Why hasn't Celebrity offered a Covid test the last afternoon of the cruise for those that need it.

TomTN

Guest ldtr
15 hours ago, Expo67 said:

Hmmm 🤔 … potentially unless the the person who has contracted Covid is negative on the day before testing but can still infect you. Each passing week provides more proof that testing on the new variants provides minimal lead time for prevention of spreading the virus unless it is performed the same day of travel. 

However testing will catch some of those that might otherwise spread the virus to other passengers. By reducing the number of potentially infectious, the odds of their being anyone infected among the 200 or so passengers is reduced below the incidence rate of the disease.

Protective measures do not guarantee that everyone will not catch the illness since none are perfect.  What they will do is reduce the rate of spread fairly dramatically and as such reduce the number of cases and the overall impact of the illness.

1 hour ago, sherylc said:

On board the Reflection right now RT Rome. They just changed their Covid testing rules today to allow passengers that are flying home within 1 day of disembarking to test onboard ($65 each). Testing will be late afternoon/evening on day prior to returning to Rome. Also given option of buying emed testing to be handed out at port or making a reservation at FCO for testing. 

Thank you for providing this.  We are booked on Reflection R/T Civitavecchia returning early AM 4 July and schedule to fly out if FCO at 1000.  Have been searching testing locations at the 3 July stop in Italy with little luck since its a Sunday and almost all pharmacies are closed.  If Refection continues this policy its very helpful to all flying post cruise on day of arrival.  I tried to change the flight departure date and Celebrity Air was not having any of that - Nyet on changing dates.

• Like 2

Guest ldtr
2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Be careful discussing death rates.  Overall since 2020 is one figure but not relevant now.  But looking at just 2022 with Omicron-only vs. Influenza is quite different.  And of course hard to tease out the data on people with Covid vaccines, number of boosters, and also people with Influenza vaccines (or not).  And underlying medical conditions. But agree we can all be careful, courteous and cautious, and live with the virus going forward.  No other choice!

The rates I am using is current comparing current 7 day moving averages  annualized, compared to flu annualized. So it is using Covid at pretty much near its low point with new strains, number of pre-existing infections and vaccines in use.  So even with all of the protections at current rates the number will be 3 times the normal annual number for the flu in the US.

The next few years will be very interesting  when it comes to data.  Not even looking at Covid but instead looking at it from the overall mortality numbers for any reason, longevity calculations, as will as number for specific causes such as heart disease, strokes, etc.  Normal prior to 2020 the number of deaths per year in the US increased by 1-2% a year due the aging percentage of the population in 2020 it increased by 18%.  Enough that longevity in the US decreased by 2 years. 

One would hope that the total numbers would actually drop for 2021 and certainly when the numbers for 2022 come out.  Improvements in Covid mortality might be offset by other long term health event,  It will be interesting to watch.

It all comes down to one should still take advantage of the protections that are available as they go about living their lives.

7 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Thank you for providing this.  We are booked on Reflection R/T Civitavecchia returning early AM 4 July and schedule to fly out if FCO at 1000.  Have been searching testing locations at the 3 July stop in Italy with little luck since its a Sunday and almost all pharmacies are closed.  If Refection continues this policy its very helpful to all flying post cruise on day of arrival.  I tried to change the flight departure date and Celebrity Air was not having any of that - Nyet on changing dates.

Never mind the testing, but a 10:00 a.m. flight is cutting it really close. See if you can take a later flight on the same day.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

That's very good news... perhaps an acknowledgement that the cost of having to house positive pax was worth avoiding the negative PR being caused by offloading positive patients in Italy with their tough protocols there.

So first you all know why the situation was what is was. Now you know why the policy changed. Next up....you'll all take personal credit for positing your complaint here and the company changing policy because less than a dozen people posted their malcontent.

3 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

So first you all know why the situation was what is was. Now you know why the policy changed. Next up....you'll all take personal credit for positing your complaint here and the company changing policy because less than a dozen people posted their malcontent.

Perhaps you missed the word "perhaps"?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are absolutely right they do not want to have to keep you on board if you test positive. Just got off Constellation last Thursday. Officer told us they had quite a few passengers from the previous cruise they had to quarantine on board. He told us CDC says 5 days but they kept them 10 days. They do not want it to be their problem. I even showed then a screenshot from their website that they would provide testing for US to disembark. Also, stated it would be complimentary for those booking before November 16. They told me I was on the US Celebrity website and since we were in Italy I needed to be on the Celebrity Italy website! Must have stupid written on my forehead! Very disappointed in Celebrity! (And I’ve been on 20+ cruises with them just for information purposes!). 

