Men's "average day" Dinner Attire.

jchipgcs

On REGULAR dining days in ALL RESTAURANTS for dinner.  Would a guy like this be out of "compliance" dress code wise in any of the dining venues?  It's a summer, hot weather itinerary.  Note.  This is not a "formal night" question.  Just an average dinner night.  

image.jpeg

Most evenings are elegant casual. Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt and slacks. I am on the odyssey now, and have worn a nice polo and khakis with no problem. Formal night only saw one tuxedo. You do have to have a sport coat to eat at the restaurant on formal night. They will turn you away without a sport coat. More casual venue is earth and ocean and the colonnade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jchipgcs said:

Thank you @rucrazy and @wesport.  My fears are calmed.  I can suck it up one night on Formal night but just wanted to be sure something "Tommy Bahama" styled would be ok on normal nights.  

Yes, I have seen the Tommy Bahama look on Seabourn cruises, but I don't think it is the average dress for men on "normal" (not formal) nights.  More common is a dress shirt and pants.  Perhaps things are moving toward the Tommy Bahama look, but I hope not.  I don't think it is the best look on most men--but perhaps I am in a minority here with this thought?  I would be interested in knowing.  

• Like 3

We have been on 2 hot weather cruises since the first of the year

this look is absolutely fine

to some, you will be “dressed up”

at E &O dinners, we saw shorts or jeans with flip flops or sneakers

• Like 1

It is not what I would go to dinner in but it might just work for you.

The look is perfect for an out on deck dinner at Earth and Ocean or for a deck party.

It doesn't work for me in any indoor venue.

Your picture does show the guy walking around on a beach,so that might tell you something.

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

It is not what I would go to dinner in but it might just work for you.

The look is perfect for an out on deck dinner at Earth and Ocean or for a deck party.

It doesn't work for me in any indoor venue.

Your picture does show the guy walking around on a beach,so that might tell you something.

I agree,  I would be uncomfortable dressed that casually for dinner in an indoor restaurant.  

• Like 2

Just now, rkacruiser said:

I agree,  I would be uncomfortable dressed that casually for dinner in an indoor restaurant.  

Looking at the OP's cruising history we can see that the look might be more at home on those particular lines.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Looking at the OP's cruising history we can see that the look might be more at home on those particular lines.

Where you see his cruising history?  I saw no signature at the bottom of the post.

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Where you see his cruising history?  I saw no signature at the bottom of the post.

Click on the name and favourite cruise lines are listed.

Obviously it is not an exhaustive list of every vessel that he has been on but you get what I mean.

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Click on the name and favourite cruise lines are listed.

Obviously it is not an exhaustive list of every vessel that he has been on but you get what I mean.

Thank you!  After all of these years that I have been a member of CC, I am still learning how to use it.  😀

Honestly?  When I have seen a man dressed in a Tommy Bahama type shirt in the MDR I have always thought that he does not know any better.  Harsh, I know--but that has been my thought.  Looking back at the male model pictured in the white and black shirt--he looks just ok--and he is model.  

I am not a stuffy person and live half of my time on a rural farm in Texas wearing extremely casual clothing.  But, we do know how to dress for the venues and occasions that present themselves.  I have read so many comments from those who say, "Look, I'm on vacation--I don't want to dress up."  I totally understand that.  At the same time, there are people CHOOSING Seabourn because people DO dress up and they like that.  I'm just stating a fact here.  I don't know the answer, but I see a trend toward dressing down on Seabourn.  Some of those who prefer to dress only casually have disdain for those who like to dress up and vice versa. There are those who say, "how does how I dress affect YOU?"  Well, it does--because the ambience of a place (like the MDR) changes when men are wearing casual shirts meant for outdoor picnics and beach dinners.

It is an interesting situation that I have not seen in very many places.  This seems to be more apparent in how men dress.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 3

I think a lot of this stems from where you live,how you were brought up,what social circles you move in and what you ultimately feel comfortable in.

Personally I feel really comfortable in my birthday suit but I wouldn't go to dinner in it.

any way my wife says it needs ironing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, LMB01 said:

Wow

love insults

will leave it at that

I wouldn't see the comments as an insult.  I don't think Mr. L. is necessarily referring to class, income, or education.  He is referring to your culture--what is commonly done in your locale and in your social circle.  That can certainly differ from place to place.  For example, Southern California is very casual in terms of dress.  I read a fashion blog and the author wears jeans everywhere--even when dressing up.  I live in Dallas.  I might wear jeans to the grocery store, but not out to dinner--ever, unless to the most casual place.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I wouldn't see the comments as an insult.  I don't think Mr. L. is necessarily referring to class, income, or education.  He is referring to your culture--what is commonly done in your locale and in your social circle.  That can certainly differ from place to place.  For example, Southern California is very casual in terms of dress.  I read a fashion blog and the author wears jeans everywhere--even when dressing up.  I live in Dallas.  I might wear jeans to the grocery store, but not out to dinner--ever, unless to the most casual place.  

SLSD

i will not repeat my insult comment because I have respect for you

In 2019, you were on the cruise immediately prior to the one we were on

I learned a lot from you, thank you 

but I must respectfully point out that you have not cruise post pandemic 

I will happily put my income and culture up against any Seabourn snobs

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LMB01 said:

SLSD

i will not repeat my insult comment because I have respect for you

In 2019, you were on the cruise immediately prior to the one we were on

I learned a lot from you, thank you 

but I must respectfully point out that you have not cruise post pandemic 

I will happily put my income and culture up against any Seabourn snobs

I don't think they are being snobs.  It's just an appropriate dress issue.  And you are right--we have not been on a cruise post-pandemic.  We are anxious to cruise again, but unfortunately, half the people we know right now have the Covid virus and some are quite ill (vaccinated and boosted).  So--we are holding back for now.  I guess what you are saying is that people are dressing down more post pandemic.  That may well be true, but doesn't mean that everyone is happy about that.  

12 minutes ago, jchipgcs said:

Ha.  These replies.  Pontificators aside, thanks to those of you who offered sincere, friendly advice.

I guess I qualify as a pontificator.  Mr. SLSD just came out on our front porch where I am sitting.  I told him about this thread and that there are quite a few who think a Tommy Bahama shirt is appropriate for the MDR on Seabourn.  His comment, "You have to be kidding me!"  So--there is definitely a difference of opinion.  It's not a snobby thing, it's a cultural thing--and that is not an insult .  

LMBO1, I do understand that you may have found things to be different on a warm weather cruise post pandemic.  I say--those who want to dress down will find a reason to do it.  Just an observation.  

Edited by SLSD

I've done this look in the MDR before now and fitted right in.  I've done this and a Polo shirt in Collonade. To each his own. If you require a jacket to eat, enjoy some wine and good conversation I promise not to sit with you and make you uncomfortable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Oh boy!  We just got off a two week Encore cruise.  Warm weather cruise.  This look was  totally appropriate and was worn mostly by guys from warmer climates…including my husband…Miami, Australia, California & Texas.  While I never saw it in The Restaurant, it showed up just about everywhere else.  I think it degrades the look to call it Tommy Bahama…the shirt is a traditional Cuban shirt called a guayabera shirt and can/is be worn to formal events.  My dad, who owned multiple tuxes and loved to get dressed up, wore these all summer long, to church, weddings & dining out.  It’s taken a while to get my husband in them because he likes to keep his shirt tucked in… but he’s coming around!  😉  

• Like 4