Tipping on private excursion

Ellaleah

I would say, let you conscience be your guide. I did on my Carnival excursion to Altun Ha when I went to Belize in Aug. 2021. I tipped each one of our guides $10 for a great excursion. THEN after the excursion, I treated them to a round on me at the Thirsty Lizard in the port bar when we got back to port. It's up to you, and they all appreciate it very much.

Edited by Joe817

22 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

Is it customary to tip $5-10 per person depending on service and length of tour?  Also, if we are with our guide through lunch, is it customary for me to buy them lunch?  Thank you.

I tipped $20 total but our one guide was with us for 4-5 hours.  

Well, I think you guys are paying to feel good rather than tipping.

For 2020 the gross income per capita in Belize was about $4,000. In Jamaica it was $4,600. Divide those amounts by 52 weeks you get about $76/week in Belize and $88/week in Jamaica. Divide those amounts by a 5 day working week you get $15/day in Belize and $18/day in Jamaica.

I think a $5 tip is more than adequate. Those tours are not cheap and the operators are getting enough to pay the guides very, very well.

• Like 1

It really depends on whether this is a group tour vs private tour; an independent tour vs cruise ship tour; how long the tour goes, etc. 

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule. If it was a private tour I would tip 15% or so of the tour cost and offer to buy the guide lunch.

If it's a group tour, I would tip $5-$10 per person depending on the length. There is no obligation to offer the guide lunch unless you enjoy their company and would like them to each with you. 

• Like 1

If it is a private tour I usually tip more and a also buy the guide lunch.  We always enjoy our conversations w the guides even at lunch.  We almost never take bus or group tours an but we tip at a lower level for tours like that.

DON

15 hours ago, icft said:

For 2020 the gross income per capita in Belize was about $4,000. In Jamaica it was $4,600. Divide those amounts by 52 weeks you get about $76/week in Belize and $88/week in Jamaica. Divide those amounts by a 5 day working week you get $15/day in Belize and $18/day in Jamaica.

I think a $5 tip is more than adequate. Those tours are not cheap and the operators are getting enough to pay the guides very, very well.

The number of Americans traveling, and number of trips taken, has exploded over the past decade.  Destinations that did not expect tips 10 years ago... now fully expect them.  I cringe every time I read somebody write 'well, think about what that service would cost in the US and tip accordingly.'  That's like saying 'think about what in roach infested dump in Los Angeles (hint: around $1M) would sell for, and make an offer accordingly for a home in the outskirts of Cancun.'

There's a difference between customary tips, tips of appreciation and tips to make yourself feel good.  We're seeing a lot of the latter here.

23 hours ago, icft said:

A cruise is also not cheap so I am assuming you are one of the ones that remove tips for the staff since the cruise line "are getting enough to pay their staff very, very well".

And yes............it makes me feel very good that I may can help someone more than I can imagine by giving them a few extra dollars. One of the greatest joys in life. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

A cruise is also not cheap so I am assuming you are one of the ones that remove tips for the staff since the cruise line "are getting enough to pay their staff very, very well".

And yes............it makes me feel very good that I may can help someone more than I can imagine by giving them a few extra dollars. One of the greatest joys in life. 

Your personal attack is both false and not appreciated.

Giving money to what you consider a worthy cause is perfectly fine. But giving a day's wages is not a tip.

• Like 1

$5-$10 pp is what we usually tip.  It does depend on the length and quality of the tour and tour guide.  We have never bought, or thought of buying, lunch for a guide.  On most of our tours, either lunch is included or tourists are free to eat whereever they want in a certain area.

We will tip more for a really long, involved tour or a guide who goes above and beyond.  

14 hours ago, mexicobob said:

I’m entertained by the number of people on forums like these who feel all warm and fuzzy dropping big tips in third world countries, yet stiff the waitress at their neighbor restaurant.  If you truly want to make a difference, there are oodles of organizations that you can donate to where your money would be used to feed multiple hungry children, as opposed to helping a cruise worker or tour guide purchase a new iPhone.

46 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

I’m entertained by the number of people on forums like these who feel all warm and fuzzy dropping big tips in third world countries, yet stiff the waitress at their neighbor restaurant.  If you truly want to make a difference, there are oodles of organizations that you can donate to where your money would be used to feed multiple hungry children, as opposed to helping a cruise worker or tour guide purchase a new iPhone.

I agree that tour guides would not be my first choice for charity. Those are high paying jobs for those areas and the "connected" get them rather than the poor and downtrodden.

But the point I'm trying to make is that the OP asked about tipping and rather than advice on tipping was getting advice on supporting social causes.

2 hours ago, icft said:

I agree that tour guides would not be my first choice for charity. Those are high paying jobs for those areas and the "connected" get them rather than the poor and downtrodden.

But the point I'm trying to make is that the OP asked about tipping and rather than advice on tipping was getting advice on supporting social causes.

My point was similar.  Cruise employee, tour guides, etc. are paid extremely well compared to other gigs in their home countries.  If I choose to take a cruise and add an excursion vs. traveling domestically, I’m helping to create coveted jobs.  If I choose not to tip, that’s my choice – these people aren’t working tip-based jobs.  I’m always entertained by how many people become emotionally invested with the third world and insist you should drop large tips because the countries are poor.  If you want to help, there are plenty of charities out there.  But don’t tip shame others, especially gigs like tour operators that often go to the well-off to begin with.

My rule has always been tip according to the local custom of the destination not the cruise ship or your home country's culture. The reality is every country views tipping differently so tipping in the local rates will be culturally and economically appropriate. The way I see it as tourists it is not really our place to change a destination's culture after all we go home so we are not the ones who have to live with the consequences of these changes. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 12:14 AM, icft said:

Since many of the excursion folks are expats, that number isn't correct but tips aren't based on what you think their annual income is, it is based on your level of enjoyment of the service.  

3 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

My rule has always been tip according to the local custom of the destination not the cruise ship or your home country's culture. The reality is every country views tipping differently so tipping in the local rates will be culturally and economically appropriate. The way I see it as tourists it is not really our place to change a destination's culture after all we go home so we are not the ones who have to live with the consequences of these changes. 

Locals who work in the tourist industry are there because of the income.  There are very few places where tipping is not welcome.  https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2008-11-11/etiquette-101-tipping-guide