ArriveCAN question

dave34

Arriving in Vancouver on Saturday, one night at pan pacific than boarding Nieuw Amsterdam on Sunday. In ArriveCAN what address do I put in ? Not sure if I put hotel or ship in for destination. Thanks for any help 

We are also arriving tomorrow and staying at Pan Pacific.  I entered Holland America and Pier information for address.  This worked and there was a popup when I started to input this address.

999 Canada Place

Vancouver, BC V6C 3E1

• Thanks 1

My fellow Canadian may be answering from the perspective of us local residents and thus answering correctly for themselves, but inadvertently misleading the tourists! Us Canadians do still need to complete ArriveCAN but of course we are already inside the country! For you tourists flying or driving in before cruising, the FIRST ArriveCAN entry needs your hotel entered, not the ship, and your mode of entry at that first border crossing on the date and time you expect to get here.

ArriveCAN is not smart enough or invasive enough to know where you are when you enter the data - so you absolutely can enter your cruise info, pier location etc. now - but that's wrong as you first have to get across the border... If you complete it for your cruise before you get on the plane/drive across, you will be refused entry! At best, they'll make you fill it out again with the correct details so you better have the App and phone data rather than a paper printout from your desktop at home... at worst, no entry to Canada for you are you are not compliant with current regulations.

Every time you 'Arrive in CANada' you make a separate trip entry - the app only holds one live trip, so you must get over the border first before you make the second entry for cruising. Otherwise the app simply overwrites any future trip whenever you make a new entry.

Both of the above visitors should choose an Air entry (or land if driving), on the date and time they expect to enter Canada, with the pre-cruise hotel as the requested destination address. Then after you get to the hotel, use their WiFi to add your next trip - a Marine Cruise, entering Canada on (date and location of your first Canadian port, expected time of arrival).

It's super-quick on the second and subsequent trips, because all the travelers you entered the first time are stored - ID and Vaxx status doesn't change, so literally all you have to do is input the new trip date, destination, and then add people from your list.

Edited by martincath
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, martincath said:

My fellow Canadian may be answering from the perspective of us local residents and thus answering correctly for themselves, but inadvertently misleading the tourists! Us Canadians do still need to complete ArriveCAN but of course we are already inside the country! For you tourists flying or driving in before cruising, the FIRST ArriveCAN entry needs your hotel entered, not the ship, and your mode of entry at that first border crossing on the date and time you expect to get here.

ArriveCAN is not smart enough or invasive enough to know where you are when you enter the data - so you absolutely can enter your cruise info, pier location etc. now - but that's wrong as you first have to get across the border... If you complete it for your cruise before you get on the plane/drive across, you will be refused entry! At best, they'll make you fill it out again with the correct details so you better have the App and phone data rather than a paper printout from your desktop at home... at worst, no entry to Canada for you are you are not compliant with current regulations.

Every time you 'Arrive in CANada' you make a separate trip entry - the app only holds one live trip, so you must get over the border first before you make the second entry for cruising. Otherwise the app simply overwrites any future trip whenever you make a new entry.

Both of the above visitors should choose an Air entry (or land if driving), on the date and time they expect to enter Canada, with the pre-cruise hotel as the requested destination address. Then after you get to the hotel, use their WiFi to add your next trip - a Marine Cruise, entering Canada on (date and location of your first Canadian port, expected time of arrival).

It's super-quick on the second and subsequent trips, because all the travelers you entered the first time are stored - ID and Vaxx status doesn't change, so literally all you have to do is input the new trip date, destination, and then add people from your list.

Very helpful post.  Thanks you.  My question is once you are in Canada and are departing Vancouver on a cruise that ends in Alaska and has no Canadian ports is a second Arrivecan trip entry needed.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, drk said:

Very helpful post.  Thanks you.  My question is once you are in Canada and are departing Vancouver on a cruise that ends in Alaska and has no Canadian ports is a second Arrivecan trip entry needed.  Thanks again.

