Capri

Over from NZ

Hello. We're weighing up an excursion from Naples to Capri. It's a boat, that takes us to see a number of places from the sea (the blue grotto etc). It then gives us 3-hours on the Island of Capri. We're thinking that might not be long enough.. and instead catching the hydrofoil over to Capri and spending the day there. Our ship is in Naples from 7am to 7pm. We're thinking you would want the whole day ashore on Capri. Any thoughts to that please? 

It is so absurdly easy to do this on your own, save the tour money for a port that isn't as easy.

The pier for the fast boats to Capri is adjacent to the cruise port.  It's a quick walk over and you're off.

Once on Capri you can arrange a boat tour of the island, or you can do it in advance of your trip.  This website shows many of the options:  Capri: the most popular boat tours. 2022 prices and special offers   

The same site shows you the ferry schedule here:  Capri Ferry Schedules: from Napoli to Capri - 2022 Prices  One note, do not purchase ferry tickets through this site, they add usury level fees.  If you want to buy ferry tickets in advance purchase directly from the ferry operators.  If you need help finding the official web sites,  just ask.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 3

I agree with the above that Capri is one of the easiest places to do on your own, and there is more than enough to keep you happy and occupied for a day. 

My only advice would be to not delay purchasing your return tickets to Naples as the afternoon ferries can get full at the desirable times when a lot of ships are in port. You can purchase at the same time as your fare over OR for additional choices you can wait until you arrive at Capri (the ticket office where you arrive will give you every option for all of the lines).  But whatever you do, don't leave the port area of Capri without a ticket in hand for return.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

One note, do not purchase ferry tickets through this site, they add usury level fees.  If you want to buy ferry tickets in advance purchase directly from the ferry operators.  If you need help finding the official web sites,  just ask.

Jumping in on someone else's question.  I looked for ferry operator sites to purchase tickets directly.  There appear to be two, SNAV and NLG.  Are they essentially the same in terms of service?

Yes, from Beverello the key operators are Snav and NLG.  Here are their web sites for direct purchases:

Orari traghetti Croazia, Eolie, Ischia, Capri, Procida (snav.it)

Collegamenti veloci per Capri - Tratta Napoli(Molo Beverello) - Capri - NLG (navlib.it)

Also yes, the service is essentially the same.  Just choose the best timing for your crossing.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

I am doing the same thing, however, my daughter and I did the boat with swimming and time on island and it was fabulous.  We felt 3 -4 hours was enough.  I have 6 of us and we are going to do the boat and city tour together.  Just have to be sure we get back to ship on time.

I also highly recommend to get the return ticket either when buying the ferry ticket to Capri or in Capri port (especially when you intend to take a different ferry company back to Naples). I usually take a ferry back between 3 and 4 pm. I´m worn out by the heat by that time anyway.

Plenty of boat tours are available at the port of Capri. Those are boat tours going around the island. They usually stop at the Blue Grotto - but the entry to the Blue Grotto is not included in the boat tour. You pay extra to those guys who operate the row boats into the Blue Grotto. Anyway, it´s not really worth the money.

If you plan to take the funicular or the local busses. There´s a ticket office to the right side when you leave the pier in Capri. You can buy all tickets there. Bus and funicular are the same ticket. The line at the funicular is usually pretty busy. I usually take the bus up to Anacapri. From there you can take a bus to Capri town. From Capri town you can take the funicular down to the port. This would be 3 tickets per person. But if you do the boat tour first, then maybe the funicular up to Capri town is the better option (and back down again).

steamboats

• Like 1

As stated above, buy your return ticket online in advance. The queues at the ticket office can get long. I visited the island on my own and used the local bus to get around. I recommend villa san Michele for the most amazing views and the chairlift also. Just allow time to return to the port. 

• Like 1

The fast ferries from Molo Beverello, adjacent to the cruise port, take 50 minutes to make the crossing.

You can see the schedule here:  2022 Capri ferry schedules: from Napoli to Capri - Book online

Note:  if you feel the need to buy your ferry tickets in advance, do not purchase through the site above.  It's an excellent resource for information about Capri but they add usury level charges to ferry ticket purchases.  Buy them directly from the ferry operators, if you need help finding their web sites just ask.

Edited by euro cruiser

I’ve been to capri twice on cruises in the past and we always just bought the tickets right there on the pier but I am going again this year and taking my parents so I don’t think I want to fight the crowds on the pier this time. 

So my question is, is it safe to buy the tickets online from the ferry operators? Like will we be guaranteed a spot on the ferry for the time slot we purchased? Do they control the numbers purchased from both online and in person sales?

Do we just print the tickets if we purchase online and use that to board the ferry?

