QM2 May 15th sailing

ak1004

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

My "negativity" was balanced by few good and great things that I mentioned. I believe my review was very objective and balanced, especially when compared to some other recent reviews.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=686180

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=686464

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=685560

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=686678

But yes, I understand that no review will have any impact on the "regulars" - and that's completely fine. Some people like to experience and compare different products, others like to stick to what they know. We have friends who were sailing exclusively on Celebrity for 15+ years. After trying Oceania they are not going back to Celebrity. 

I don't read reviews so they definitely have no impact on  me.

Your comment

'Maybe some people took it too personally that I don't consider Cunard to be a luxury line, but that's their problem'.

forms the basis of my replies and the fact as  no one has shown specifically they have a problem with that, all comments have been based on personal experience, just as yours were, and not out of antipathy to your non luxury convictions.

IF there's a next time for you with Cunard, I hope you'll enjoy. 

6 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I don't read reviews so they definitely have no impact on  me.

Your comment

'Maybe some people took it too personally that I don't consider Cunard to be a luxury line, but that's their problem'.

forms the basis of my replies and the fact as  no one has shown specifically they have a problem with that, all comments have been based on personal experience, just as yours were, and not out of antipathy to your non luxury convictions.

IF there's a next time for you with Cunard, I hope you'll enjoy. 

Thank you. 

None of the deficiencies I mentioned was not a deal breaker for us, so it is definitely possible we will be sailing on Cunard again if the itinerary and the price are good. And who knows, maybe next time it will be in the Grills.. 

• Like 1

Can I ask about the upkeep of the ship?  I saw a video review just as it re-entered service after the covid suspension and the reviewers felt that it was sorely in need of some refreshing - stained sunbeds, unvarnished woodwork and so on.  My impression is these were the areas exposed to the elements, rather than internals.  They felt that it was all fixable but might take several months to work through.

How were those things on your trip?

22 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

Can I ask about the upkeep of the ship?  I saw a video review just as it re-entered service after the covid suspension and the reviewers felt that it was sorely in need of some refreshing - stained sunbeds, unvarnished woodwork and so on.  My impression is these were the areas exposed to the elements, rather than internals.  They felt that it was all fixable but might take several months to work through.

External maintenance painting and vanishing act is constant at sea weather permitting

16 minutes ago, sogne said:

External maintenance painting and vanishing act is constant at sea weather permitting

Yes, but the question is really has the three months or so it has been in operation been enough to get it back to the standard it was before the hiatus, or is more still needed? Similarly have all the toppers for sun beds that were weather stained been replaced?

My guess is yes, but it needs someone who has been on recently to confirm that.

Edited by WestonOne

1 hour ago, WestonOne said:

Yes, but the question is really has the three months or so it has been in operation been enough to get it back to the standard it was before the hiatus, or is more still needed? Similarly have all the toppers for sun beds that were weather stained been replaced?

My guess is yes, but it needs someone who has been on recently to confirm that.

I was on 4 28 nights in Feb don't use sunbeds but many did in the Caribbean so I expect they were happy with them 

6 hours ago, WestonOne said:

We felt that overall the ship is in a good shape, but since it's 18 years old already and was last refurbished in 2016 if I'm not mistaken, there are areas that need some "refreshment".  We did see some rusty railings, tired carpets and some seats in the theater that need to be renewed. Also some of the reclining seats in the planetarium don't recline properly. Nothing major, and considering its age, it seems very well maintained.

We were on the deck only on the first day (it was pretty chilly the rest of the sailing), but we saw some people using the sunbeds, so I assume they were fine.

7 hours ago, ak1004 said:

We felt that overall the ship is in a good shape, but since it's 18 years old already and was last refurbished in 2016 if I'm not mistaken, there are areas that need some "refreshment".  We did see some rusty railings, tired carpets and some seats in the theater that need to be renewed. Also some of the reclining seats in the planetarium don't recline properly. Nothing major, and considering its age, it seems very well maintained.

We were on the deck only on the first day (it was pretty chilly the rest of the sailing), but we saw some people using the sunbeds, so I assume they were fine.

We were on her in 2017 after she was renewed and had the Deck 13 added on. She looked pretty good at that time. We thought after coming out of the ship yard before the first sailing after they resumed during C-19 they covered many points on her. We know visible pictures of her hull had a new coat.

Mentioning the seats in the Illumination Theater - Planetarium have been an ongoing problem since we started to sail on her quite some time ago. Don't know if different seat design is needed since then encourage reclining to view the presentations. 

I agree the carpeting always needs work since the constant trafficening of wheeled carts, walking and exchange of luggage carts causes the wear and tear.  She is a busy ship in all parts and very hard to cover all the bases.

