Is there gluten free area of buffet

This probably has been covered, but I couldn’t find it.  My grandson has Celiac and cannot eat anything containing gluten.  I know in MDR he can order gluten free but wondering about breakfast and lunch in Windjammer.

Thanks for info

Dennis

I usually see 3 items in the gluten free area by the sign. Also a sign ask for gluten free bread over by the bread. I have seen a gluten free sandwich in the case in the cafe in the promenade as well, usually a turkey sandwich. 

We have a son with celiac disease. There are items labeled GF in Windjammer, and when in doubt or if looking for something "different" or specific, ask a waiter or server to see if they can help. Our son was in heaven being able to eat so many things safely on our cruise. It's nice to not have to worry and triple check everything. Have an amazing vacation!

• Like 4

Make sure to also touch base with your head waiter in the MDR as they can be very helpful as well. I always thought I was limited to what was listed as gluten free on the menu or in the GF section in the Windjammer, but found out I could request other options as well. Our head waiter stopped by to visit me every evening to ask what I wanted for dinner the following evening as well as breakfast and lunch the next day. He would place a special order for me for whichever venue (and meal) I preferred. I had GF French Toast in the Windjammer a couple times and they even made me GF Lobster Mac N Cheese at Hooked. My overall dining experience improved once I learned it was okay to request something different. Hopefully your grandson will also find a few treats he wasn't expecting. Enjoy your trip! 🙂 

I am celiac and have cruised on most of Royal's ships. I frequently choose the Windjammer for its variety and choices. The Windjammer chef or assistant will walk me around the various "islands" pointing out gluten free items. Morning toast can be requested near the omlette station. It's a dedicated gluten free toaster. Gluten free bread can be requested for sandwiches and burgers. The dessert station will label gluten free desserts. The pavlova is quite good.

Gluten free cookies can be hard to find, but don't be afraid to request them if they aren't a displayed dessert choice.

Try to avoid premixed eggs in scrambled or omlettes. Sometimes they are an egg mix that may not be GF.

Be prepared to wait and have a bit of patience with GF requests, whether the dining room or Windjammer. It usually takes awhile and busy staff are taking time from regular duties to help with your GF.

Hope this helps!

Hi, fellow celiac chiming in. I was on Mariner in Nov 2021 and Harmony last month (May 2022). Overall, both were good experiences and I ate well. I will say that Mariner had an entire section of Windjammer with a larger GLUTEN FREE sign and probably 5 options such as an entrée and some sides that changed daily. I felt safest checking that area first and then otherwise speaking with the chef in the MDR to discuss other options.

I was disappointed to find no such station existed in Harmony's Windjammer and instead, the chef advised finding him each visit to discuss what was safe. This is sometime a hassle and makes getting a quick safe bite a bit more difficult. 

On both ships, the MDR staff was excellent and I appreciated ordering my meal for the next night at the end of the previous meal. Don't be afraid to ask for them to modify something like cheesecake to make a GF version. 

One tip: Pack gluten free ice cream cones if you have space (in a ziploc in a shoe did well haha). I was able to get soft serve in them and ask the staff to change gloves. Sometimes they didn't have bowls available so having my own cone was a nice treat!

Oh also want to add that the GF pizza at Sorrento's on Harmony was EXCELLENT! Just need to ask the staff serving by the slice for a GF pizza and they will make you a whole fresh one in about 10min. Same oven but prepared separately in the back and baked on a separate tray. I had it almost every night and never got sick.

Edited by awahrer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We sail Royal Caribbean with my celiac daughter all the time.  She never eats off of the buffet because of cross contamination.  BUT, just find someone that works there that is a manager and they will get you anything you want "from the back".  This could be something you see on the buffet that's labeled GF but contaminated or a sandwich, pizza, pasta, fruit, etc.  Really, anything they make on the ship they can get for you at the buffet.

37 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Where? I have never seen an area. It's hunt and peck on all the ships we have been on. Even in the MDR they have to prepare special dishes when you ask.

Bread section and food section labled on all ships. Guess you missed it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FusionMJM said:

Anyone have luck dining GF at Izumi Sushi or hibachi? I'll be on Harmony next week and wondering if they have Tamari (GF soy sauce) and also how well they handle cross contact?

I'm not sure about Harmony, but someone did recently report that they were able to safely eat GF at Izumi on Allure. They mentioned that they were offered GF soy sauce as well.

I'm glad to see such positive responses about gluten-free options for us Celiacs.  We will be on the Mariner in September.  I'd love to hear about any "must try" GF items that you had that were made special / off menu.  Also, did you have to ask your server about pre-ordering for the next night?  And if you skipped dinner one night, how did you go about ordering for the next-next night?

11 hours ago, nzdisneymom said:

I'm glad to see such positive responses about gluten-free options for us Celiacs.  We will be on the Mariner in September.  I'd love to hear about any "must try" GF items that you had that were made special / off menu.  Also, did you have to ask your server about pre-ordering for the next night?  And if you skipped dinner one night, how did you go about ordering for the next-next night?

My last cruise in December was the first time I tried to order off menu and I only tried it a few times, but I'm looking forward to exploring and trying even more options on our upcoming cruise in July based on some recommendations I've come across on CC. In the past I mostly just stuck to what what was already offered as GF (including pizza at Sorrento's and a pre packaged chocolate chip Udi cookie you can request). On our last cruise I had GF French toast in WJ, eggs benedict in the MDR and a side dish of pasta at Hooked. I went out on a limb and tried ordering the coconut shrimp in MDR but the modification made was just grilled shrimp with some seasoning (no GF breading). I haven't tried yet but have heard others say that they have had GF pancakes, chicken tenders in the MDR, pasta (anywhere pasta is offered), grilled cheese at Johnny Rockets, sushi/stir fry at Izumi and an almond cake (Polenta?) in the MDR. We only skipped the MDR once on our last trip so I let our head waiter know not to expect me the following night and he had me go ahead and order for the next night instead. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bjlbbk said:

I went out on a limb and tried ordering the coconut shrimp in MDR but the modification made was just grilled shrimp with some seasoning (no GF breading). I haven't tried yet but have heard others say that they have had GF pancakes, chicken tenders in the MDR, pasta (anywhere pasta is offered), grilled cheese at Johnny Rockets, sushi/stir fry at Izumi and an almond cake (Polenta?) in the MDR. We only skipped the MDR once on our last trip so I let our head waiter know not to expect me the following night and he had me go ahead and order for the next night instead. 

Thanks for the response and ideas.  I had that happen at Disney World when I inquired about a GF version of their buttermilk fried chicken - it was basically grilled with a little ranch seasoning.  Which was too bad because I used their recipe but just subbed in GF flour at home and it came out really good.

Do you know what Sorrento's does for the GF pizza?  What brand of crust do they use?  

41 minutes ago, nzdisneymom said:

Do you know what Sorrento's does for the GF pizza?  What brand of crust do they use? 

I'm not sure...I never thought to ask what brand they use. It was pretty good as far as GF goes and a decent size so you have plenty to share (if you choose...ha!). The other plus side is it is always fresh and hot since they don't make it until you ask for it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Serenade right now only has burger buns for gluten free bread

Darn...that would be a bummer!  A few years back when I first started requesting GF bread on cruise ships I would often get confused looks as if they had no idea what I was talking about. Made me wonder if they actually had some and just didn't know it (or know where to find it). Seems staff is more aware of GF in general now which definitely helps. Hopefully they can still find you some better options before the week is over!