Bermuda $40 travel application fee

Hawkstar33

Was on another thread and had a few questions in regard to this.  I got a few answers, but was hoping to see if there were any issues getting this application approved, in order to go to Bermuda... A couple others have had issues. Currently our application is pending, as we have yet to do our pre board covid tests.  We leave 6/2 on Summit

I’m going to add an inquiry to this as I’m on the same cruise. Is there ANY benefit to applying early and waiting for the link to upload one’s negative test? I know it’s only $80 but should we test positive that is out the window. I was actually wondering if the process might be smoother if we apply and upload everything AT ONCE 2 days before boarding….on the other hand, if it actually speeds the process up we will apply early. 🤷‍♀️ (What a headache)

I have the same concerns about getting not having our application approved before arriving at the pier.  Has this happened to anyone, and were you allowed to board with a pending application status?  

I found that there was no advantage to applying early.   When you reach the 2 days prior to travel you get an e-mail from Bermuda with a link to your application and you can then upload your documents.  From what I can see there was nothing done with my application until I attached my documents.

One warning -  My Navica test results were password protected and I didn't realize it so my initial application was rejected because they couldn't open it.  I re-uploaded and it took about 8 hours to get approval.

55 minutes ago, ConnMom said:

I have the same concerns about getting not having our application approved before arriving at the pier.  Has this happened to anyone, and were you allowed to board with a pending application status?  

On our TA there were about 200+ people who showed up at the pier without having applied for one.   They were not permitted to board the ship and had to remain in the pier with limited seating for up to 7 hours.  The ship left late.   Celebrity did send water and sandwiches to the pier to give those ashore something to eat.

If you don't get an approval close to boarding time simply call the toll free number and they will process it almost imminently.     The Bermuda Government also has a couple representatives at the pier but due to intermittent internet they were also having trouble assisting. 

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I found that there was no advantage to applying early.   When you reach the 2 days prior to travel you get an e-mail from Bermuda with a link to your application and you can then upload your documents.  From what I can see there was nothing done with my application until I attached my documents.

One warning -  My Navica test results were password protected and I didn't realize it so my initial application was rejected because they couldn't open it.  I re-uploaded and it took about 8 hours to get approval.

On our TA there were about 200+ people who showed up at the pier without having applied for one.   They were not permitted to board the ship and had to remain in the pier with limited seating for up to 7 hours.  The ship left late.   Celebrity did send water and sandwiches to the pier to give those ashore something to eat.

If you don't get an approval close to boarding time simply call the toll free number and they will process it almost imminently.     The Bermuda Government also has a couple representatives at the pier but due to intermittent internet they were also having trouble assisting. 

Is there something special we need to do to make sure our test results aren’t password protected? I’ve heard other people mention that same issue! Do they not tell you how to send it to whomever requires it? Eeeek….this entire thing is stressing me out.  

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ah but what they have done when you apply early as they request is taken care of getting you set up in their system and ready to go once they have your test results.  There are many discussions about this in the NCL forum, as NCL has been sailing to Bermuda since last September.  Many thousands of cruisers have successfully gone through the Bermuda TA process (which used to cost $75pp, btw).  It’s totally do-able. 

I talked to the Bermuda travel yesterday since I had not received my link for the negative test.  She sent it while we were on the phone.  I ask her if they were open for calls on Saturday or Sunday if needed.  The answer was YES.  Also asked if all else fails, is there a Bermuda representative at the Summit check in.  Again the answer was YES.  So if uploading does not work for some reason, show your vaccine card and/or negative test results to the Bermuda rep at the ship and all is good.  Let's just RELAX.  (After we get our negative test results)   

I am so happy that Newport was put back on our itinerary. Don't care why just happpppy.  See everyone onboard on Monday on the Summit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Ah but what they have done when you apply early as they request is taken care of getting you set up in their system and ready to go once they have your test results.  There are many discussions about this in the NCL forum, as NCL has been sailing to Bermuda since last September.  Many thousands of cruisers have successfully gone through the Bermuda TA process (which used to cost $75pp, btw).  It’s totally do-able. 

You are correct and of course I did it.    In my case I think it may have saved me 5 minutes when I submitted my documents.  

I guess each person can go to the site and look at the questions they are asking and see if it makes sense to do it in advance.   I'm the type that if it opens at 30 days prior to arrival I will log in on that day and to it.

As you said.  It was very easy and by doing it in advance you already have paid for it.

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You are correct and of course I did it.    In my case I think it may have saved me 5 minutes when I submitted my documents.  

Jim, I don't think doing it in advance as Bermuda suggests is so much about saving each individual applicant time, but about not having, say, 1,500 cruise ship pax all upload their travel authorization applications at the same time a couple of days before the cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

Jim, I don't think doing it in advance as Bermuda suggests is so much about saving each individual applicant time, but about not having, say, 1,500 cruise ship pax all upload their travel authorization applications at the same time a couple of days before the cruise.

Maybe.   As far as I could see they did nothing with my application until I re-submitted with the documents.  When I got the link to upload my documents it was the same application and I could change any of the questions.   If I recall the only thing that may have happened was my Credit Card was processed within seconds of submitting.

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They have modified the process effective May 21. So now you can apply in advance and only need to bring your test result to the terminal. No need to upload test results.

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

Another change: they have removed the requirement for a second covid test if your ship calls at another port (e.g., Newport) before calling at Bermuda, as long as the ship doesn't take more than 4 days to get to Bermuda.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, durberville said:

I’m going to add an inquiry to this as I’m on the same cruise. Is there ANY benefit to applying early and waiting for the link to upload one’s negative test? I know it’s only $80 but should we test positive that is out the window. I was actually wondering if the process might be smoother if we apply and upload everything AT ONCE 2 days before boarding….on the other hand, if it actually speeds the process up we will apply early. 🤷‍♀️ (What a headache)

you can register 30 days in advance. I would do so asap. Based on the total picture, $80 shouldn't even be a consideration. nobody hare can guarantee that if you wait it will be processed timely.