No, a second ArriveCAN entry isn't required if the cruise will not enter any Canadian port.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 2

@drk Fouremco is correct (or we're both wrong!), that's how I interpret it too as the cruise never arrives in Canada... but there do seem to be a few folks posting from their northbounds about having it at check-in, though so far I think they've all been B2B people so this might be a case of '2 separate cruises are one cruise if booked that way, so even though many people board this and never come back some do and we will treat them accordingly.'

Not enough posts for me to have a firm opinion if this is a case of deliberate training (K.I.S.S. principles mean always asking every passenger for ArriveCAN is less likely to result in a failure which costs the line money, as Canada has already issued fines in respect of folks allowed to board without having completed ArriveCAN), failure of training consistency (only some staff ask for it when not needed), failure to flag a given vessel's route to check-in staff (if they think it's RT then they're going to ask), or a legit breakdown of requirements to the individual passenger level, with staff asking for folks who are boarding a Northbound and also returning South immediately - frankly if it is this last case, I'm impressed at the quality of shore-side training and the risk tolerance for SNAFUs!!!

Given the time hassle of fighting your way up the management chain to complain about being asked for something not legally required, compared to the less-than-two-minutes of making another entry on the app, if you get asked for it I'd be tempted to just comply and then go fight for some sort of freebie on-board later, as it will save you a lot of time...

I don't view this as an interpretation, as the ArriveCAN website is quite straightforward on this issue:

Who needs to use ArriveCAN

All travellers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN unless you're exempt from this requirement due to an accessibility need.

You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours:

• before your arrival to Canada
  • and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada

There is no current requirement to make an ArriveCAN submission for a cruise embarking at a Canadian port but not stopping elsewhere in Canada or disembarking in Canada at the end of the cruise. Note, however, that until the wording of this section was amended earlier this month, it stated that you needed to provide an ArriveCAN submission when boarding a cruise in Canada irrespective of the destination. This is no longer the case.

On the Canadian Cruisers board, with posters from all the cruiselines, there are lengthy threads on the subject of ArriveCAN. I've not seen a single post where a cruiseline has demanded that passengers produce an ArriveCAN receipt for cruises other than those governed by the ArriveCAN requirements.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 12:30 PM, Fouremco said:

There is no current requirement to make an ArriveCAN submission for a cruise embarking at a Canadian port but not stopping elsewhere in Canada or disembarking in Canada at the end of the cruise. Note, however, that until the wording of this section was amended earlier this month, it stated that you needed to provide an ArriveCAN submission when boarding a cruise in Canada irrespective of the destination. This is no longer the case.

I think the confusion here is for the Montreal - Boston one way cruise, where the destination is not Canada but it does stop in Canadian ports after Montreal, such as Quebec City, Halifax etc. So agreed with the previous poster, it's a 2 minute thing so why not just make time to do it anyways. If you're never asked to produce (because the ones on Zaandam reported that they didn't ask this) then you don't lose much other than the 2 minutes it takes you to set that up. But if you ARE asked to produce at checkin, you will kick yourself for not having set this up earlier at home / in the hotel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nyold said:

I think the confusion here is for the Montreal - Boston one way cruise, where the destination is not Canada but it does stop in Canadian ports after Montreal, such as Quebec City, Halifax etc. So agreed with the previous poster, it's a 2 minute thing so why not just make time to do it anyways. If you're never asked to produce (because the ones on Zaandam reported that they didn't ask this) then you don't lose much other than the 2 minutes it takes you to set that up. But if you ARE asked to produce at checkin, you will kick yourself for not having set this up earlier at home / in the hotel. 

Two different scenarios:

1. For a Montreal - Boston cruise, your are already in Canada and remain there until you leave Canadian waters and continue on to the US. At no point do you "enter" Canada as you have never left, and no ArriveCAN submission is required.

2. A Vancouver - Alaska - Vancouver cruise takes you out of Canada and into a foreign country before re-entering Canada and returning to Vancouver. As your cruise enters Canada having visited a foreign country, an ArriveCAN submission is required.

In my previous post, I thought it was understood that we are talking about cruises that cross into foreign waters. Perhaps there would be less confusion if I amended it to say: "There is no current requirement to make an ArriveCAN submission for a cruise embarking at a Canadian port but not stopping elsewhere in Canada or disembarking in Canada at the end of the cruise having first entered foreign waters."

