Looking at booking Navigator of Seas B2B - First RC Cruise

Given that it may very well be cheaper to stay in a hospital for a week than travel by air this summer (ha!) we’re going to stay local and have been looking into booking the Navigator of the Seas for a B2B cruise.  This would be our first ever RC cruise, and our first ever B2B cruise on any brand; we’ve done the Panorama enough (the only week-long cruise out of Los Angeles during the spring/summer) that we decided it’s time for change.  We’ll mostly be enjoying the ship – it’s been awhile since we’ve been to Ensenada, but I’m sure it still sucks (every other year they announce a major project to turn it into a typical retreat, then nothing happens).  We haven’t been to Catalina Island in many years and that looks enjoyable.

Here are our questions:

o If we’re vaxed & boosted, it appears we must take the COVID test two days before departure; so if we’re leaving on a Friday, the earliest we can take it is Wednesday.  Is this correct?  Do we still need to be tested again if we remain onboard?  If so, do we need to pay for the tests?

o We’ll probably book a “guaranteed” rate, since the savings are significant; I presume we may be assigned different rooms.  I assume the process will be similar to what we’ve seen on Carnival – keys will be placed by our room the day before, luggage will be moved by staff (we don’t mind moving it ourselves) & we get to hang out on the main deck until boarding/

o Will the menus in the main dining room be redundant?  What about the entertainment?   In other words, will we see the exact same menus and entertainment on the “second” voyage that we did the first?

o It looks like recent sailings are well below (1/3 ish) capacity.  Any input on whether that’s changed (we’ll be traveling later this month before the 4th of July holiday).

o Any other tips & suggestions? 

Yes you have to test 2 days before. No they arent testing between legs if you are vaccinated. 

If it's the same cruise length most likely same shows. Go do the silent hush disco or the piano bar or sit in the atrium and listen to music. I think you should have movies under the stars. Ours changed but no guarantee. I saw lost city with sandra Bullock and some of spider man no way home in may. 

I'd think capacity might be closer to 90% durimg the summer, very full and kids. 

Not unlike carnival, just new menus you can find on the app. If you have gty most likely you wouldn't get same cabin and have to move. Same like carnival. I found the food especially at dinner better on rcl. Carnival cut back too much. But the pizza isnt as good or hamburgers. I used to go back and forth when I got tired of the same food. Alternative rcl and carnival. 

16 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

Thank one!  It's B2B, but one is a 3-day (Ensenada) and the other 4-day (Catalina Island & Ensenada), so I was hoping for some variety :).

In this day and age they can fly a comedian on or off in the middle of your cruise or shut it down for covid. You probably dont want the changes lol. Try the surf zone or I think you have a rock climbing wall. Dont know what you like. Try and enjoy the differences. 

Usually the WJ buffet at night does themes. I did 4 legs and the themes varied with no pattern. American night or Caribbean night or chinese or asian. One night there was a crepes station. With fresh crepes and toppings for dessert. This way you get to try different buffet nights and the Mdr menu. I only like pizza fresh out of the oven but it ruins my dinner. With b2b it's ok if you ruin your appetite. Be sure and get the short ribs in Mdr. It's the best meal imo. Like tender pot roast.

• Like 1

Enjoy the Navigator...we did on our 7 nighter in January and have her booked again...I couldn't wait for RCI to return to our west coast and sailing out of our home port...so of course I'll do anything to try and keep RCI here.

• Like 1

A few random tips...

* Don't miss the Ice Show.

* If your able, try the flowrider.

* We are old...but truly enjoyed the water slides.

* The 3-night, Fri-Sun sailing is considered a "booze cruise" with lively passengers.

* Enjoy the empty ship (about an hour) on TAD, turn around day. 

* For B2B passengers, there's a special lunch on TAD. (Not available if there's only a few B2B passengers)

* If you want to burn some calories...the gym is nice.