13 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I'd get that changed if you can. Even if you do self-assist walk off as early as possible, it's almost an hour drive to the airport from Civitavecchia port (barring accidents/delays). 

Appreciate the advice.  Have been traveling internationally since 1960 to include through FCO and understand the challenges.  Over month ago requested Celebrity Air to revise the flight itinerary and offered to stay at the FCO Hilton until 6 July at our own expense and catch the same flight schedule.  Nope - no way.  And this is on paid business class tickets.  I'm more concerned about obtaining the required COVID tests for US entry.

2 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Appreciate the advice.  Have been traveling internationally since 1960 to include through FCO and understand the challenges.  Over month ago requested Celebrity Air to revise the flight itinerary and offered to stay at the FCO Hilton until 6 July at our own expense and catch the same flight schedule.  Nope - no way.  And this is on paid business class tickets.  I'm more concerned about obtaining the required COVID tests for US entry.

Understand.....I made the suggestion as Celebrity had routed us (after a direct day prior pre-cruise flight) to a red eye arriving the morning of the cruise. I was able to get them to change it to the previous day same flights/time so thought maybe they would do something for you. 

As for the test.....my DH tested onboard APEX last Wednesday using an EMed online proctored test. 

21 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

My husband did an EMed test mid-day on APEX last week. The only problem he had was when trying to log into EMed it didn't recognize his log-in and he had to create a new one. We talked to others who experienced the same thing. No problem staying connected and we did in on a cell phone. The ship was on it's way back to Amsterdam and it was a sea day.

That's a risk because if the connection breaks down the entire test and that includes the kit itself is invalidated.

3 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

That's a risk because if the connection breaks down the entire test and that includes the kit itself is invalidated.

We were aware of that possibility and had a backup kit. Testing in the Amsterdam cruise ship terminal would have been difficult and waiting until you got to a very crowded Schiphol airport to test not any better. 

54 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

We have the same problem since the nonstops to ORD were moved earlier to 10am departures. I booked a room in Rome and if we make the flight, great. If not, they can deal with it. After 45 days for a response and "10 more days" several times to follow up on escalating the request for a 12:50 flight, I decided they can deal with it if we miss the original flight. I'm not calling anymore. 

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, Irish Mary said:

You are absolutely right they do not want to have to keep you on board if you test positive. Just got off Constellation last Thursday. Officer told us they had quite a few passengers from the previous cruise they had to quarantine on board. He told us CDC says 5 days but they kept them 10 days. They do not want it to be their problem. I even showed then a screenshot from their website that they would provide testing for US to disembark. Also, stated it would be complimentary for those booking before November 16. They told me I was on the US Celebrity website and since we were in Italy I needed to be on the Celebrity Italy website! Must have stupid written on my forehead! Very disappointed in Celebrity! (And I’ve been on 20+ cruises with them just for information purposes!). 

BS

The Celebrity Italian web site lists the terms and conditions under which people from Italy books cruises.  Unless you are Italian and booked through  that site it does not apply.  If you booked via the US Celebrity web site then it is the terms and conditions under which you booked.  The only question is if the web site page and any qualifiers based upon where the cruises were departing from.  Some companies have different policies by region, though they do state it on their US web site.

I would write Celebrity and send them both the page and your discussion with the ships officer.  

The cruise lines have always tended to be a bit sleazy when it comes to limiting what they are responsible for, but these days it is rising to new levels of both inconsistency and ignoring their own stated policies.

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

BS

The cruise lines have always tended to be a bit sleazy when it comes to limiting what they are responsible for, but these days it is rising to new levels of both inconsistency and ignoring their own stated policies.

Are you saying officers from Guest Service will say anything to make a problem go away 😱😉

How can you tell an officer is lying! 
Their lips are moving 🙄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We were aware of that possibility and had a backup kit. Testing in the Amsterdam cruise ship terminal would have been difficult and waiting until you got to a very crowded Schiphol airport to test not any better. 

