South America: West to East side, or East to West side? Best months?

manteonc

It looks like we would really enjoy one of the cruises that travels around South America. This is my first stop to find information. If you have a preference for west to east vs east side to west, please tell me why. Also, favorite times and times to avoid?  Which particular cruise is your favorite?  Im looking at the 31 day,  and slightly wondering about bland food burnout with no Tamarind option on the Oosterdam. (Wow, is that ever a first world whine).  14 days is our longest cruise so far. I look forward to hearing your South America tales. 

We would suggest that you look at our photos and review . It was our 3 rd time there and we loved the trip and the counter-clockwise direction . It was probably our favorite trip and scenery while cruising but beware of scams with taxis at the airports in Santiago and Buenos Aries !

Edited by scubacruiserx2

I'm also considering this itinerary.......oh heck, I've been eyeballing it for about 15 years!!  The fabulous pictures from @scubacruiserx2 have definitely piqued my interest!!!  Leaning towards one between Buenos Aires and Santiago. 

For me, I think it depends a lot on if I want to spend extra time before or after in Buenos Aires/Argentina area or Santiago/Valparaiso, Chile area. I would consider an Easter Island (Rapa Nui) added on land trip after because the one time I was there by ship we didn't make it onto land due to hazardous tendering conditions.....so close, yet so far!

I also really prefer east to west itineraries of any sort due to the time changes adding hours not removing hours!

Food for thought,

~Nancy

My first question is are you looking at a cruise that includes Antarctica? That is the only thing that makes a difference as far as I'm concerned. 
I've done the Rio to Santiago cruise once, Buenos Aires to Santiago once, and the Santiago to Buenos Aires once; all included Antarctica. 

Without Antarctica, I would say the cruises are about equal as far as direction goes. It really doesn't matter. If the itineraries are any different, then choose based on itinerary. 

If you are looking at including Antarctica, then starting on the east coast you head over and eventually start to see little bergie bits, which get larger and larger as you get closer to the continent. Eventually you see huge icebergs, several stories high, flat on top. Very impressive. 
After you have spent several days there you sail back across to South America, satiated from the experience. 
When you get to the glaciers and icebergs in Chile it feels like a real let-down after the impressive sights of the 7th continent. 
Starting on the west coast of South America you see the Chilean glaciers first, so there is an opportunity to be impressed by them. However, you miss being impressed by the icebergs as you leave Antarctica, as they are getting smaller and smaller as you head to the east coast of South America. 

As I said at the beginning, if you are doing Antarctica, direction makes a difference, and you have to choose between being impressed by the approach to Antarctica, or the glaciers of Chile. 
Without Antarctica, it really doesn't make a difference. 
Except, returning to the United States is one time zone closer to home from the west coast of South America. That can matter, as it's a long ride home. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oakridger said:

For me, I think it depends a lot on if I want to spend extra time before or after in Buenos Aires/Argentina area or Santiago/Valparaiso, Chile area.

All of my trips were in January, making the east coast of South America 3 hours ahead of the east coast of the US; the west coast of SA is 2 hours ahead of US eastern time in January.
Going in advance is critical to recover from the long flight, as well as the time difference. 

A very specific consideration:

Regardless of the cruise line, If you wish to take the flight tour to Torres del Paine from Punta Arenas, the port call has to be about 12 hours long. The Santiago to Argentina itineraries usually have a shorter time in port in Punta Arenas, and don’t offer this tour. The tour is usually available on Argentina to Chile itineraries, when ships usually spend more time in that port.

@manteonc, are you looking at the March 10, 2023 31-day itinerary that goes from BA to Ft. Lauderdale?  I'm booked on that cruise and wanted to start on the east coast so I could spend a little time pre-cruise in BA.  Not sure what you mean by bland food burnout.  I think HAL offers a good variety of food.  I'm more concerned with having to be offloaded at the end with a crane. 😂

We have a roll call going if you decide to book.  The 31-day itinerary is really 2 cruises rolled into one.  We have some people doing all 31 days, some doing the BA to Santiago, and some going from Santiago to Ft. Lauderdale. 

Yes, that is one of the ones we are considering.  I did not mean to disparage the food, and that was a poor choice of wording.  I certainly eat my share while on board.  I think a better choice of words would be “31 days without the diversity of flavor profiles offered by a visit now and then to Tamarind.”  If we decide to join I will check out the rollcall thread.  Thank you

• Like 1