Koningsdam Neptune suite room stewards

Cruise noob here so please forgive my probable ignorance in advance.

I'm wanting to understand how the room steward thing works, in particular, in a Neptune suite. Will we have one person for the whole cruise - multiple different people? I've read about some giving a tip on embarkation to their steward, and I can see the wisdom in that, but I don't want to go into our room and dump our stuff in there and tip the first person who shows up then realize that's the last day we see that person. Can anyone give me an idea, even in general, of what to expect in regards to the Neptune suite experience? I do believe I understand the concierge services available and the Orange dining perks, etc, but more just curious what to expect in regards to staff interaction and expectations we should have during our week long Alaska cruise the first week of July.

• Like 1

You will have 2 room stewards for your suite. They will have a 'block' of suites in the same area as yours. They will identify themselves to you, so you will know who they are. Usually, they also will put a card with names/phone numbers by your phone in case you need to speak with them. 

We have found the staff to be very helpful and considerate. You also will have a concierge you can talk with during the day.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BroncoBobblehead said:

I've read about some giving a tip on embarkation to their steward

Don’t do it.  It’s awkward for both the steward and yourself.  Pick up an envelope from Guest Services and leave your tip in your room when you go for dinner on the last night.  They will get it when they come in to do the turndown service and they will always thank you.  Enjoy your cruise, and welcome to HAL!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Traveling Dot said:

Whether in a Neptune or an inside cabin, you will have the same stewards for the whole cruise.  Usually there are two because they have so many cabins to take care of.  They will introduce themselves on the first day of the cruise.

Exactly.  I always ask for a card from them or at least write down their names that first day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Don’t do it.  It’s awkward for both the steward and yourself.  Pick up an envelope from Guest Services and leave your tip in your room when you go for dinner on the last night.  They will get it when they come in to do the turndown service and they will always thank you.  Enjoy your cruise, and welcome to HAL!

I have never once seen it as awkward to the room stewards or to me and I have done it at least 30 times. On our last cruise it was especially appreciated as they had a very good idea we would not be one of the hundreds of guests that were in line removing the guest service charges the day after embarkation. I even explained to them, Yudi and Yogi, that the tip was theirs to keep as we would not be removing the room service charges to eliminate any confusion. Must have been thanked 50 times for the blessing by the Y's guys!

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 2