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

you can register 30 days in advance. I would do so asap. Based on the total picture, $80 shouldn't even be a consideration. nobody hare can guarantee that if you wait it will be processed timely.

Yes, agreed. We’ve applied today and have had our application acknowledged. They revised the rules today and said we no longer have to upload our negative tests - just present them at embarkation with the approved TA. This does relieve some of the stress. The two step uploading process was a worry for me. 👍🏻🙂

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, durberville said:

Yes, agreed. We’ve applied today and have had our application acknowledged. They revised the rules today and said we no longer have to upload our negative tests - just present them at embarkation with the approved TA. This does relieve some of the stress. The two step uploading process was a worry for me. 👍🏻🙂

How fast will you get your eta?

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

How fast will you get your eta?

Hmmmm? ETA <- estimated time of arrival? Sorry if I don’t know the lingo. 😬 if you mean our test results - we’ve purchased the ship’s eMed proctored tests and will take them early morning 2 days before embarkation…so I’m hoping we will have the results in plenty of time? ( Please don’t give me another worry haha!)

2 hours ago, durberville said:

Please note that Bermuda added additional language today that treats applications made "on or before May 21, May 22, and May 23" differently than those submitted later -- the negative test results must still be uploaded.  The new rules (no upload of test results required) kicks in for applications made "after May 24" (although they clearly mean on or after May 24).  Maybe they did this to give cruise lines time to let guests as as well as embarkation port staff know.  At any rate, here's the latest language:

Cruise Passenger Travel Authorisation

Effective for applications made on or before May 21, 22 & 23, 2022 for travel on those dates:

1. All Passengers must apply for and have an approved Bermuda Travel Authorisation (TA) before arriving at the terminal.
  2. Fill in your application, upload your vaccine and your negative Covid-19 pre-travel test, pay $40 by Visa/Mastercard.  You will receive notification via email that your application has been received and is in for review.
  3. When your application is approved you will receive the approved form in your email – bring this with you to the terminal.
  4. If further information is required on your application – you will receive an email with instructions on what is required.
  5. Bring your Vaccine Card, Travel Authorisation & your negative Covid 19 pre-travel test with you to the terminal.

If you are making an application or have made an application for travel after May 24, 2022:

1. All passengers MUST have an approved Bermuda Travel Authorisation (TA) before arriving at the terminal.

2. Failing to apply for and receive an approved TA at least 2 weeks prior to travel will result in delayed boarding for you and your party.

3. All you need to do is fill in the application, upload your vaccination card and pay $40 by credit card. You will receive your approved document by email.

4. You must show your approved Travel Authorisation at embarkation, along with your negative COVID-19 test result, even if you have already uploaded it.

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

Oh for heaven’s sakes!! They changed that wording after I was on the application site this morning. UGH! I’m seriously over the whole stupid thing….but thank you! 😆 We will upload our negative tests as soon as we get them. 

BLAH. 

edited to add….that wording is a tad unclear. I applied today, May 21st for travel June 2nd. Your highlighted paragraph (which was all that was there this morning, hence my post) seems to apply to me. That said, I don’t have a problem uploading if I must. 

Edited by durberville

Wording is not clear.  I applied 2 weeks ago for the Bermuda ETA entry travel authorization. Got the received email.  Yesterday when I read the new posting on the Bermuda gov site, I read it and thought that we had to bring our application receipt, show our negative Covid test, vax card, passport at the dock on June 2.  Now when I read it again, it is ambiguous.  I will be looking for the email for Bermuda.  Hopefully it will be clear as to what to do.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Wording is not clear.  I applied 2 weeks ago for the Bermuda ETA entry travel authorization. Got the received email.  Yesterday when I read the new posting on the Bermuda gov site, I read it and thought that we had to bring our application receipt, show our negative Covid test, vax card, passport at the dock on June 2.  Now when I read it again, it is ambiguous.  I will be looking for the email for Bermuda.  Hopefully it will be clear as to what to do.  

Very thing is clear as mud. If you applied 2 weeks ago and have yet to receive the eta, then what hope have I to receive mine before embarkation? I really was thinking  of waiting until I had our negative tests as I thought submitting everything at once would streamline things….foresee a long phone call to Bermuda in my future. 

On 5/22/2022 at 9:41 AM, durberville said:

Very thing is clear as mud. If you applied 2 weeks ago and have yet to receive the eta, then what hope have I to receive mine before embarkation? I really was thinking  of waiting until I had our negative tests as I thought submitting everything at once would streamline things….foresee a long phone call to Bermuda in my future. 

I moved my test up a day, then will send results to the travel pass. Hoping the extra day will help with  approval.   I too see the phone call coming

So how wil this be handled on a B2B. Say Summit from Boston to Canada and then Boston to MIA this fall with the first port being Bermuda. Celebrity procedure has been testing onboard for B2B in the past. Now will the passenger have to possibly expose their credit card numbers by requesting a Travel Authorization from ships internet. I never ever do any transactions of this sort from the ship. Too risky.

Today, my spouse got an email with a link to an approved Travel Authorization. Printed it. Email said that we don’t need to send test results to Bermuda.  Change went into effect a few days ago. Bring test results to embarkation where they will be checked. Also bring vax card and passport.  
still waiting for my email.  Strange since we submitted our applications a few minutes apart.  Hope to see my email soon.

• Like 1