First time on celebrity. Entertainment question

riviera

We will be on celebrity Equinox. We are seasoned cruisers ( diamond plus on Royal) so I want to ask if we need to make reservations for the shows once on board?

what type of shows are in main theater ?

thanks everyone!!

No reservations required.  I've been on the 'Nox twice in the past month.

All shows will be at 7pm and 9pm and then occasionally the cruise director will hold a 10pm "adult" show.  Also at 8pm there's generally an activities director show where they use pax participation.

Occasionally you may have a magician, comedian or guest performer (saw a violinist who does pop music).  You can check the shows in the app.

Every other show will be some form of a musical, sometimes it's just like a concert with minimal talking between songs and other times there could be dancing, aerialists and/or a story line.  Every show has a mix of newer and older hits.  I believe the one thing CCL gets right is entertainment selection as most nights they may have their own musical show but also has three comedians a night and a karaoke bar.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

I enjoy the varied music presented in the different lounges, usually from about 5 until 11 or so. They usually do 45 minutes sets. and then rotate around to a different venue. There is usually live dancing in the Sky lounge on deck 14 later in the evenings. Theater shows can also be guest performers, some very good. We loved the "Rave Ons" who did Buddy Holly music in the theater on our May Equinox cruise. We've also seen a 4 Seasons Tribute and a high energy group called "Uptown". So there are many different shows possible in the theater for your cruise. 

Edited by 39august

4 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Since Celebrity and Royal are owned by the same company, you'll often find the entertainment comparable. Reservations aren't required for shows.

Only the original production shows.  On RCL you also get popular Broadway shows which on land usually require a drive into the city, finding and paying for parking, show tickets, arriving early and waiting in line.  You also have aqua theater and ice skating shows.  

30 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Only the original production shows.  On RCL you also get popular Broadway shows which on land usually require a drive into the city, finding and paying for parking, show tickets, arriving early and waiting in line.  You also have aqua theater and ice skating shows.  

Only on the larger ships, not the midsized.

The biggest difference you will find between RC and Celebrity re entertainment is that many people are far more laid back about it. No booking seats, reasonably good seats are usually still available even if you arrive as the show is about to start. If you are a big show lover then you will find there is less variety on Celebrity, no ice or water extravaganzas or Broadway shows. However, there is always something on somewhere to go to.

Totally agree with

10 hours ago, 39august said:

I enjoy the varied music presented in the different lounges, usually from about 5 until 11 or so. They usually do 45 minutes sets. and then rotate around to a different venue. 

We much prefer these music events than a show. I think they are a real strength of Celebrity. It is worthwhile keeping a copy of the ‘Today’ sheet in your pocket to check before/after dinner which venue to head for. Just a reminder that Celebrity does not have announcements all day saying what is on or about to start so even if you don’t carry the ‘Today’ with you at least glance at it before going to breakfast and dinner.

We are D+ on RC which we loved when our son was young. However, we now prefer the more relaxed and stylish feel of Celebrity. Much better food in our experience on Celebrity too from the buffet to the speciality restaurants. Hope you have a fantastic time.

13 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Since Celebrity and Royal are owned by the same company, you'll often find the entertainment comparable. Reservations aren't required for shows.

Celebrity has a lot of plusses, but its entertainment doesn't compare to Royal's.   We have cruised both lines and find Royal's to be exceptional while Celebrity's is very good.  Also, we think NCL has better entertainment than X, but not as good as Royal's.

Celebrity excels in dining, service and ship design.

8 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

We have had fantastic shows on Royal's smaller to mid-sized ships as well as ice-shows.  We avoid the mega ships.

14 hours ago, 39august said:

I enjoy the varied music presented in the different lounges, usually from about 5 until 11 or so. They usually do 45 minutes sets. and then rotate around to a different venue. There is usually live dancing in the Sky lounge on deck 14 later in the evenings. Theater shows can also be guest performers, some very good. We loved the "Rave Ons" who did Buddy Holly music in the theater on our May Equinox cruise. We've also seen a 4 Seasons Tribute and a high energy group called "Uptown". So there are many different shows possible in the theater for your cruise. 

Just come off Reflection and I genuinely didnt even know there was a sky lounge. It was only when we returned home that I realised.

10 nights on board, and I swear I thought I had covered every square inch of the place and never set foot in the sky lounge.

we went to a couple of shows and frankly could have had about 100 seats each. The shows are OK.

But as a disclaimer, shows like this are not my cup of tea, as I am more of a live band person, playing their own music.

Not sure why anyone moans about the standard of the entertainment though. Its good enough for what it is. Its not Londons west end, and nobody should expect it to be.

The performers all do their best and seem to enjoy it, so if its your thing you will enjoy.

11 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

The mid ships have branded/non-original Broadway shows (Cats, hairspray, grease, etc).  Some would prefer branded shows to original shows or at least a mix of the two.  X entertainment performers are is talented and would perform them well.  I would welcome one branded show on a typical 7 night sailing but would prefer a nightly comedian (CCL typically has 3/night).

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Celebrity has a lot of plusses, but its entertainment doesn't compare to Royal's.

We'll disagree on that, as I much prefer smaller loungue acts over large shows.  When it comes to the loungue acts, Celebrity is at least a head and shoulders above RC in quality, quantity, and variety.

2 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

We'll disagree on that, as I much prefer smaller loungue acts over large shows.  When it comes to the loungue acts, Celebrity is at least a head and shoulders above RC in quality, quantity, and variety.

All the main cruise lines have lounges with live music usually happening at the same time as the main theater show.  I personally believe CCL does entertainment selection the best as they tend to have multiple lounges with different things all at the same time.  So you have the main show in the theater, you have a comedian at the punch liner, you have a DJ at the club, a karaoke bar, a piano bar, 2+  solo/duet (one does oldies) other lounges and the house band playing in the atrium.  That kind of selection was welcomed during a 14 night panama canal which had 9 sea days.

We were on the Millie over presidents day weekend and they had the boy band show as the main show one night.  We left during the second song, not knocking the talented performers, we just simply had no desire to listen to boy band music for 45mins straight.

We are diamond plus on rccl but love celebrity, I think main shows were way better on rccl but loved the small groups playing by the martini bar and other areas of the ship , on my edge cruise last year there entertainment started about 1 pm which is way better than rccl.