With all the orange on the CDC dashboard how easy is it to social distance?

Staci0615

Going on a cruise in 3 weeks,, my fist post CoVid ,while I use common sense was wondering how easy it is to social distance and spend time outdoors.   Would love to hear from some who had cruised recently.  thanks

Hello, 

if you take the stairs, ask for the far most table for diner on deck 5, eat at the buffet at outside rush hours, enter the theater after the beginning of the show and seat on upper deck further in the front where there is not a lot of people, don't attend to the social activities, find a lounge chair somewhere else than the pool deck…. You will be able to apply social distanciation. 

That's what we did, and we masked at all time except outside, and eating and drinking, and….. we still got COVID on Eclipse. 🤧

Have a great day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, vana said:

Hello, 

if you take the stairs, ask for the far most table for diner on deck 5, eat at the buffet at outside rush hours, enter the theater after the beginning of the show and seat on upper deck further in the front where there is not a lot of people, don't attend to the social activities, find a lounge chair somewhere else than the pool deck…. You will be able to apply social distanciation. 

That's what we did, and we masked at all time except outside, and eating and drinking, and….. we still got COVID on Eclipse. 🤧

Have a great day

That’s not what I wanted to hear….I guess I will just make sure I pack meds and hope for the best.  I know I have antibodies so I shouldn’t get deathly ill but I do hate getting sick.

I would definitely take any meds that you usually use for the common cold. I would also take Airborne or similar meds to help you resist viruses.Also, drink a gin and tonic every night for the quinine. 🙂

1 hour ago, Staci0615 said:

Going on a cruise in 3 weeks,, my fist post CoVid ,while I use common sense was wondering how easy it is to social distance and spend time outdoors.   Would love to hear from some who had cruised recently.  thanks

How easy is it to spend time outdoors?  Pretty easy except that there’s no food there after Mast Grill closes

I just returned from the Equinox on May 15th and tried to social distance while indoors.  I rarely took elevators and when I did I wore my mask.  I participated in Silent Disco but found a place to dance that wasn't super close to others and when listening to music wasn't super close to anyone else.  I did eat in the dining room and buffet.  At the theater (only went to a couple of times during the 9 night cruise) wore a mask and/or set away from others.

I was very fortunate and neither myself nor the friend I travelled with came down with Covid on the ship or when we returned.  I also wore a mask on the plane going and coming.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

On our Apex cruise in late April, I found that eating meals was the riskiest part of the cruise for me.  I think the ship was about 70-75% full, so the dining rooms were very busy through the evening and we were most often seated at a table for two that was just 10-12 inches from the tables on either side of us.  I always requested a table that had some distance from others, but  never received one.  For breakfast or lunch it was not too difficult to find outside seating at Eden or the buffet or to order room service, and if you avoid the busiest times, you could even maintain some social distancing while selecting your food, which was always served by staff.  The biggest downside of the outside seating is that most areas are in the sun and it can be unpleasantly hot.  But it is a safer choice, and we used it.

Otherwise, I found that I could distance in most situations, wear a mask, and enjoy most of the experiences we look forward to while cruising.  It required more planning and some adjustments, but  I was so happy to be back on a cruise that the adjustments were worth it.

I hope you have a wonderful and safe return to cruising.  

I can only speak of Silhouette and the dynamics and passenger load.   We were on the TA with 80% US and 20% British -  Ship was at about 50% capacity and social distancing was pretty easy and very good respect of distancing.

The next Cruise - Spain, Portugal and France was 80% British  and 20% Americans and at 90% capacity. The UK Government had dropped all regulations around Covid and thus the new passengers acted like pre-covid.       Social distancing was non-existent and just didn't seem like anyone cared.   Often we would be far away from anyone and someone would come over and sit right next to us even though lots of seating at a distance were available.  We would get up and move. 

We were on a B2B2b and wore N-95 mask on our flight and 100% of time outside.   The staff were really good at seating us in a social distanced location in Luminae and we only drank in Retreat  always social distanced.     We both tested positive on turn around day even though I per-tested the night before and was negative.    On our cruise we lost 2 Stateroom attendants, 2 butlers and a wine Somellier so I suspect it was touch transfer but of course will never know.

All you can do is mask up, use hand sanitizer and hope you get lucky. We have done 4 cruises and the 4th on Apex gave us covid. I think the ships are petri dishes for it. Everything you touch, someone else has touched it also. The air inside can only circulate so much of it out.  Take medication with you as I have read the ship stores no longer stock anything.  Have fun, good luck.