Princess no longer testing for entry back to US?

BlufftonCruisers

I have heard from someone who is presently on a European cruise on Princess that they were told by staff that Princess is no longer doing Covid testing onboard the day before disembarkation to fly home to the U.S.,  that it is on you to get tested to fly home. Does anyone know if this is true or has had this same experience? This doesn’t seem right that Princess is requiring passengers to scramble at 5h3 airport to find testing in order to fly home. This was told to me by someone who had princess EZ-Air. We are booked on a cruise this August leaving from Southampton, UK, and then in Copenhagen. I hope this is just a rumor and not true, as we do not wish to scramble to try to find a test and catch our flight after disembarking the ship.

Have you contacted Princess to inquire about their latest protocols and practices regarding testing during the cruise and at disembarkation.  

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1

Princess website update June 3, 22

yesterday….Says they ARE providing tests.

There have been instances where they were short of tests.

Exception: From Canada

This can change at any time.  We are taking a proctored test to do onboard the day before.  Hopefully, the internet works.  We also are checking out airport testing, just in case.  Just be ready for many changes.

UPDATED: If my home country requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for re-entry following my cruise, will Princess administer and cover the cost of the test?

Unless otherwise noted, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of tests, provided guests can show proof that their flight arrangements are the same day as they disembark the ship. Guests will need to make their own test arrangements if onward travel is not the day they disembark.

Voyages ending in Canada: Guests are responsible to arrange their COVID-19 tests and pay directly to the testing facility. If departing Canada by air, guests are highly encouraged to pre-reserve COVID-19 testing appointments at the Vancouver or Quebec airport in advance. Please note, tests are not required for guests disembarking in Vancouver and returning to the US via motorcoach.*

We encourage guests to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites for the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still on board, Princess has partnered with Optum so that before traveling to the ship U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to their homes in three business days or less. Guests can take these tests on the ship, using MedallionNet to complete the required, video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides help administer the test and verify the results, usually within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered by email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to receive the test at home before going to the ship. Order your test kit online^.

*As long as guests have the right to enter the U.S. (citizenship or visa), they do not need a test to enter at a land border.

^You are now leaving princess.com and navigating to a 3rd party website that is not owned, operated, or controlled by Princess or any of its affiliates.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BlufftonCruisers said:

I have heard from someone who is presently on a European cruise on Princess that they were told by staff that Princess is no longer doing Covid testing onboard the day before disembarkation to fly home to the U.S.,  that it is on you to get tested to fly home. Does anyone know if this is true or has had this same experience? This doesn’t seem right that Princess is requiring passengers to scramble at 5h3 airport to find testing in order to fly home. This was told to me by someone who had princess EZ-Air. We are booked on a cruise this August leaving from Southampton, UK, and then in Copenhagen. I hope this is just a rumor and not true, as we do not wish to scramble to try to find a test and catch our flight after disembarking the ship.

What ship?

3 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

They may be changing their testing at any time, but they should post it online if they do that.

Unfortunately, the haphazard role out of changes and ship to ship differences is all too common these days. It is understandable to believe that they may not follow what they have posted on their website.

1 minute ago, Musky Ike said:

Unfortunately, the haphazard role out of changes and ship to ship differences is all too common these days. It is understandable to believe that they may not follow what they have posted on their website.

So true.  But, it should not be posted as a new protocol.  
It’s good to be aware and prepare.  Many changes are going to happen.  Air travel and cruise lines especially.

Just off Emerald Princess June 2 in Southampton.

Three couples flying home June 2, 1 couple flying home June 3.

Princess tested 3 couples on June 1. 1 couple paid for tests at airport.

1 flew British Airways LHR to Denver.

1 flew Canada Air LHR - Toronto to Detroit.

1 flew Delta LHR - Boston to Detroit.

1 flew Delta LHR- Atlanta to Cleveland.

Nobody was ever asked for proof of test results or vaccination.

Upon boarding flight or arrival to USA. NEVER!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mtntwo said:

If not checked, is it really required? I for one would not risk not testing while the requirement is still in place. My luck, I would be the one they ask for it.  Better if the US would just dust drop  the requirement. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My understanding is that the requirement, at present, is for air travel only.

18 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

In December, we will be on the Regal's TA back to the US.  If protocols remain the same, will they test everyone onboard prior to arriving in Ft Lauderdale?

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure that Princess leaves it up to yourself for flying back from Canada.  

