Queen Mary 2, 29th May round trip crossing.

D&N

Had lunch at Pier 76, Bay Street, Staten Island, and a look round outlet centre. Lots of empty shops there.

Pier 76 had something QM2 doesn't, but a bit early in day for one. The lobster mac & cheese was creamy, cheesy with firm chunks of lobster. Pizza had incredibly thin crispy base and spicy flavour.

Not as pretty as fare on board but delicious.

Compress_20220605_133408_8462.thumb.jpg.4fa9d1310560978feeb1a378b0dc6919.jpg

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, D&N said:

Had lunch at Pier 76, Bay Street, Staten Island, and a look round outlet centre. Lots of empty shops there.

Pier 76 had something QM2 doesn't, but a bit early in day for one. The lobster mac & cheese was creamy, cheesy with firm chunks of lobster. Pizza had incredibly thin crispy base and spicy flavour.

Not as pretty as fare on board but delicious.

Compress_20220605_133408_8462.thumb.jpg.4fa9d1310560978feeb1a378b0dc6919.jpg

Next time walk a few blocks down Bay Street to Flagship Brewery a true and functional brewery. Great beer 

59 minutes ago, tony s said:

Next time walk a few blocks down Bay Street to Flagship Brewery a true and functional brewery. Great beer 

Thanks, but wouldn't be much use to us. We had Italian Chardonnay at $8 a glass.

• Like 1

Took photos of Queen Mary 2 from Staten Island ferry today.

Looked like someone had washing out on deck 12.

I wonder who that could be? 🤣🤣

P1040772~2.JPG

P1040772.JPG

• Haha 1

From this morning, I thought this little chap was awfully brave to be pushing Queen Mary 2 about.

I know ships and boats are usually female but tugs just seem so macho to me.

IMG_20220605_055812691_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, D&N said:

But I've tasted Mama Nora's!

You might try the pasta restaurant that's carved out of Kings Court (don't recall the name). At breakfast on one crossing a woman at the next table was going on and on about how good it was. She sounded like a hard-core NY Italian, only makes her own pasta, and the ship's was the first that she thought was suitable for eating. I thought that was pretty high praise.

2 hours ago, frankp01 said:

You might try the pasta restaurant that's carved out of Kings Court (don't recall the name). At breakfast on one crossing a woman at the next table was going on and on about how good it was. She sounded like a hard-core NY Italian, only makes her own pasta, and the ship's was the first that she thought was suitable for eating. I thought that was pretty high praise.

Britannia Club has been good so far. In 8 nights each of us has pre ordered sole once because we didn't see anything on daily menu to inspire us. We like all sorts of food. We're not looking for anything but I'd never have lasagne outside our house. Nora's or our lasagne has been developed over about 20 years to maximise taste and minimise fat content. I never eat others because I know I will be disappointed.

Our new table companions seem nice (at a table for 2!). Effectively t's a table for 6 where the outer couples from last week have been joined by a new couple and we'll all just appear when it suits.

Not really tempted to go elsewhere.

• Like 3

A selection of shots from yesterday. Hard to sort everything. I used one of our compact Lumix zoom cameras as well as the phone then copied the 76 shots from that to the phone. Sequence of shots isn't as clear.

We were followed in by Oasis, and I don't think her back end is her best feature. Probably functional though.

Compress_20220606_053809_9673.jpg

Compress_20220606_053809_9918.jpg

Compress_20220606_053810_0176.jpg

Compress_20220606_053810_0843.jpg

Compress_20220606_053811_1164.jpg

Compress_20220606_053811_1779.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure if this week will be as good. Many tastefully attired good dancers left yesterday.

Might have been 1st night issues but last Sunday's atmosphere was completely different.

We only had string trio and waiters for company in Chart Room when taking those photos, and when we headed for our last 9 floor climb of the day there was only one other couple left there.

Queens Room music was worse too. It's as if they are picking music then twisting the beat to suit the dance. One of my pet hates.

• Like 1

Skipped gym. Did some deck walking/running, whale watching, then Pavilion for swim/jacuzzi.

Pic on way to lunch. Don't know how I got that one without anyone in background.Compress_20220606_152225_5488.thumb.jpg.c454c7f1bd2b077a95bc8d3d8e80fdb2.jpg

• Like 3

Early on Red & Gold Gala Night, before we did our round of the professional photographers.

We didn't really like the studio photos they took on 1st formal night, which would have been more expensive but they offered a package at $592 for everything they take of us at standard venues for the 14 night voyage.

We make a tour of all the settings and get as many variations as possible. I aim to get several hundred for that price.

Compress_20220607_063855_5400.jpg

Compress_20220607_063854_4356.jpg

• Like 1

This morning is dull with some fog. The sea is a bit more agitated than yesterday but movement is still negligible.

Yesterday developed to brilliant sunshine, flat sea and there were lots of whales spouting, breaching and flapping their tails about.

Many folk saw dolphins too but we missed them.

Compress_20220607_063853_3689.jpg

Yesterday was much better on dress and music fronts. Still some really untidy attire but the vast majority made an effort to glitz up.

Politely explained my music concerns to Jack & Esther before their first set although from the conversation with them and another with the DJ in G32 about how brilliant Exxile are, I think play lists are governed by Cunard.

I should say that last night's set was very good.

One downside is that the female singer of that group has been ill for 2 nights. I'm assured that it's not the dreaded disease and she'll be back soon. They are great as a trio but her voice adds more depth to the sound.

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

Heading for immigration then grabbing a table early for Afternoon Tea. And a photo opportunity of course!

We thought the shorter day was a chance to miss lunch and experience the tradition. More than 3 meals a day is not for us.

Compress_20220607_140418_8766.jpg

Compress_20220607_140419_9162.jpg

Compress_20220607_140419_9657.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Ha,

You answered before I edited which I did as it might not have seemed the generalisation I meant. 

All the official photos I see have the same stance and to me, it seems so 'staged', but then I'm into an informal stance rather than a staged formality.

I imagine we've taken at least 500 pics so far. In past we've made mistake of snapping things rather than us and regret not having as many of us when youger as we'd like.

To your point; the photographers here seem desperate to create staged informal pictures. I let them take a couple on first gala night with hands in pockets then said. I was brought up to regard putting hands as being rude and slovenly. And it can also pull the garment out of shape. I would only put hands in pockets on a really cold day if I had no gloves. So I just tell them to dream up something else before we start.

4 minutes ago, D&N said:

I imagine we've taken at least 500 pics so far. In past we've made mistake of snapping things rather than us and regret not having as many of us when youger as we'd like.

To your point; the photographers here seem desperate to create staged informal pictures. I let them take a couple on first gala night with hands in pockets then said. I was brought up to regard putting hands as being rude and slovenly. And it can also pull the garment out of shape. I would only put hands in pockets on a really cold day if I had no gloves. So I just tell them to dream up something else before we start.

My husband's suits and jacket pockets remain stitched up so hands in pockets aren't an option.

I also keep the pockets of my more expensive clothes stitched up. Nothing worse than sagging pockets!