• Like 1

Two questions - I'm sailing from Boston to Montreal on Saturday and doing a back-to-back cruise Montreal back to Boston. First port of entry is Halifax. Do I answer "yes" my cruise ends in Canada since the first cruise does even though I'm sailing back to Boston (assuming a negative Covid test)? Second question - what address do I use for the location in Canada I will be staying? I don't plan on staying. Do I list the cruise terminal in Montreal and the ship?? Thanks for the help in advance!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, teaberrry said:

Two questions - I'm sailing from Boston to Montreal on Saturday and doing a back-to-back cruise Montreal back to Boston. First port of entry is Halifax. Do I answer "yes" my cruise ends in Canada since the first cruise does even though I'm sailing back to Boston (assuming a negative Covid test)? Second question - what address do I use for the location in Canada I will be staying? I don't plan on staying. Do I list the cruise terminal in Montreal and the ship?? Thanks for the help in advance!

Following!  I'll be doing the same Itinerary in August.  Also, wondering if we have a Covid Test before Boarding in Boston will we need to retest to do the 2nd Leg, Montreal to Boston.  

7 hours ago, teaberrry said:

As a B2B passenger, your cruise ends in Boston. Consequently, for the question "Is your cruise terminating in Canada?" the answer is "No."  The question of the address at which you will be staying won't even pop up now.

43 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

Following!  I'll be doing the same Itinerary in August.  Also, wondering if we have a Covid Test before Boarding in Boston will we need to retest to do the 2nd Leg, Montreal to Boston.  

There is no current requirement for a retest for the second leg, just a negative test prior to your initial embarkation in Boston. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As a B2B passenger, your cruise ends in Boston. Consequently, for the question "Is your cruise terminating in Canada?" the answer is "No."  The question of the address at which you will be staying won't even pop up now.

Thank you! I have been confused about this because of what the Holland America website says about back-to-back cruises and the requirement to test between sailings:

Guests on back-to-back voyages will need to disembark the ship at the end of each voyage, receive a complimentary viral COVID-19 test, and will be permitted to board the ship again once they receive a negative test result. 

Our current policy is that guests will not need to pack and disembark with luggage for this testing between cruises.  Final details will be confirmed once on board, including when and where to go for testing.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding on the next voyage, together with their family members and close contacts who are not fully vaccinated. If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

We will closely monitor all guidance and will adapt and evolve this policy accordingly.

Just returned from Zuiderdam round trip Vancouver. We filled out ArriveCAN twice. Once for our pre night hotel stay at the Fairmont Harbor Front.  Used the hotels address.  Second time for the cruise itself using the ships name.  There were ground staff checking to make sure that the ArriveCAN was filled out for the cruise prior to boarding.

3 minutes ago, TransOceanCruiser said:

Just returned from Zuiderdam round trip Vancouver. We filled out ArriveCAN twice. Once for our pre night hotel stay at the Fairmont Harbor Front.  Used the hotels address.  Second time for the cruise itself using the ships name.  There were ground staff checking to make sure that the ArriveCAN was filled out for the cruise prior to boarding.

Question: where did you do your COVID testing before returning home?

GrayLady, When Holland America changed their testing situation, we changed our return travel plans. We purchased the transfer from HAL to Seattle.  It was the same cost per person as a rapid test at the Vancouver airport.  When you cross the border by land no test is required.  

29 minutes ago, teaberrry said:

Thank you! I have been confused about this because of what the Holland America website says about back-to-back cruises and the requirement to test between sailings:

Guests on back-to-back voyages will need to disembark the ship at the end of each voyage, receive a complimentary viral COVID-19 test, and will be permitted to board the ship again once they receive a negative test result. 

Our current policy is that guests will not need to pack and disembark with luggage for this testing between cruises.  Final details will be confirmed once on board, including when and where to go for testing.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding on the next voyage, together with their family members and close contacts who are not fully vaccinated. If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

We will closely monitor all guidance and will adapt and evolve this policy accordingly.

Can you provide a link to the text you have quoted? That certainly was the policy, but I think you'll find that HAL dropped the re-testing for B2B passengers within the past month.