Covid testing before disembarkation has been eliminated in Vancouver

amusea

I have just been informed by my TA that when disembarking in Vancouver from my Alaska cruise on Silver Muse  I will be personally responsible for arranging a Covid test prior to flying back to the USA.   Silversea suggests  purchasing  the Abbott Binaxnow test kit which can be administered personally within one day  before my flight.  However, there have been reports on the internet that it is difficult to reach the testing company due to high demand.  Furthermore, the internet is not very reliable on the ship and the Inside Passage has no internet reception.  The best alternative is probably to arrange a test at the Vancouver terminal after disembarkation although it makes the morning much more stressful.

I can request early disembarkation but i want to choose an appointment time for the test with the earliest time slot that it is possible to make since the wait time at YVR can be very long.  My flight was booked months ago and changing the flight is not an option.  My flight is on the same day that I disembark.

If anyone has experience with the time required to disembark the Muse in Vancouver it would be appreciated.  Luckily it is on a Thursday when no other ship is in port.  Evidently most ship lines no longer want to be responsible for dealing with anyone who tests positive while still on the ship and eliminating this disembarkation testing service relieves them of any responsibility such as providing hotels and meals for anyone that tests positive.  I would have expected better from Silversea.

Hi, I agree, it is disappointing they are no longer offering testing at disembarkation.

I will post something I found......Empower Clinics is offering testing at the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel which is adjacent to the pier in Vancouver.  Here is a link and they have a full set up........

What time is your flight home?  I am in the same spot........going to Alaska in August so will have to use these folks as well. 

https://empowerclinics.com/covid-19-testing/

1) Do not panic.   Try your luck once on board.  They can do it, but will they?   Yes, if you pursue it correctly. 

2) If you wait until you go to YVR, go directly upstairs to Fairmont .  Less hassle and fewer $$ cost.

I would not touch Enpower Clinics.   The entire business of Covid testing is a racket.   Enpower one of the worse IMO.  Do your research before jumping in this one.

Edited by saminina

This is really disappointing to read. How far in advance did you learn this? And does anyone know if this is just Alaska/certain locations or if its the new normal for every destination? We've been expecting to have the test onboard before returning home after our July cruise. It's already kind of a drag to have to test en route for a European embarkation because of the day before requirement, so this makes it even more inconvenient to have to figure it out on our own on both sides. 

What if I present to the clinic saying I have symptoms on the last day- they would test me then, right? I'd hate to get a surprise positive after debarking and then be on my own to handle changing all of our arrangements. There goes the peace of mind.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, saminina said:

1) Do not panic.   Try your luck once on board.  They can do it, but will they?   Yes, if you pursue it correctly. 

2) If you wait until you go to YVR, go directly upstairs to Fairmont .  Less hassle and fewer $$ cost.

I would not touch Enpower Clinics.   The entire business of Covid testing is a racket.   Enpower one of the worse IMO.  Do your research before jumping in this one.

Hi, that is who I read was inside the Fairmont. So are there multiple companies inside the hotel that are doing testing?

You are reading Waterfront, I am reading YVR.   Two different testing companies.  Two different hotels.

Two different rates.

My friend was tested at Fairmont YVR for $75.   Inside airport was charging a bit more.   I was tested on the ship (Seabourn) for $10.

18 minutes ago, saminina said:

You are reading Waterfront, I am reading YVR.   Two different testing companies.  Two different hotels.

Two different rates.

My friend was tested at Fairmont YVR for $75.   Inside airport was charging a bit more.   I was tested on the ship (Seabourn) for $10.

Ohhh, ok. Thanks for the clarification🙂

I researched  Covid testing in Vancouver last month.    Best I could come up with for being practical for same/next day departure was Antigen @ Fairmont YVR.   My friend was staying there overnight and I had a same day flight from ship.   Boarding Muse next month, so the learning experience will get me thru this season.  

I'm not expecting, but am hopeful the ship will accommodate my wishes.   My thinking is that a corporate decision has been made for the Alaska season and it does not help the passengers.

All the information about testing and vaccinations came to me yesterday from Silversea along with my tickets for the 7 day northbound and 7 day southbound return - June 23rd  to July 7.  My TA got the info at the same time and I noticed that there was no mention of onboard testing before disembarkation so she checked with SS and confirmed that it was no go.  And yet, "in transit" passengers will be tested so that means in Seward I will undergo another test.

The hotel "upstairs ' from the Canada Place cruise terminal is the Pan Pacific - not the Fairmont .  There is a very close testing site in the Convention Center which is just adjacent to Canada Place and their prices are much less expensive than than the Empower Clinic.

It is called CVM Medical and the Antigen test is $79.  Appointments are required but you can cancel up to a few hours before the test for a refund.  My flight is at 1:40 PM so I hope that I can get tested and still arrive at YVR in time to cope with the long lines.

I am sure that some passengers will not notice the omission of the test onboard at the end of the cruise since SS does not specifically mention it and that could cause some problems for folks flying to the USA.  It is these little extra courtesies that separate the luxury cruise lines from the premium and mass lines.  However, I just read a blog from someone who tested positive before disembarking a HAL ship in Amsterdam.  He was provided with 5 days of free quarantine hotel and meals in Rotterdam courtesy of Holland America.

