Question for recent RCCL Alaska cruisers from Vancouver: ArriveCAN and testing

I am confused as to whether Covid testing is required before a cruise from Vancouver. Canada's travel website -- and recent travellers -- say that testing is not required, but there's a cruise travel page on Canada's website that says testing IS required if you are cruising from Canada. It's somewhat of a moot point because RCCL is still requiring testing prior to boarding, but here are my specific questions.  

We are flying from Texas to Vancouver on June 4 to board Serenade on June 5. We will do our pre-cruise testing on Friday, June 3 at a local Walgreen's with emailed results sent quickly.  We have to complete ArriveCAN 72 hours before boarding.  Question 1: We have an 11:00 am boarding time for June 5, so am I correct that we can complete ArriveCAN anytime on Friday (because we will be within the 72 hours)?  Or do we have to complete ArriveCAN within 72 hours of our FLIGHT and then complete a second ArriveCAN for the "marine entry"?  

Question 2:  When you enter your arrival location in ArriveCAN, I've seen that most people are entering the address for Canada Place cruise terminal and the name of the ship.  If we are spending one night pre-cruise in Vancouver, do we enter the hotel name?  Or still Canada Place/the ship?

I have purchased six eMed online proctored tests to take with us (there are 4 of us). When we get off the ship on Sun. June 12, we are spending that night in Vancouver before flying back to Texas on Mon. June 13.  To satisfy the U.S. requirements for testing one day prior to a flight returning to the U.S., I plan to use the eMed tests while we are at our post-cruise hotel.   Question 3:  Do we have to do another ArriveCAN before departing the ship on June 12 or does the original ArriveCAN (which includes the start and end dates of the cruise) suffice?

Question 4:  Can you start ArriveCAN on a computer and finish on a phone?  I type so much faster on a computer.  

What else am I forgetting or misunderstanding?  Please be specific!  These are the things that keep me awake at night.  🙂 

Edited by Kellie in Texas

I can offer responses to Question #1- you are required to complete a second ArriveCAN for your cruise after you arrive into Canada.  On the app you select you are travelling by “marine”. It is best to complete this before you arrive at the port so your check in process goes smooth. 

Question #3-you do not need to complete another ArriveCAN on June 12. The one you completed prior to boarding the ship is for your return on the 12th. 

I am hoping others can assist with your other questions. 

OP, please review the updated ArriveCan (May 10 version).

You must complete the Arrive Can within seventy two hours of your arrival into Canada by air. You are an arrival by air, not marine. Your flight information for the Vancouver airport is the correct choice for you.

You will enter your test results into Arrive Can. Canada requires testing for cruise travel.

The phone app and on line version are now synchronized and information can be entered by either method. 

You update your original Arrive Can information for your Marine arrival on June 12.

I have not checked the new version, but for the old version, your quarantine information was the first night hotel and then the ship.

Edited by Homosassa

Q1 - Yup, you 'Arrive in CANada' by air, with no Covid test needed at that point - so fire up ArriveCAN right now to get familiar with the app, add yourself, your kids, your spouse, and anyone else traveling with you (max 8 people per trip) as all the info about you, vaxx status, passport number etc. does not change and there is no time limit.

Then when you hit the 72 mark preflight, do ArriveCAN with your trip-specific info (arriving by air, at scheduled time of that) and just pick all the people from your list of saved travelers. Easy peasy!

Edit - since you are flying in, you may also get the delight of a free extra Covid test! If so you'll be sent to do that at the airport before leaving for your hotel... unless it's hellabusy, in which case you may be given a test kit to take away which must be taken within 24 hours. eMed type teleconferencing is built-in, and there are multiple drop sites around the city e.g. Shoppers Drugmart stores.

Q2 - if it asks for destination address, which I believe is now required since the May 15th update, yes you would use your Hotel as that is the first local address you will have.

Where things then get potentially woolly is your cruise - if the ship leaves Canada and does not return, you may be OK without a second ArriveCAN entry. Regardless, you CANNOT enter that trip until AFTER YOU HAVE ACTUALLY ENTERED THE COUNTRY BY AIR. ArriveCAN only holds ONE live trip,  so if you add your cruise you over-write your flight, and now you get kicked out before you even get in!

Once you are here, try entering cruise details - the Port of Entry is the important thing to get right, so if you are e.g. leaving Vancouver, hitting up Skagway, Kethcikan, Juneau, ISP etc. then returning to Vancouver at the end, it's the date and ETA for that last day... but if you stop at Prince Rupert, Victoria etc. then whichever is the first Canadian port, and the expected time of arrival there, is what you enter. 

