A Bit of Caution of Taxi Drivers Needed at Amsterdam Cruise Terminal

We just returned from a 14 night round trip cruise from Amsterdam, May 8th through May 22nd on Holland America's Rotterdam.  When we arrived in Amsterdam on May 7th we took a taxi from the airport to the Movenpick Hotel, which is right next door to the cruise terminal.  The cost was 65 euros.

Disembarking the ship on May 22nd, we went to the Amsterdam Cruise Terminal's taxi stand and were directed to the next taxi in line.  Our bags were loaded into the vehicle and my husband asked what the approximate fare would be.  (He always does this.)  The driver quoted him 130 euros.😮  What?!  So we told him we wouldn't go with him, and got into a different taxi, which, with the meter running, cost us 65 euros.  We tipped him generously.

Always be aware of what you might be getting yourself into, no matter where you are.😏

Unfortunately we have heard stories about some "cowboy"cabdrivers at the terminal. Indeed check your rate or prebook at a decent company. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 8:23 AM, Ine said:

Unfortunately we have heard stories about some "cowboy"cabdrivers at the terminal. Indeed check your rate or prebook at a decent company. 

Can you suggest any particular dependable and fairly-priced companies?

1 hour ago, kccrzr said:

Can you suggest any particular dependable and fairly-priced companies?

These are some of the official cabs in Amsterdam. Check their website for details and prices. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, majmaj4 said:

Can you use Uber to and/or from the port?

To the port yes, from the port only if you walk away from the cruise terminal. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2022 at 2:54 AM, Ine said:

To the port yes, from the port only if you walk away from the cruise terminal. 

So there is a taxi stand at the cruise terminal?  I did not see that mentioned in any of the literature I have read.  Is there a taxi stand near the Viking River Cruise dock in Amsterdam?  We will be arriving via Viking but then sailing on Celebrity Apex 4 days later.

5 hours ago, Snit13 said:

So there is a taxi stand at the cruise terminal?  I did not see that mentioned in any of the literature I have read.  Is there a taxi stand near the Viking River Cruise dock in Amsterdam?  We will be arriving via Viking but then sailing on Celebrity Apex 4 days later.

Yes there is a taxistand at the cruise terminal. But there might be a line of passengers depending how many people disembark the ship at the same time. Often the exact docking place of rivercruise ships is

known  only a few days before. Almost all of them dock more or less around Centraal Station. I am sure that any cabdriver knows about it and there sure will be some cabs around by then. 

On 7/27/2022 at 2:57 AM, Ine said:

Yes there is a taxistand at the cruise terminal. But there might be a line of passengers depending how many people disembark the ship at the same time. Often the exact docking place of rivercruise ships is

known  only a few days before. Almost all of them dock more or less around Centraal Station. I am sure that any cabdriver knows about it and there sure will be some cabs around by then. 

Normally Celebrity cruises in USA want you off the ship by 9am local time.  Since our flight is the following day we have no need to exit earlier.  We have a hotel booked near airport and I seem to remember check in is 2pm or later.  When we arrive in Amsterdam from our Viking River Cruise our hotel for the 4 nights is relatively close to Central Station area and again check in most likely is in the afternoon.  Hope to be able to find a taxi to hotel as it might be difficult walking for blocks with luggage.

On 6/9/2022 at 11:57 AM, Ine said:

These are some of the official cabs in Amsterdam. Check their website for details and prices. 

Hi Ine,

Can you confirm that all these companies are legit?

I priced a transfer from AMS to our hotel in Rotterdam and TCA is quoting €177, while it is €159 with Taxi Direct and only €136 with Staxi.  The price difference does ring a few alarm bells! 

51 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Hi Ine,

I priced a transfer from AMS to our hotel in Rotterdam and TCA is quoting €177, while it is €159 with Taxi Direct and only €136 with Staxi.  The price difference does ring a few alarm bells! 

I have no personal experience with STaxi,  however they are on the list of certified cabs. It might depend on what type of car will be used. Difficult to advise what to do, I think I would choose one of the others to be sure. I have no idea what this company charges but it also is an excellent business. http://www.abcbusiness-limo.com/index1_eng.htm

2 hours ago, Ine said:

I have no personal experience with STaxi,  however they are on the list of certified cabs. It might depend on what type of car will be used. Difficult to advise what to do, I think I would choose one of the others to be sure. I have no idea what this company charges but it also is an excellent business. http://www.abcbusiness-limo.com/index1_eng.htm

Thanks!

On further examination it seems that Staxi require pre payment in full, whereas with Taxi Direct we can pay the driver.  

Again, thanks for the insight.

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Hi Ine,

Reading you conversation with @Ine: About STaxi: Son in law booked two 6/8-seaters for the 7 of us last May for the trip to the cruise terminal in Ams and the return trip after our HAL cruise. Paid in advance for the return trip.  Good cars, friendly and helpful drivers. One of the 2 was a little bit late for the return trip, but overall we were content.  Price not comparable with the prices you mention, as our children live in the region of AMS.  But another HAL passenger I know, paid € 260 for the trip to and from the AMS terminal from her home address quite a few kilometers further than Rotterdam. They hired a local company, but it is an indication.  Hiring in advance and a return trip can have advantages. JMO.