Have you looked into proctored testing using the free FDA approved test kits? This way if you have a connection problem, you still have reserve kits. There are some that offer 24 hour testing. Look into this site. They have helped many people and operate on whatever time zone you are in.

https://www.totaltestingsolutions.com/virtual-travel-testing/

I sailed on beyond cruise 4/27-5/7 & can attest to this topic. I wasn't feeling good during my cruise with my daughter & spouse and I went to medical. I was dizzy. I was given verious tests and was given a cane to help with balance! I had to cancel 3 excursions. My mistake was not asking for a covid test! We purchased & administered on-line covid test AFTER we left the ship as per Celebrity health protocol! U guessed it! Our final port was Barcelona, Spain. & my daughter & I tested positive @ the airport because WiFi @ the port terminal couldn't handle multip!e users and it was suggested we use Airport WiFi because bandwidth was more robust! Anyway, my daughter & I tested positive and my spouse tested positive 'luckily' when she got home. There were not any Celebrity resources available physically or by phone who could help us in our predicament. We had to fend for ourselves in a foreign country and find housing until we tested negative. My daughter tested negative 7 days into our ordeal and I made it after 9 days. All expenses were my responsibility. I found that out after numerous and conflicting conversations with various celebrity support teams. The final discussion was Celebrity emergency response team was Celebrity does not reimburse for European cruises with covid issues.

Bottom line I'm out $3k and lesson learned. I should have asked for a civid test when I went to medical & also bring a home test with me for future cruises so that I can self test on board and advise appropriate personnel to take action necessary for myself and fellow cruisers who may get covid. I should add that Celebrity personnel I talked to tried their best under the circumstance but the bureaucracy of the corporation made it difficult for personnel to give any definitive answers.

1 hour ago, Plvtraveler said:

I sailed on beyond cruise 4/27-5/7 & can attest to this topic. I wasn't feeling good during my cruise with my daughter & spouse and I went to medical. I was dizzy. I was given verious tests and was given a cane to help with balance! I had to cancel 3 excursions. My mistake was not asking for a covid test! We purchased & administered on-line covid test AFTER we left the ship as per Celebrity health protocol! U guessed it! Our final port was Barcelona, Spain. & my daughter & I tested positive @ the airport because WiFi @ the port terminal couldn't handle multip!e users and it was suggested we use Airport WiFi because bandwidth was more robust! Anyway, my daughter & I tested positive and my spouse tested positive 'luckily' when she got home. There were not any Celebrity resources available physically or by phone who could help us in our predicament. We had to fend for ourselves in a foreign country and find housing until we tested negative. My daughter tested negative 7 days into our ordeal and I made it after 9 days. All expenses were my responsibility. I found that out after numerous and conflicting conversations with various celebrity support teams. The final discussion was Celebrity emergency response team was Celebrity does not reimburse for European cruises with covid issues.

Bottom line I'm out $3k and lesson learned. I should have asked for a civid test when I went to medical & also bring a home test with me for future cruises so that I can self test on board and advise appropriate personnel to take action necessary for myself and fellow cruisers who may get covid. I should add that Celebrity personnel I talked to tried their best under the circumstance but the bureaucracy of the corporation made it difficult for personnel to give any definitive answers.

Thanks for sharing.  I'm sorry this happened to you.  I hope you and your daughter get well soon. 🙏

I'm surprised they didn't test you for COVID-19 when you went to medical.  I thought it was routine, both onboard and on land, that when you go in for emergency medical services, that you would be tested.  I guess I'm wrong - not for the first time.  🙈🙉🙊

I often thought the same thing. I know anyone under 5 doesn't have to be vaccinated and will be given a complimentary test. If supply for that sailing allows it, why can't passengers who need it use the app or website to book a complimentary test for re-entry into their home country or port of call?

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I often thought the same thing. I know anyone under 5 doesn't have to be vaccinated and will be given a complimentary test. If supply for that sailing allows it, why can't passengers who need it use the app or website to book a complimentary test for re-entry into their home country or port of call?

While that would be great and helpful I don't think Celebrity wants to have to handle positive cases onboard. Once you're off the ship and test positive it's not their problem.

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2022 at 9:56 AM, sherylc said:

On board the Reflection right now RT Rome. They just changed their Covid testing rules today to allow passengers that are flying home within 1 day of disembarking to test onboard ($65 each). Testing will be late afternoon/evening on day prior to returning to Rome. Also given option of buying emed testing to be handed out at port or making a reservation at FCO for testing. 

Thank you so much for this info.  I am sailing on June 13 and have purchased the emed tests but like having a backup.

7 hours ago, Plvtraveler said:

They didn’t test you for covid? Amazing

Guest ldtr

There have been posts on various cruise lines where people have reported getting rather rude comments from the medical department when they have brought tests on board, self tested due to symptoms, and then called medical to report the positive results.  If I recall correctly a couple of them were after they reported symptoms and the cruise line declined to test them, so they tested themself.