Viewing Alaska Fjord on Splendor?

craig01020

I just booked a crazy low fare to Alaska on the Splendor in an inside cabin. Day 3 on the cruise is scenic cruising past Tracy Arm Fjord. Since I won't have a balcony, is there ample viewing area from exterior areas on decks 3 or 4?

Thanks!

There is certainly plenty of room on the upper decks for viewing.  I only went outside a couple of times on the lower decks and it seems like the view is somewhat obstructed by lifeboats from what I can recall. You are better off going up to deck 9-11

1 hour ago, craig01020 said:

I just booked a crazy low fare to Alaska on the Splendor in an inside cabin. Day 3 on the cruise is scenic cruising past Tracy Arm Fjord. Since I won't have a balcony, is there ample viewing area from exterior areas on decks 3 or 4?

Thanks!

One deck above the lido deck you have wonderful no obstructed views. It does get crowded. If I can figure out how to add a photo I'll post it. It's Splendor in Glacier Bay, in front of Marjorie Glacier.

40 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

You may not be aware but there are smaller boats that go farther up to the glaciers. They are excursions that are booked from your starting port, such as Seattle. (Not Tracy Arm) Just an FYI….

This is an excellent excursion.  

2 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

You may not be aware but there are smaller boats that go farther up to the glaciers. They are excursions that are booked from your starting port, such as Seattle. (Not Tracy Arm) Just an FYI….

We did this at the beginning of May. The views are so much better. I'd highly recommend it. 

• Like 1

As others have mentioned above, the small boat excursion is definitely one of the highlights on an Alaska cruise. We too were bumped from Tracy Arm and our excursion was still awesome. They pick guests up from the side of the ship to enjoy a scenic trip which takes you so much closer to the glacier than the cruise ship is able to manuever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2022 at 7:12 PM, kona_wahine said:

Thanks for the info. I just booked it!

On 6/5/2022 at 4:12 PM, kona_wahine said:

I have been curious about this, we are cruising next May from San Francisco to Alaska on the Miracle and there are no excursions listed for Tracy Arm or Icy Strait Point. I keep wondering if excursions will be offered later? Can you explain how the excursions work for Tracy Arm and at what point can I book them? Thank you!

1 minute ago, Rockypoint said:

I have been curious about this, we are cruising next May from San Francisco to Alaska on the Miracle and there are no excursions listed for Tracy Arm or Icy Strait Point. I keep wondering if excursions will be offered later? Can you explain how the excursions work for Tracy Arm and at what point can I book them? Thank you!

The excursion I booked was actually listed under "Seattle". 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rockypoint said:

The one for Tracy Arm will be listed under your embarkation city. So, check for excursions for San Fran.

• Like 3