* The MDR, (main dining room) menu is designed for a 7-night cruise...your 3 & 4 night cruises menus shouldn't repeat.

* Lastly, there's soft serve ice cream by the pool...and El Loco Fresh...no extra charge.

Happy sailing! :classic_smile:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

A few random tips...

* Don't miss the Ice Show.

* If your able, try the flowrider.

* We are old...but truly enjoyed the water slides.

* The 3-night, Fri-Sun sailing is considered a "booze cruise" with lively passengers.

* Enjoy the empty ship (about an hour) on TAD, turn around day. 

* For B2B passengers, there's a special lunch on TAD. (Not available if there's only a few B2B passengers)

* If you want to burn some calories...the gym is nice.

* The MDR, (main dining room) menu is designed for a 7-night cruise...your 3 & 4 night cruises menus shouldn't repeat.

* Lastly, there's soft serve ice cream by the pool...and El Loco Fresh...no extra charge.

Happy sailing! :classic_smile:

One of the best ice shows we've seen and really enjoyed El Loco Fresh !!!

We were spoiled with only 1100 onboard.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ashland said:

One of the best ice shows we've seen and really enjoyed El Loco Fresh !!!

We were spoiled with only 1100 onboard.

2,900 on my B2B May 20 ….

I loved being n the Panorama in September❣️🛳    I dont recall the numbers but it was SO nice. Went back again in March and the numbers were definitely up!

🛳🛳

Bobbi

• Like 1

Wonderful information, thank you everyone!  I learned a lot -- I thought the waterslide would have an age limit :).  I've never bothered to check on any cruise I've taken, it was just an assumption :).  We're looking at going the last week of this month; looks like May Grey/June Gloom arrived early this year, so crossing our fingers the weather cooperates!  

Does the 4-day cruise repeat the same entertainment as the 3-day?

Thanks again everyone!

Hi @Itried4498, this was my experience when I did a few B2B on the Navigator this past January.

You will not receive your ‘new’ room keycards till you checkin at the in transit lounge on turn around day.

The Navigator menus are set for 7 day cruise, but since you are doing a 3 day and 4 day, Day 1 - 3 will be exactly the same menus, so Day 1 on your 3 day cruise will be the same menu as Day 1 of the 4 day cruise, etc. The only new menu to you will be Day 4.

The main shows are Showgirl, past present future and the Ice Show. It has been reported some of the mid May cruises and later, they did not do the shows, possibly because crew were I’ll. I heard they did do a short ice skating  ‘skills’ presentation , which is a disappointment if you have seen the normal show. Hopefully for your sailing they are back to doing the regular shows. In addition, RCL will bring on guest entertainers, comedian, jugglers, singers, etc. Depending on the contract, some will stay on and repeat, or you may get a new set of guest entertainers, just depends on rotation and availability.

On a recent 3 day cruise, it was reported a passenger was told the ship was at FULL capacity with over 3000 passengers. You should expect similar numbers with summer and the 3 day sailings are normally more popular.

• Like 1

On right now for a B2B. Full shows on the three night. Tonight was the ice skating show. Tomorrow is Showgirls and Sunday is a comedian. This is our sixth and seventh time on the NV. Third time since she moved west. We have 1900 on this three night sailing and 2500 on Monday’s cruise. Hard to know what the count will be when you’re on. The cruise last weekend had over 3000 on board according to crew. 

Crew is great but many are new since most that signed on at the beginning of the start up just went home. Entertainment will be the same for a B2B. No testing for a B2B cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just get off Navigator yesterday. Great ,beautiful ship. Great staffs. Did not like the cruise director that much ,she was too loud 😁.We enjoyed dinner at Chop but not at Hooked restaurant. the foods at Hooked weren't very good  compared to Hooked on Symphony, and was out of several things when we want to ordered from the menu. Even the drinks were watered down .
We went to Windjammer for the last night dinner and the foods were terrible, limited selection .Will happy to sail with Royal again but not on this ship😊