Seattle: what is difference between waterfront and downtown?

Reader11175

We plan to stay overnight in Seattle before cruise on NCL. We would like to be near the pier as well as be able to sight see. I don't know the difference between waterfront and downtown in this regards. Marriot Waterfront was recommended. Any other suggestions?  Will we need to take an Uber to sight see or is there something like an on and off trolley that tours the area? Thanks!

Waterfront and Downtown are easily accessible to each other, Seattle is a fairly compact city. (For example, I met a friend at the Marriott Waterfront and we were able to walk to T-Mobile park easily).  The only caveat is that being on the waterfront means you're going to have to walk up hill to downtown (although there are flatter crossways than others), but you can take an uber to where you need to go easily. I don't know of any on/off trolleys in the area.

Waterfront - Easiest walking distance to: 

• Seattle Waterfront with Big Wheel, Touristy Shops, Ivars
  • Bainbridge Ferry (great day trip!)
  • SAM Outdoor Sculpture Park
  • Pike Place Market

Downtown - Easiest walking distance to:

• Columbia Tower (tallest building in Seattle)
  • T-Mobile Park/Lumen Field
  • Space Needle/Chihuly Garden 
  • Pike Place Market
  • Westlake Center
  • Seattle Art Museum
  • Like 4

I think for me that the two waterfront hotels that I can think of are the Edgewater and the Seattle  Marriott Waterfront.  Other hotels in the DT Seattle area could be thought of as Pike Place Market hotels; Belltown; DT Seattle (retail core); Lake Union and Pioneer Square.

Thoughts from my fellow Seattle CCer's?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I think for me that the two waterfront hotels that I can think of are the Edgewater and the Seattle  Marriott Waterfront.  Other hotels in the DT Seattle area could be thought of as Pike Place Market hotels; Belltown; DT Seattle (retail core); Lake Union and Pioneer Square.

Thoughts from my fellow Seattle CCer's?

I'd agree with you there! The Inn at Market would be the only other one that could "sort of" be considered waterfront, but Marriott and Edgewater are the only two that are true waterfront. 

• Like 1

The central waterfront (Pier 66, aquarium, various tourist attractions etc.) is at the bottom of a bluff - maybe 50 or 60 feet, from the edge of the Pike Place market and other "downtown" areas.  This bluff tapers to nothing as one goes south, so that by the time you're at, say, the ferry terminal, you're on the same level as Pioneer Square and other parts of the south end of downtown.

There are some stairs and a couple of elevators that will take pedestrians from the central waterfront up to the top of the bluff.  The one that's next to the Marriott is apparently inoperable for the time being, but the one in the Pike Place Market garage is functioning.  Or else one can take the Pike Place "hillclimb" steps from Alaskan Way up to the main market arcade.

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Thanks 1

I don’t really care for the location of the Marriott Waterfront for exploring although it is perfect for an overnight before a cruise departing from Pier 66.  We usually recommend the Edgewater over the Marriott though. Although the elevator next to the Marriott is not operating, there is one directly across from the cruise terminal that takes you up to Bell St. Pike Place Market is accessed by following Elliott Ave south from there. The Market is about ½ mile from the Marriott this way.

The flower vendors are the first to set up at the Market and are usually open by 8am making for a nice morning walk through the area. For fresh fruit, Sosio’s is amazing. We bite the bullet and pay the seemingly ridiculous prices that don’t seem that bad after tasting that sweet goodness.