If any of you are so inclined, firing off a short note to your Rep. or Senator about the inconsistent nature of the requirement won't hurt.  One can fly within the US with no tests.  And one can enter the US from Canada on a bus, train, or ship without testing.  CDC has no data to show this requirement has much value.

Thought I’d add the applicable Princess link. Just click on the part of the world you’re booked cruise is in. At the top will be the date the FAQs we’re last updated for that particular section. Then go all the way down to the “After You Sail” section at the bottom of the page to find out if there are any onboard testing services being offered onboard for those needing a negative C19 test to fly back home on disembarkation day as well as some other associated FAQs.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/

On 6/4/2022 at 9:44 AM, mtntwo said:

We were also on this cruise with one other couple. Princess tested all of us on June 1. We all flew home on June 2. The other couple flew American LHR to PHL and they were asked for their test results. We flew British Airways LHR to PHL and we were NOT asked for our test results.

14 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

I'm pretty sure that Princess leaves it up to yourself for flying back from Canada.  

If any of you are so inclined, firing off a short note to your Rep. or Senator about the inconsistent nature of the requirement won't hurt.  One can fly within the US with no tests.  And one can enter the US from Canada on a bus, train, or ship without testing.  CDC has no data to show this requirement has much value.

Yes, Princess definitely did not assist when we disembarked in Vancouver on May 21. And we definitely had to show proof of negative test once if not twice at the airport to fly to the US on May 21. 

• Thanks 1

May 28th Regal disembarkation experience: if flight out of Rome was earlier than 12:30pm then you got a letter to get a test between 6am and 7am the day before. We tested on the 27th at about 6:30am then went on about our day in Florence from Livorno. We got the hard copy of our negative results after 6pm and scrambled to complete the BA check in requirements for Verifly. Due to the terrible internet we didn’t make it. Showed up at Rome airport on the 28th morning and was not asked for test results but our docs were approved by Verifly by that time. No problem.

1 hour ago, portiemom said:

We were also on this cruise with one other couple. Princess tested all of us on June 1. We all flew home on June 2. The other couple flew American LHR to PHL and they were asked for their test results. We flew British Airways LHR to PHL and we were NOT asked for our test results.

Hello,

A few questions, if I may:

How was it communicated to passengers where and when testing would occur?

Did Princess provide a printed copy of the test results or email?

Did American require a printed copy?  Were the results simply shown at check-in or did they have to be uploaded to American?

Thank you!

We’re getting ready to fly to Spain next month, and we really hope CDC, at a minimum, issues at least a compromise to their existing rule similar to Spain’s C19 testing rules to fly into their country.

Country-Specific Information

U.S. citizens can travel from the United States to Spain if they show that they are vaccinated  against COVID-19, or have a recovery certificate , or show a negative diagnostic test result  (NAAT or RAT) performed either within 72hours prior to departure to Spain for a NAAT (e.g. – PCR test) or within 24 hours prior to departure to Spain for a RAT (e.g. – rapid antigen test).

https://es.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

• Like 1

We bought the 3 pack of proctored tests (in case one was defective) for our recent Alaska cruise. In that instance, Princess did provide free testing so I am now holding $100 worth of proctored tests for which I have no use. D'Oh!

36 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We bought the 3 pack of proctored tests (in case one was defective) for our recent Alaska cruise. In that instance, Princess did provide free testing so I am now holding $100 worth of proctored tests for which I have no use. D'Oh!

Same. Once they expire, they don't even make good paperweights. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Thrak said:

There must be someone on here sailing soon that could make a deal with you. 

On 6/4/2022 at 10:18 AM, LACruiser88 said:

In December, we will be on the Regal's TA back to the US.  If protocols remain the same, will they test everyone onboard prior to arriving in Ft Lauderdale?

No, not at this time.  Only if you are flying back to the US.  
Is your destination the US?  

6 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Hello,

A few questions, if I may:

How was it communicated to passengers where and when testing would occur?

Letter left in stateroom a couple of days prior to testing day.

Did Princess provide a printed copy of the test results or email?

Printed document left in stateroom later that day.

Did American require a printed copy?  Were the results simply shown at check-in or did they have to be uploaded to American? Don't know.

Thank you!

When we disembarked Royal Princess (May 14) in Vancouver we were tested for free at the hotel across from the terminal. We weren't flying out until the next day. We were given printed test results and had to show them at the airport.