Queen Mary 2, 29th May round trip crossing.

D&N

Back to our new photo location with the animals.

Last night was Roaring 20s for many and lots of nice outfits were seen.

For us it was Masquerade Night, at least for a few of our photos and also a selection of the professional ones.

We knew that Nora's dance heels were an inch and a half smaller than her grey heels so went equipped with mini pegs to raise the hem. It didn't look quite as elegant on dance floor but better that than having an accident!

Compress_20220604_110306_6968.jpg

Compress_20220604_110305_5013.jpg

• Like 3

I asked this on another thread, but Hattie suggested I ask here:

Can I ask about the upkeep of the ship?  I saw a video review just as it re-entered service after the covid suspension and the reviewers felt that it was sorely in need of some refreshing - stained sunbeds, unvarnished woodwork and so on.  My impression is these were the areas exposed to the elements, rather than internals.  They felt that it was all fixable but might take several months to work through.

How were those things on your trip?

25 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

I asked this on another thread, but Hattie suggested I ask here:

Can I ask about the upkeep of the ship?  I saw a video review just as it re-entered service after the covid suspension and the reviewers felt that it was sorely in need of some refreshing - stained sunbeds, unvarnished woodwork and so on.  My impression is these were the areas exposed to the elements, rather than internals.  They felt that it was all fixable but might take several months to work through.

How were those things on your trip?

I have to say that such things don't really bother me. We haven't used sumbeds. In passing them I think I've noticed some stains but nothing that would make them unusable.

There are some carpets I wouldn't choose for photo backgrounds but it doesn't affect me walking, running or sashaying on them.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask. We're happy she can sail in a straight line at 25knts in a force 9 and we are enjoying ourselves.

• Like 5

What has been annoying me all week are the "free weights" in the gym. They were all muddled up.

My OCD couldn't take it anymore this morning and I sorted them in ascending order. 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, D&N said:

What has been annoying me all week are the "free weights" in the gym. They were all muddled up.

My OCD couldn't take it anymore this morning and I sorted them in ascending order. 😂

Er, what is a free weight? The only time I have been in a gym was when it was my emergency drill station. Are there expensive weights?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Er, what is a free weight? The only time I have been in a gym was when it was my emergency drill station. Are there expensive weights?

If you're a member of my gym, no way can you call them free, but once a member they are the weights which are on the racks ready to b e lifted out as opposed to the weights which are integral to any particular piece of machine/equipement! 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Racks??? My goodness, the place is even more of a torture chamber than I had imagined. 

Seems to be doing the job though. The scales were actually showing fractionally less this morning than on Tuesday.

We normally walk down and up 10 floors 5.5 times per day. That's; breakfast, gym (the 0.5), morning tea/coffee, lunch, afternoon tea/coffee and our evening activities.

1 hour ago, elmsliebev said:

wonderful photos. I'm impressed that Nora wears her heels all the time! My feet can't take that nowadays 😀 Any chance of a menu or 2 being posted? Enjoy the rest of your crossing. 

2.5" dance shoes take over for the energetic stuff. She was in Mephisto wedge sandals one afternoon. They're so comfy she could probably run in them.

• Like 1

Earlier this week; I had to send a coffee back in Chart Room.

Ordered Americano and a cup of brown water turned up. It didn't look right and it made no impact whatsoever on my rear taste buds.

May have been an inexperienced waiter. Mentioned to one of the regulars next day who guessed it probably came from the push button machine in the back room. But all their Illy stuff should come from the machine in Sir Samuels.

The drinks package is working out ok. We've had between 6 and 8 drinks per day plus Illys, Forte and lots of bottled/canned water. That would have been $84 to $102 per day so we are saving.

Last night's gala menu offered Châteaubriand. Didn't think any of the by the glass stuff would cope so ordered a Pomerol at $68. I'd identified about 6 Bordeaux or Burgundy's that would have done at same price point, but first one was in stock.

Downside was that we don't go in for keeping bottles, and Cunard supplied a free sparkling with the meal. By the time we reached dance floor we were less steady than usual. Back to moderation tonight!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Was the Châteaubriamd worth it?

It was on the main menu. I don't fancy the Verandah's menu.

It was delicious and perfect with the wine. The dauphinoise was another story. It looked like it came from a supermarket budget range. Nora needs to give them her recipe before we leave.

Compress_20220604_211800_0516.jpg

• Like 1

Carbonara was quite nice but not authentic. There was cream in it.

Alex of Geppetto in Nice has a video on Facebook that shows how it should be done. I think it was in French but he's quite entertaining.

• Like 1

Weather update: about 11:20 some fog appeared. We got to hear the horn quite a bit. Cleared later and it looks like we're drifting through a millpond.

Must dash to change for evening.

• Like 1

Pre aperitifs tonight. This dress shrank significantly a number of years ago. In the last 18 months it has mysteriously unshrunk and has actually got bigger than it was originally!

Compress_20220605_035055_5342.jpg

Compress_20220605_035054_4955.jpg

Tonight we danced the first set at 9 pm in the Queens Room. When they came off we found Exxile in G32.

Had another 45 minute set, including a Slow Foxtrot, 2 X Quicksteps, a Rhumba, some Cha Cha, Jive, Samba and Disco.

Their version of "Walking on Sunshine" was much better than that called as a Quickstep by the band in Queens Room.

They consist of a female vocalist with a very soulful voice, multi level keyboards, drums and lead guitar.

Nice to have a floor the size of Queens Room but it can be quite interesting dodging pillars, spin turning in and out of acute corners and making sure your partner's head gets no closer than an inch from the wooden bar top. Increase that in poor sea conditions!

Compress_20220605_035054_4570.jpg

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

And finally we pity these poor souls that have to disembark in the morning. We're looking forward to more of the same.

On the go early tomorrow but at least we get a break from the gym!

Compress_20220605_035054_4357.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, D&N said:

Tonight we danced the first set at 9 pm in the Queens Room. When they came off we found Exxile in G32.

Had another 45 minute set, including a Slow Foxtrot, 2 X Quicksteps, a Rhumba, some Cha Cha, Jive, Samba and Disco.

Their version of "Walking on Sunshine" was much better than that called as a Quickstep by the band in Queens Room.

They consist of a female vocalist with a very soulful voice, multi level keyboards, drums and lead guitar.

Nice to have a floor the size of Queens Room but it can be quite interesting dodging pillars, spin turning in and out of acute corners and making sure your partner's head gets no closer than an inch from the wooden bar top. Increase that in poor sea conditions!

Compress_20220605_035054_4570.jpg

Forgot to mention a Viennese Waltz to old time speed.

• Like 1