Suggestions for planning my final (non ship) excursion choices in Seward and anchorage

Kate-in-Canada

Hello all!

super excited for my first cruise and first time seeing Alaska in aug on celebrity mill.

so far I have booked excursions through the ship:

Ketchikan - Ancient Totem Poles and Rainforest Canoe Ride

Icy Strait Point - Gondola

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier River Rafting

Skagway - White Pass Scenic Railway

Hubbards cruising - sadly all the small boat tours already sold out

ending in Seward.  I have the rest of the disembark day to do something in Seward. Then the following day I have until evening as I am booked on the evening train to Anchorage.

does anyone have a specific suggestion of what to do while I am in Seward those days? I was thinking maybe a boat whale watching tour or bear watching?

after arriving in anchorage late night, I have all day the next day free to plan something, as I fly out the following day in the morning.  Any suggestions what to do with my free day in Anchorage?

one thing I would love to do, but sadly isn’t doable now is seakayaking.  Recently completed cancer treatment and still getting back into physical shape,  so long or strenuous hikes or paddling not doable yet.  Maybe next time!

cheers!

Kate

In ANC Look into a visit to Matanuska glacier. It is about a 1.5 hr drive towards Palmer. Explore one that includes transportation. I think the guides can make the walking on ice as easy as you want it and will work with your abilities. Other option to allow you to see more of the area around the glacier would be to rent a car. sightcrr. 

In Seward, look at Kenai Fjords National Park tours. There are multiple vendors that offer boat tours. Get the longest duration tour into the park to see the most glaciers and wildlife. Vendors include Kenai Fjords Tours and Major Marine.

Edited by dfilpus
  • Like 2

The day we arrived in Seward we took the 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour through Major Marine, we then took the 6pm train to Anchorage.

Our day in anchorage we did a sightseeing tour with PicTours (booked through Viator)

I would highly recommend both tours!!!

Another vote for 6 hr Major Marine tour. We did it before we got on Ship. We saw ,3 different kinds of Whales and Black Bear and other animals. Was a Great tour. We stayed at their hotel also the Harbor 360 and all were very accommodating

Options in Seward include Exit Glacier, a visit to the SeaLife Center and a day cruise through Kenai Fjords National Park.

My favorite vendor for the day cruises is also Major Marine.  Excellent sound system.  They partner with Kenai Fjords National Park so have a ranger onboard providing narration.  And I also like the fact that they "assign" you a table which is "your" space to leave your backpack, jacket and so forth as you move thorough out the vessel.  You are not expected to remain at that table at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Options in Seward include Exit Glacier, a visit to the SeaLife Center and a day cruise through Kenai Fjords National Park.

My favorite vendor for the day cruises is also Major Marine.  Excellent sound system.  They partner with Kenai Fjords National Park so have a ranger onboard providing narration.  And I also like the fact that they "assign" you a table which is "your" space to leave your backpack, jacket and so forth as you move thorough out the vessel.  You are not expected to remain at that table at all.

I would recommend the Kenai Fjords National Park tours as well.  I sailed with another company and there seating practice was the same as what you described for Major Marine.  I was not aware that a NP Ranger provided narration on their tours, but, during my tour, narration was provided that was very good with a good PA and sound system.

10 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

, a visit to the SeaLife Center

I would recommend this as well.  

For Anchorage, a sightseeing tour around the city and the region would be a good idea.  A visit to the Anchorage Museum might be of interest to the OP.  

3 hours ago, dfilpus said:

Kenai Fjords Tours

This is the company that I used.

On 5/28/2022 at 10:27 AM, dfilpus said:

In Seward, look at Kenai Fjords National Park tours. There are multiple vendors that offer boat tours. Get the longest duration tour into the park to see the most glaciers and wildlife. Vendors include Kenai Fjords Tours and Major Marine.

Yes...this.  Longest tour possible.  We've done it a few times and it's magnificent.  The highlight of Alaska, IMO.   We did ours through Kenai Fjords Tours, but I have also heard good things about Major Marine.  I don't think you can go wrong either way.  Just get the all day tour if possible. 

So I have booked the kenai fjords with fox island all day tour for my arrival day in Seward.  
land.

think I’ll visit the sealife Center the next day before catching train to anchorage.

I looked into the bear viewing tours flying out of anchorage.  They look a,aging but a thousand bucks is a bit out of reach.

so still looking for a final adventure to end of my vacation.

Take a look at what Salmon Berry Tours offer out of Anchorage.  We’ve used them a couple of times—friendly guides and small groups.  We’ve done the independence mine tour and the glacier trek tour with them.

I highly recommend the Matanuska Glacier Trek.  It was a highlight of our trip last summer.  We loved it so much we’re doing it again this year!  The trek is not all that rigorous.  If you can walk 2 miles, you should be okay with the tour.  Ground is uneven but you’re wearing crampons.  Speak to the guides and they will adjust/adapt to any physical limitations you may have.  I sprained my knee the night before our tour.  Couldn’t climb very well but still was able to walk on the glacier and have a wonderful experience.  

Another suggestion for a day in Seward is taking the Real Alaska Tour (they work with the railroad so you won’t miss the evening train to Anchorage).  We had a day to kill in Seward before taking the train to fly from Anchorage.

We really enjoyed the tour—visited Exit Glacier, had lunch, went to Seavey’s Kennels and rode a dog cart and cuddled with puppies, and observed salmon at a weir (forgot its name) before being dropped off at the depot to catch the train.

In Anchorage, we enjoyed the Flora and Fauna Hike with https://www.gohikealaska.com/summerhiking and the Tony Knowles Coastal Cruise Bike tour with https://alaskatrailguides.com/tour/coastal-cruise-bike-tour/.  For breakfast, go to Snow City Cafe and for a great dinner, make a reservation at the Glacier Brewhouse on 5th.  Most of the shopping is located on 4th and 5th Avenues.