We give them credit when sailing with crew always painting and rinsing the structure but salt water is very caustic because of the salt air and water. 

• Like 1

One of the side effects of the constant maintenance is that, at some stage, if lounging on the balcony, you will be aware of the smell of paint or varnish. Not the nicest of smells, but at the same time reassurance that the ship is being looked after.

I was on the May 15th sailing and noticed a few more maintenance issues as well. They all seemed minor - rust, missing plastic tiles around hot tubs, some deck chairs and pads looking a little tired - but there were more than I had seen on my prior crossings.  For me, I was willing to give Cunard a pass because with the difficult times they and other lines are going through, something has to give and I’m fine with it being cosmetic maintenance, especially since my fares on my EB and upcoming WB were much lower than those on pre-Covid transatlantic cruises.

Like Ak1004, I agree that the ship was overall well maintained.  

Thank you ak1004 for taking time to review your voyage (which was also my voyage). Enjoyed reading it.  We had some similar observations and some that weren’t, but that’s par for the course on a ship with 1000+ people.  I didn’t think your review was negative just because you didn’t like aspects of the Cunard experience. You stated what you liked, didn’t like, and a reader can draw their own experience as to whether what you noted was important to them.     

Edited by RalphWiggum
Typos
  • Like 2

This was an interesting thread and I appreciate the OP giving a description and review of this crossing.  I was on the same crossing (my third on the Queen Mary 2) and planned to write my own review, but (due to my procrastination) will limit myself to adding a few thoughts to this thread. 

I was surprisingly disappointed with this cruise, but I will start with the positives.  I thought the service was excellent by wait staff and cabin attendant-- generally everyone I had dealings with including the purser's desk.  The ship itself is beautiful and clean and has some great special touches that other ships do not have, such as the planetarium, full-deck promenade deck, and large library and bookstore.  I also really liked the regular entertainers on the ship--the Royal Theatre singers and dancers and the entertainers in the lounges.   

Now the negatives.  I booked a Princess grill for the first time as a special treat (using all the money I did not spend on vacations the last three years).  The cabin itself was beautiful--very large (with a walk-in closet and additional large closet) and a large balcony.  The bathroom had a bathtub (probably the first time I had one on a ship (although the sides were too high, so getting in and out was difficult)).  But the room service menu was very limited, I resented having to pay for the drink plan, and the food in the Princess Grill, while good, was not necessarily better than the Britannia Restaurant meals, if I remember them correctly (although the lounge with drinks and snacks was very nice).  I was also disappointed in the food in Kings Grill--I expected some staples always available (pizza, burgers) but no; a limited selection of foods without offering basic American dishes.  The balcony was big but no loungers, such wicker seats without foot stools.  But the most frustrating thing during the cruise was the technology--or lack thereof.  Although there is an app (My Voyage I think it is called), mine did not work most of the time and one had to re-log into the wi-fi periodically.  Also, the cabin tv was not interactive--no ordering room service, making reservations, or checking one's account on the tv--which has become standard on most (all) other cruise lines and most hotels.  Also, no movies to order on the tv (although there was a nice selection of movies to watch and the daily shows/lectures were shown on the tv the next day).  

I know a lot of people like the formality of Cunard--the tuxedos and gowns--as did I on my first Cunard cruise, but I am over it and would have preferred a more casual dress code (which is what all the luxury lines have gone to), so one of Cunard's major selling points did not make up for what was lacking in terms of technology and convenience.  

(I am probably also a minority in being disappointed in the Theatre at Sea theme on this cruise--stars of the West End that were on board were incredibly talented singers, but the song selections were terrible--very few hits, mostly obscure songs rather than show-stoppers (for example, the song picked to highlight Andrew Lloyd Weber was from Starlight Express--the only musical he produced that was not a hit).  But to each his own; I am glad the entertainment was appreciated by others.)  

Some other observations--this was one of the first cruises in which there no mask mandate (such a recommendation); the cruise started with about 90-95% of passengers (referred to annoyingly as customers by Cunard) wearing masks but ending with about 5-10% of passengers in masks by the end of the crossing; the bathroom products were all liquid (I am really glad I brought my own bar soap); one part of Kings Court changes to a specialty restaurant at night and the cuisine changes about half-way through the cruise (Italian to Indian on my crossing; the last time I cruised there were multiple options every day).  

Finally, I would agree that this is not a luxury cruise experience, even at the Princess Grill level.  I have sailed on only two luxury lines (Silversea and Crystal (sigh) and a lot of little things keep Cunard from that level--specifically charging for drinks (so it is not all-inclusive) and a limited room service menu.  

I am glad others enjoy Cunard, but I will explore some new cruise lines (Viking, Virgin, maybe even Ponant).   

Edited by flag fan
  • Like 1