Q3 - Getting OFF the ship is easy,  the ArriveCAN trip you enter before embarkation includes the fact you get on AND get off, no second ArriveCAN needed. You will need to Covid test to fly back to the US, barring rule changes before your trip, but your eMed kits should handle that in your post-cruise hotel.

And no to Q4 - you CANNOT mix'n'match, as the behind-the-scenes data storage is not the same. Start on the App, finish on the App; or ditto for using the Web version (NB: this is not Desktop specific, ANY device using a compatible browser can use the Web version - right now Internet Explorer does not work, but both Chrome and Firefox seem fine and I've heard Safari on Apple devices also works. Just turn off all your protective Anti-ad, spam, script type addons to avoid problems!) Since you are flying in first, you may want to use the Web version - as that allows you to also preemptively file your Customs declaration, a pilot being run at YVR for now that if successful will be added to App later on.

Edited by martincath
  • Thanks 1

But what happens if you are getting on in Vancouver and staying on the ship in Seward for the trip back?  Will we need to update for the return trip or is this just one trip?

21 hours ago, LeeW said:

But what happens if you are getting on in Vancouver and staying on the ship in Seward for the trip back?  Will we need to update for the return trip or is this just one trip?

You do not require an ArriveCAN submission for the Vancouver to Seward because you are not entering Canada. You will require one for the Seward to Vancouver trip. 

31 minutes ago, barbienj said:

What do you put if you are arriving into Vancouver by bus?

I also arrived for my Ovation sailing last week by bus. I can’t remember exactly what it said, but was obvious by wording. We cruised on a Thurs., tested on Tues., filled out my ArriveCan after neg test results on Tues, and took bus up on Wednesday. Never had to fill out a 2nd ArriveCan. First hand knowledge, but it could be different for others.

On 5/18/2022 at 8:42 AM, Kellie in Texas said:

.  Question 1: We have an 11:00 am boarding time for June 5, so am I correct that we can complete ArriveCAN anytime on Friday (because we will be within the 72 hours)?  

You will need to show your ArriveCAN code at the airport when you check in to your flight to leave the US. 

Question 2:  When you enter your arrival location in ArriveCAN, I've seen that most people are entering the address for Canada Place cruise terminal and the name of the ship.  If we are spending one night pre-cruise in Vancouver, do we enter the hotel name?  Or still Canada Place/the ship?

Use the hotel or cruise ship terminal - both are correct.   You'll be fine.

Question 4:  Can you start ArriveCAN on a computer and finish on a phone?  I type so much faster on a computer.  

If I were you - I'd do it all on your phone.   And then when you get your QR code - take a screenshot of it so you have a copy just in case the app crashes or you can't gain access at check-in.

On 5/18/2022 at 12:28 PM, LeeW said:

I Just got off Radiance today and did Vancouver Seward and back to Vancouver for arrivecan I use the day I boarded radiance as date of embarkation and disembarkation day As my date of arrival. They did not check for proof of our arrivecan At check-in Vancouver and wellness check in Seward or upon arrival in Vancouver.   For port of entry be sure to use Vancouver cruise ship operations. The Internet on board would be dreadfully slow In three days leading up to the return leg starting so I did arrive can This Way to avoid Internet issues

Edited by sergeant655

On 5/19/2022 at 9:46 AM, barbienj said:

What do you put if you are arriving into Vancouver by bus?

If you mean what to enter in the fields on the app - this would be a Land entry, at the Blaine (Surrey) border crossing, for any of the Seattle-Vancouver I5 corridor buses. The app also asks for a time - if it's QuickShuttle, their schedule gives a time they stop at BLI airport - add 30mins to that time as your ETA at the border. If it's a cruise shuttle, then I would add 2.5 hours from the time of your scheduled departure from SEATAC or 2 hours from downtown Seattle (but don't worry, traffic is notoriously variable so if you are late or - much more unusually - early, they'll still let you in!)

Since the most recent app update you also get asked a Destination Address - if you have a Precruise hotel, enter that. If you are risking same-day travel, Canada Place Cruise Terminal (at 999 Canada Place) would be the right address to add.

Note also that you will likely need to make a second entry for your cruise - important, do NOT add your cruise info until after you have crossed the border! Whether flying in or driving, you need to use the planned border-crossing method, date, and time to actually be allowed into the country. The app only holds one live trip, so you MUST wait until after you actually arrive before adding your next trip, for the cruise itself...

You likely won't have to actually show the receipt to anyone at the border, generally only the cruise check-in minions are asking for it to be displayed - CBSA staff can see all the details onscreen because it's linked to your travel documents, so whether they swipe your passport, scan your NEXUS card or whatever, your ArriveCAN trip data pops up along with everything else. You should make sure you have a printout, or battery life on your phone, in case they ask - but if the receipt comes up with the expected 'good' letter codes indicating you are vaxxed you probably won't be asked for it.