In Stateroom Movies

wdblake

35 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Blockbuster

Be kind, rewind.  

I remember having to take the whole VCR machine to our neighborhood video rental place because the tape wouldn't eject.  Those were the good ol days, though actually not that very long ago.  Haha.  

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

Latest releases on DVD???  Do people still use DVDs!  I wouldn't know where to even get one.  😀

In my 50s and i still buy and watch them although i buy in a blu ray format. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MissP22 said:

The last cruise we were on was in Mar/April 2022.

There were no movies from 2022.

There were 7 movies from 2021 out of around 30 or presented.

Out of the 2021 movies one was only for kids (Godzilla vs Kong),

3 we had already seen, leaving 3 new to us and 1 was of no interest.

That leaves only 2 movies for 30 days (only shown once on MUTS only) and unless you wanted to watch them on MUTS (which I don't really prefer) you were out of luck.

The "newest" movies on Princess are those that are about to come out or have just come out on DVD. This is usually four to six months after release in theaters. Thus it is no surprise that there were no 2022 movies available on a March cruise in 2022.

And for the movie industry, there were relatively few movies released in 2021 due to the pandemic, so having 7 movies from 2021 was good under those circumstances.

In other words, the availability of "newer" movies now is about the same as pre-pandemic.

Also a change in the movie world is that some of the better movies are only available via streaming, never having been released in a movie theater or just having one week in a theater in order to be eligible for awards. I wound not expect to ever see these on a cruise ship on any cruise line.

14 hours ago, ldubs said:

Latest releases on DVD???  Do people still use DVDs!  I wouldn't know where to even get one.  😀

I've converted ALL my movies to .mp4 formal so I can bring them on a cruise with me. 

DVD's take up to much space for a Florida resident to save. 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, minikiss said:

In my 50s and i still buy and watch them although i buy in a blu ray format. 

We just stream or download movies.   I sold every DVD and CD we owned a couple of years ago at a garage sale.   I suspect it won't be long before DVD players will be hard to find.  

Edited by ldubs

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I have some...give me your address.🤣

Uh, no thanks!  😁

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I've converted ALL my movies to .mp4 formal so I can bring them on a cruise with me. 

DVD's take up to much space for a Florida resident to save. 😉

What do you watch them on?   Mrs Ldubs will download movies to her iPad for trips.  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Uh, no thanks!  😁

What do you watch them on?   Mrs Ldubs will download movies to her iPad for trips.  

At home I use my Roku unit or my WD-TV unit to watch them. I transfer the files to a thumb drive every so often. 

On the ship I bring the same unit's (preferable the Roku) since on last cruise I realized how neat it is to be able to use the Roku remote earphone plug in so as not to disturb my husband. Once connected to the ships TV it stays there until we leave. It only involves switching the input whenever I want to use it.

The Roku also lets me connect my phone to the cabin TV to either watch movies or my photo's/video's taken during the cruise. 

24 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

At home I use my Roku unit or my WD-TV unit to watch them. I transfer the files to a thumb drive every so often. 

On the ship I bring the same unit's (preferable the Roku) since on last cruise I realized how neat it is to be able to use the Roku remote earphone plug in so as not to disturb my husband. Once connected to the ships TV it stays there until we leave. It only involves switching the input whenever I want to use it.

The Roku also lets me connect my phone to the cabin TV to either watch movies or my photo's/video's taken during the cruise. 

Pretty cool.   Our last (and only since pandemic) cruise they (carnival)  had a warning by the TV that inputs were disabled and to not attempt connections.   Seems like a lot of trouble for them to go through.