Tipping on private excursion

Ellaleah

On 6/8/2022 at 9:14 PM, icft said:

Well, I think you guys are paying to feel good rather than tipping.

For 2020 the gross income per capita in Belize was about $4,000. In Jamaica it was $4,600. Divide those amounts by 52 weeks you get about $76/week in Belize and $88/week in Jamaica. Divide those amounts by a 5 day working week you get $15/day in Belize and $18/day in Jamaica.

I think a $5 tip is more than adequate. Those tours are not cheap and the operators are getting enough to pay the guides very, very well.

The OP gave no indication they were talking about the Caribbean. 

On 6/8/2022 at 8:04 PM, Ellaleah said:

Is it customary to tip $5-10 per person depending on service and length of tour?  Also, if we are with our guide through lunch, is it customary for me to buy them lunch?  Thank you.

Yes, we would always tip on private shore excursions. 

16 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

My rule has always been tip according to the local custom of the destination not the cruise ship or your home country's culture. The reality is every country views tipping differently so tipping in the local rates will be culturally and economically appropriate. The way I see it as tourists it is not really our place to change a destination's culture after all we go home so we are not the ones who have to live with the consequences of these changes. 

Perfect.

Thus, to the OP, you might get some what more fitting advice if you tell where you will go.

On 6/10/2022 at 1:42 AM, DarrenM said:

We did a game of thrones tour in Dubrovnik.

Our guide was a massive fan and knew her stuff. She was great. And we had a great time.

So she got rewarded by us at the end.

I wish we had done that , didn’t realize there was one before I signed up for something else . Loved Dubrovnik.

16 hours ago, George C said:

I wish we had done that , didn’t realize there was one before I signed up for something else . Loved Dubrovnik.

It was a last minute thing for us......me......wife has never watched it.

This was with Celebrity. the girl who was the guide, was also an extra in lots if scenes.

She is what I would describe as an Uber fan

It felt like nearly every square inch of the old town had been used in the programme at some point.

She had a book of photos that we could compare with the actual locations.

Like I said, she was brilliant.

But as general comment, Dubrovnik was my favourite place to visit. Adored the place

$5-10 seems about right for a half-day excursion.  

Pro tips: 

- Have a couple small bills on hand so you can give what you think is right -- you can't easily ask for change from a $20 or $50.  

- I like to make up an envelope for each island stop before I leave home.  On the outside I write the date /name of the island and excursion /meeting place and contact information.  Inside I place money (if I owe money for the excursion) and enough small bills for tips.  Depending upon what we expect to do, I might include money for a meal or a taxi.  This means all the money in my wallet is available to spend /I don't need to save it for excursion tips. 

A story:  After one of the best excursions we've ever taken -- riding ATVs through the jungle -- our (wonderful, but also very direct) tour guide said, "Now is the part where you make happy my hat", and he held out his hat for tips.  That was a decade ago, but it's become a family joke:  "I only have a $20 -- can you take care of the waiter's hat?"  or "This waiter isn't very attentive; I'm not inclined to make his hat happy."  

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

$5-10 seems about right for a half-day excursion.  

Pro tips: 

- Have a couple small bills on hand so you can give what you think is right -- you can't easily ask for change from a $20 or $50.  

- I like to make up an envelope for each island stop before I leave home.  On the outside I write the date /name of the island and excursion /meeting place and contact information.  Inside I place money (if I owe money for the excursion) and enough small bills for tips.  Depending upon what we expect to do, I might include money for a meal or a taxi.  This means all the money in my wallet is available to spend /I don't need to save it for excursion tips. 

A story:  After one of the best excursions we've ever taken -- riding ATVs through the jungle -- our (wonderful, but also very direct) tour guide said, "Now is the part where you make happy my hat", and he held out his hat for tips.  That was a decade ago, but it's become a family joke:  "I only have a $20 -- can you take care of the waiter's hat?"  or "This waiter isn't very attentive; I'm not inclined to make his hat happy."  

I do the envelope thing too--so nice not to have to scramble to find the right amount for the tour, the tip and any misc. needs on the morning of the tour when getting ready.  It's already to go.  We do take a small amount of cash and a credit card for any unexpected extra expenses.

7 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I do the envelope thing too--so nice not to have to scramble to find the right amount for the tour, the tip and any misc. needs on the morning of the tour when getting ready.  It's already to go.  We do take a small amount of cash and a credit card for any unexpected extra expenses.

Yes, I'd keep the cash /credit card in my wallet -- that's "available money". 

And an envelope for each island stop -- that's "already allocated money".  

On 6/13/2022 at 9:05 PM, ilikeanswers said:

My rule has always been tip according to the local custom of the destination not the cruise ship or your home country's culture. The reality is every country views tipping differently so tipping in the local rates will be culturally and economically appropriate. The way I see it as tourists it is not really our place to change a destination's culture after all we go home so we are not the ones who have to live with the consequences of these changes. 

This seems the most sensible approach and is what I try to do as well. 

• Thanks 1

When I read through these posts, I felt compelled to put in my $.02, $.20, $2.00+…..

I have traveled to over 40 countries including Cuba where the average salary is $24 a month.

Yes, I know Cuban housekeepers & restaurant workers have the coveted jobs & the people receive government allotments (1/4 of a chicken, rice, beans, & 4 eggs per person per month & don’t forget powered milk until age 7)

Third world country workers in the travel industry are often supporting multigenerational families.  The past few years have been especially hard. The pandemic has been hard on all of us. 

I have always rewarded good service in foreign countries and in the US.

Do I donate to local charities with my money and my time?  YES

Does it make me feel good to give a generous tip when someone does a good job? YES

Do I care that they might use my tip money to buy an IPhone?  No

Do I tip at an “all inclusive”?  YES   Do I think I get better service by doing it?  YES

When I cruise, do I give extra to the people that have provided me good service?  YES

Have I ever not given a tip?  Yes  In Dublin on a private tour, the driver felt it necessary to tell us “all that was wrong with our US government ”  Did we tell him why he wasn’t getting a tip?  YES

Do I occasionally give a $1.00 thank you tip to the McDonalds Teenager at the drive thru window?  Yes  ….  Just proud they are working & trying to earn money!

As a 70+ widow I think if you can afford to go out to eat or take a vacation you should be able to tip!

• Like 3