I don't know if Silversea has consistent rules for foreign ports other than Vancouver but It is disheartening to see these personal services being chipped away.

• Thanks 1

I raised this question with Silversea last week as I have a trip arriving in Vancouver at the end of June. They assured me that on-board testing WOULD be available.

I specifically mentioned the concern about adequate internet access for proctored tests.

3 hours ago, amusea said:

I have just been informed by my TA that when disembarking in Vancouver from my Alaska cruise on Silver Muse  I will be personally responsible for arranging a Covid test prior to flying back to the USA.   Silversea suggests  purchasing  the Abbott Binaxnow test kit which can be administered personally within one day  before my flight.  However, there have been reports on the internet that it is difficult to reach the testing company due to high demand.  Furthermore, the internet is not very reliable on the ship and the Inside Passage has no internet reception.  The best alternative is probably to arrange a test at the Vancouver terminal after disembarkation although it makes the morning much more stressful.

I can request early disembarkation but i want to choose an appointment time for the test with the earliest time slot that it is possible to make since the wait time at YVR can be very long.  My flight was booked months ago and changing the flight is not an option.  My flight is on the same day that I disembark.

If anyone has experience with the time required to disembark the Muse in Vancouver it would be appreciated.  Luckily it is on a Thursday when no other ship is in port.  Evidently most ship lines no longer want to be responsible for dealing with anyone who tests positive while still on the ship and eliminating this disembarkation testing service relieves them of any responsibility such as providing hotels and meals for anyone that tests positive.  I would have expected better from Silversea.

I would also in theory expect better service from a luxury line, so this is sad.

You are also correct about potential Abbott Binax unavailability. I have read many of the forum stories and reviews.

I had used it for a Celebrity cruise last fall when it was new, worked fine but with two people steadying the phone, and I was pleased. But after reading on the internet about service gaps and difficulty using it solo with a phone ,  I retested the procedure and technique before leaving for a recent luxury non-SS solo cruise, to potentially use pre-embarkation.  There were some Navica app issues, which we resolved ( or thought we had) after several hours manipulation.  I took kits with me for a European cruise, and despite good internet, again the app would not work when I needed it.  I then had to figure out how to get tested within one day on a weekend  in a small remote town not even set up for testing anyone except EU residents 9-11 weekdays.  

Abbott may be an ok backup if your Plan A fails, but I would not count on it for something really important, you have to have a different plan as primary.

The stress of embarkation and disembarkation, already bad enough due to jammed airports and canceled flights,  is amplified by this marginally beneficial self-testing mandate within one day, especially if arriving in port  early, or being in a remote area with either poor internet or poor testing services, or with an early flight.  Airport testing lines are unpredictable, or you may be stuck with big luggage unable to check in until you have tested.  Vacation time is wasted, and anxiety heightened, on arranging these things pre and post -- 2.5 years into Covid, ans now  with a very low lethality variant, where other countries do not require it.

As already postulated, SS is likely not offering the service even for a fee  because they don't want to get stuck with the costs of dealing with a positive person.

I prefer testing by the line pre-boarding ( if you're going to test at all ), and offering it ( for a fee) the day before disembarkation. 

One of the problems with many cruise lines is that there is no one person who takes responsibility for rules and regulations.  I specifically asked my TA not to call the general telephone line since the reservation agents are prone to giving conflicting and often incorrect information.  My travel agent complied but I do not know who her source of information was regarding the disembarkation testing.  

Here is the part of the information received by myself from Silversea and it the same information was also sent to me by my TA.  Nowhere does it mention that Silversea will provide testing for those people who required a negative test in order to fly home after the cruise.  In fact they suggest that you purchase the Abbott Bimax test kit.  That certainly does not sound like they are providing any service.  Here is what was written by SS:

DISEMBARKATION DAY AND RETURN HOME

• To enable the suite cleaning and sanitisation processes to be completed, you will be required to leave your suite at 8am on the day of disembarkation. Before disembarking the ship by 10am, you are invited to enjoy breakfast.

• For your return journey, you are responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements — those of your country and the countries through which you are transiting, which may include additional COVID-19 testing.

RE-ENTRY TESTING REQUIREMENTS

It is each guest's responsibility to know and understand their home country's re-entry requirements before disembarking the vessel.

For your convenience, we offer the following optional service:

• Monitored Self-Test Kit – Abbott Binaxnow™ COVID-19 AG Card. The Optum COVID-19 Ag Card Home test allows you to complete your post-cruise testing onboard, or any place of your choosing, with the help of live video supervision by a Certified Testing Guide. We recommend that you order the kit/s at least one full week in advance of your sailing. Your results are typically ready in about 15 minutes. To order, please click here.

If you develop COVID-19 symptoms after disembarking the ship, you should self-isolate and seek immediate medical care, sharing your travel history with the health care provider and a Silversea representative.

Fantastic!  Just one week too late for me ( I could have enjoyed an extra six hours or so of vacation instead of researching and hunting for a remote Covid testing station in Europe before my return a few days ago.

This is a good start in the direction of normality.