What exactly does "We'll get you home" Policy actually mean?

26 minutes ago, StangGT909 said:

Roughly speaking,  how much was the travel insurance per person?

Delta was $218 for both of us combined.     I can't remember what the RCL was.        At least with Delta - you can click the link and they tell you before you buy what the cost is.

1 hour ago, Lane Hog said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what all the worrying is about... this is what travel insurance is for.

If I come down with Covid, regardless if I'm on a cruise or at home, my employer would force to stay out for 10-14 days.  I'd much rather stay in a hotel room than at home.

Really?! I’ve had Covid, quarantined in the comfort of my own home, not stuck in one room with a window that doesn’t open. I’d hate to be trapped in a quarantine hotel.

• Like 2

If it helps, this is the letter I received onboard Ovation in the second week of May:

Dear Guest,

When you test positive for COVID-19 during your cruise, our health and safety protocols require you to isolate onboard. Isolation times may vary based on the applicable public health guidelines in effect for your voyage. During this isolation period you may be subject to additional testing. If as a result of this additional testing our medical team onboard determines that you are able to discontinue isolating, you must continue to wear a well-fitting mask while outside your stateroom and eat all meals in your stateroom. 

If public health regulations at your port of disembarkation require you to continue to isolate after you voyage ends, the following options are available:

Guests Who Live Within Driving Distance of the Port

Drive Your Own Car Home: If you drove your own car to the port, you may drive it home and complete the isolation period in the comfort of your own home. 

Arrange a Rental Car to Drive Home: Alternatively, you can arrange a rental car to drive yourself home. The costs associated with the car rental can be reimbursed, up to $150 USD per day. 

Guests Who Do Not Live Within Driving Distance of the Port or are Unable to Drive

Continue Isolating in Shoreside Accommodations: You can choose to continue isolating ashore by arranging your own accommodations. A list of local hotels is available upon request. Based on the location of your accommodation, we may be able to assist you in arranging private transportation to the hotel. Accommodation costs can later be reimbursed, up to a limit of $ 250 USD per hotel room per night, as well as meal costs, up to $ 100 USD per person, per day. Air change fees are covered up to $ 400 USD per person. Once you are ready to submit your reimbursement claim, please email RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com.

After you have completed the isolation period, we can assist with travel arrangements to get you and members of your traveling party back home. If you booked your air arrangements through us, you can contact our Travel Team at +1 (800) 256-6649 then select option 2 for assistance. 

If public health regulations at your port of disembarkation do not require you to continue isolating after your voyage ends, you may disembark and continue your travel journey. If you require a negative test result to return home, you will need to arrange this test on your own, with a local vendor. You will be solely responsible for the cost of any accommodations required shoreside while you await a negative test result to resume your journey home.

We hope this information is helpful to you, and we thank you for your continued cooperation and understanding. 

  

Sincerely, 

Guest Services Team

Royal rearranged our flights for us from Seattle back to the UK. We had to book our own hotel - I have submitted the receipts for hotel and meals - I have yet to hear back, so am currently out of pocket. We did not need to test to return to the UK, thankfully, as we were still testing positive 12 days later. Royal just pushed the flight by 2 days so we could complete quarantine. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MichFish said:

I did the trick of doing the eMed proctored test the day we got into Vancouver - while I was still on the boat.....   myself, and my travelling party all tested negative - so we didn't have to deal with it - but I felt much better after researching thoroughly.

This is one of the options I'm considering for our cruise when we return to Vancouver.  Did you use the ship's wifi or cell service for this?  

4 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Read blog from someone on the Wonder TA who tested positive. Royal did pick up most of the tab for the 5 days the wife was in a Barcelona Quarantine hotel.  Husband was out of luck, was not allowed to visit while wife was quarantined or allowed to stay in same hotel. He said traveling without insurance was the height of stupidity. 

Yeah read that as happening to them. Many don't think about this situation, they will all stay in Hotel together. Nope, only one Family Member with CV they are Quarantined with no access by rest of them on their own...

Edited by ONECRUISER

7 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yeah read that as happening to them. Many don't think about this situation, they will all stay in Hotel together. Nope, only one Family Member with CV they are Quarantined with no access by rest of them on their own...

+1   Yes, that free hotel room for the positive person doesn't look so go when the other people in the party are booking a $250 and up room for who knows how many days?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

I guess that would vary with the airline....we fly Lufthansa which is allowing fee free changes even for economy since covid (still is, as of yesterday at least)

We're flying SAS with a similar policy but we're still responsible for the difference in price which makes me nervous.  I can't imagine what a last minute price is from Europe to the US compared to the discount rate I got months earlier.  

• Like 1

We were offered the $250/$100/$400 last week. I have submitted receipts and received a form email saying they have 30 days to pay. Will report back if there are any issues with reimbursement. Time will tell. They do look to be bringing in a lot of cash right now with full ships and high prices.

I wish I could submit for my lost week of benefit time at work. We had Royal's insurance for this sailing, not sure if that will help facilitate getting paid back for expenses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hummingbird33 said:

This is one of the options I'm considering for our cruise when we return to Vancouver.  Did you use the ship's wifi or cell service for this?  

I used cell.  The Wi-Fi was awful on board.   I have ATT and they have a program for unlimited cell/text/data for 10/day out of the US.  

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

+1   Yes, that free hotel room for the positive person doesn't look so go when the other people in the party are booking a $250 and up room for who knows how many days?

SOLO Traveler all but once last 20+ yrs. So no issues here but feel for the CC Members that posted last few weeks and were separated far from home. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

SOLO Traveler all but once last 20+ yrs. So no issues here but feel for the CC Members that posted last few weeks and were separated far from home. 

Makes it rough too in these times when there are ALOT of cruisers who still never buy Travel/vacation/cruise insurance.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Makes it rough too in these times when there are ALOT of cruisers who still never buy Travel/vacation/cruise insurance.

Agree, for yrs I didn't in times CV and a TA, defiantly needed more now 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StangGT909 said:

Thank you for the comments, this is exactly the strategy I was looking for!   And the same boat!

Keep us posted to how it goes tomorrow

You're welcome.

Your strategy (post #12) is spot on. A number of us onboard tested yesterday using the free, non-proctored home test kits, that we brought with us......all negative.

Today is a sea-day...hoping the internet will be ok during our proctored test in our cabin. I will let you know.

12 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

You're welcome.

Your strategy (post #12) is spot on. A number of us onboard tested yesterday using the free, non-proctored home test kits, that we brought with us......all negative.

Today is a sea-day...hoping the internet will be ok during our proctored test in our cabin. I will let you know.

Thanks again for the confirmation and let us know how your situation turns out.

I agree with everyone that buying insurance eliminates all concerns, however I think with a reasonable amount of strategy like stated in post # 12,  seems like a good way to do it if saving money was a priority for you

4 hours ago, StangGT909 said:

Thanks again for the confirmation and let us know how your situation turns out.

I agree with everyone that buying insurance eliminates all concerns, however I think with a reasonable amount of strategy like stated in post # 12,  seems like a good way to do it if saving money was a priority for you

Update...

* We tested today, sea-day, in our cabin...internet was good...eMed was easy...all negative...woohoo! :classic_smile:

• Like 1