COVID Excursion Cancellations, Warning

We are aboard Radiance on an Alaskan cruise. My husband tested positive on day #3 and was placed apart in isolation. Of course, we had excursions already planned and paid for, both independently and through RCI. The independent tours do not offer any refund for cancellation due to COVID, while we got full refunds for my husband’s tickets from RCI. Just something to consider when deciding how to book those costly excursions, during this current COVID situation. We have lost hundreds of dollars from those independent tours. I am not debating the right of those tour operators to make policies on (unavoidable) last-minute cancellations, but instead pointing out the advantage of booking through the cruise line. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LindaD22 said:

We are aboard Radiance on an Alaskan cruise. My husband tested positive on day #3 and was placed apart in isolation. Of course, we had excursions already planned and paid for, both independently and through RCI. The independent tours do not offer any refund for cancellation due to COVID, while we got full refunds for my husband’s tickets from RCI. Just something to consider when deciding how to book those costly excursions, during this current COVID situation. We have lost hundreds of dollars from those independent tours. I am not debating the right of those tour operators to make policies on (unavoidable) last-minute cancellations, but instead pointing out the advantage of booking through the cruise line. 

Most independent companies will have 24 hour cancellation policies. if you call them directly too they are very good on giving you a refund or giving you credit if you can ever make it back. Also if you bought insurance these things would be covered many times. 

Alaska Shores tours has a 30-day cancellation policy and Glacier Winds has a 14 day. I will submit my losses to our travel insurance, which is certainly something all travelers should have, especially now. 

• Like 2

My husband began experiencing symptoms on day #3 with extreme fatigue and body aches. We had spent the entire previous day outside in the cold & rain, so at first chalked it up to that. By early afternoon, since he wasn’t feeling better, I tested him with a kit we had brought along. We then notified the medical center of his positive result and they took over from there. BTW, members of our Cruisetour tested positive just before boarding and were not allowed to continue. We had spent the tour time with these people on a bus and train, so that may have been his point of exposure. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LindaD22 said:

Alaska Shores tours has a 30-day cancellation policy and Glacier Winds has a 14 day. I will submit my losses to our travel insurance, which is certainly something all travelers should have, especially now. 

Yes, I believe that many vendors simply can't financially absorb the loss from last-minute Covid cases up there anymore.  The only exception these days it seems, if past the posted cancellation date, is if the ship doesn't dock, or docks late.  Those are refunded by independent vendors as well as the cruise line.

I hope your husband is feeling better, and the insurance company processes your claim quickly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Why was he tested on day 3?

Ummm probably because he didn’t feel good so did the right thing and tested so he wouldn’t keep spreading it all over 

Wish more people tested when they feel sick 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A better title might be remember there is a risk to booking private excursions. This has always been true dont pay ahead or a small deposit as there can be hurricanes or bad weather and you miss ports.

Any time you book private excursions you knowingly took the risk of losing your money. Covid just increased the risk people take. There is always a good reason to book thru rcl who did refund OPs money.  

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

A better title might be remember there is a risk to booking private excursions. This has always been true dont pay ahead or a small deposit as there can be hurricanes or bad weather and you miss ports.

Any time you book private excursions you knowingly took the risk of losing your money. Covid just increased the risk people take. There is always a good reason to book thru rcl who did refund OPs money.  

I totally agree with this. We haven’t booked anything in the last year that we were unable to cancel and get our money back.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LindaD22 said:

My husband began experiencing symptoms on day #3 with extreme fatigue and body aches.

Not a fun way to spend a trip. I hope he feels better soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

We normally book all our excursions through RCI; in fact, this is the first time we booked independently. Several of the most popular excursions were sold out pretty quickly in the cruise planner, so we looked for recommended alternatives here on CC. Yes, we knew and accepted the risk of doing so, but felt we had taken all possible precautions to stay healthy by being fully vaccinated (2 boosters), using stairs instead of elevators on board, and generally exercising caution. We are happy with the response from RCI to my husband’s situation, and certainly this  confirms our past practice of booking excursions exclusively through RCI.