Just trying to make this trip less stressful since parents will be in tow. 🙂

1 hour ago, Cruise Gopher said:

I’ve been to capri twice on cruises in the past and we always just bought the tickets right there on the pier but I am going again this year and taking my parents so I don’t think I want to fight the crowds on the pier this time. 

So my question is, is it safe to buy the tickets online from the ferry operators? Like will we be guaranteed a spot on the ferry for the time slot we purchased? Do they control the numbers purchased from both online and in person sales?

Do we just print the tickets if we purchase online and use that to board the ferry?

Just trying to make this trip less stressful since parents will be in tow. 🙂

Yes, they limit ticket numbers due to safety requirements (only so many souls allowed on the ferry per requirements).

Yes you can bring your printed ticket and use it for boarding. By now they may also have an electronic option (e.g., show on your phone).

As said above, be sure to purchase directly from the operators.

Also - remember to bring your own shopping bag and reusable water bottle.  Capri does not permit  single-use plastics anymore because it is too much garbage generated and too expensive to carriage off the island.  it's good eco-tourism, anyway 😸

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 9:57 AM, euro cruiser said:

The fast ferries from Molo Beverello, adjacent to the cruise port, take 50 minutes to make the crossing.

You can see the schedule here:  2022 Capri ferry schedules: from Napoli to Capri - Book online

Note:  if you feel the need to buy your ferry tickets in advance, do not purchase through the site above.  It's an excellent resource for information about Capri but they add usury level charges to ferry ticket purchases.  Buy them directly from the ferry operators, if you need help finding their web sites just ask.

Thank you!  My only worry is our ship leaves at 7 p.m.  All aboard is 6:00 p.m.  I'm looking at the 4:30 p.m. slot.  Do the seas every get rough to the point where the return trip is cancelled?  

56 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Thank you!  My only worry is our ship leaves at 7 p.m.  All aboard is 6:00 p.m.  I'm looking at the 4:30 p.m. slot.  Do the seas every get rough to the point where the return trip is cancelled?  

Yes, the ferries do get cancelled - yet only very few times, usually in Winter and when the weather is extremely horrible.

2 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Are you sure your all aboard is at 6:00 pm?  Most ships set an "all aboard" time that is 30 minutes prior to departure.

On 6/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Are you sure your all aboard is at 6:00 pm?  Most ships set an "all aboard" time that is 30 minutes prior to departure.

Actually our ship departs at 6 pm. I would prefer to be back by 4:30. So I guess booking a 3:30 high speed ferry would be best?

The 15:25 (3:25 PM) on NLG will put you back at the cruise port at 16:15 (4:15 PM).

The next departure is the 16:30 (4:30 PM) on NLG arriving to Molo Beverello at 17:20 (5:20 PM).  

Homepage - NLG - Transfer TERRACINA PONZA - TREMITI ISLANDS - NAPLES CAPRI - NAPLES SORRENTO – AMALFI COAST (navlib.it)

One of the many great things about a port day in Naples is that the ship will be right in the historic part of town, so if you're back as planned by 4:15 you'll have plenty of time to take a short stroll from the port and see a little of the city.  

Castel Nuovo is facing the port, you can walk alongside it up to Via San Carlo and be in front of the opera house and the galleria within 750 meters/one-half mile of walking.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

The 15:25 (3:25 PM) on NLG will put you back at the cruise port at 16:15 (4:15 PM).

The next departure is the 16:30 (4:30 PM) on NLG arriving to Molo Beverello at 17:20 (5:20 PM).  

Homepage - NLG - Transfer TERRACINA PONZA - TREMITI ISLANDS - NAPLES CAPRI - NAPLES SORRENTO – AMALFI COAST (navlib.it)

One of the many great things about a port day in Naples is that the ship will be right in the historic part of town, so if you're back as planned by 4:15 you'll have plenty of time to take a short stroll from the port and see a little of the city.  

Castel Nuovo is facing the port, you can walk alongside it up to Via San Carlo and be in front of the opera house and the galleria within 750 meters/one-half mile of walking.

Thank you! The ship doesn't depart till 7pm, so there's lots of time. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello. It says to check-in at the ferry 30-mins prior. If our ship docks at 7am.. is it realistic to book an 8.05am ferry if we need to check in 30-mins earlier? And would you book the tickets well in advance (i.e. before we leave NZ - and we can print the tickets), or book them from the ship a day or 2 before.. but then we couldn't print them - although surely they would be electronic tickets now like the boarding passes for flights on your phone? Thank you. 

If the day comes and it's pouring down rain, would you still go?  The ferry will likely still run, so you wouldn't be able to get your money back.  If you're willing to give up the money if you change your mind, or if for some reason you miss the port, then buying ahead does make life a tad easier.