Viking Air for a Newbe

ericosmith

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

How long before your cruise were you able to obtain the "early e-ticketing"? Thanks. I've gotten 3 different answers when calling Viking Air.  We are about 160 days out and I've been told: 1) within 24hours of final payment, 2) 90 days out, 3) 65 days out.

They said that having Air Plus makes no difference (understandable).

We called Viking Air Plus and got ticketed 110 days out. I was told it was too soon, but I persisted. The reason given for NOT ticketing early is due to flight changes. If the airline makes a change we don’t like, there is a change fee if we’re ticketed. I think they want flexibility of adjusting flights as airline changes are the norm. I said we like the flights, and wanted to upgrade seats online so I need it ticketed. They complied, with the warning if we change our minds, we’d need to pay a change fee. I know the airlines often change flights, but it was a chance we were willing to take, as that change won’t cost us anything but time. So far so good…..and we will live with any time changes by Delta. A very long layover at JFK is our buffer! 

Edited by CDR2001
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CDR2001 said:

We called Viking Air Plus and got ticketed 110 days out. I was told it was too soon, but I persisted. The reason given for NOT ticketing early is due to flight changes. If the airline makes a change we don’t like, there is a change fee if we’re ticketed. I think they want to flexibility of adjusting flights as right now, airline changes are the norm. I said we like the flights, and wanted to upgrade seats online so I need it ticketed. They complied, with the warning if we change our minds, we’d need to pay a change fee. I know the airlines often change flights, but it was a chance we were willing to take, as that change won’t cost us anything but time. So far so good…..and we will live with any time changes by Delta. A very long layover at JFK is our buffer! 

Thank you. We too need our e-ticket numbers to secure upgrades. I already checked with the  airlines and the "booking/fare class" that Viking used is indeed upgradeable. If the airlines change the flights after you are ticketed, the airlines have the responsibility to deal with you directly. No reason to agree to having Viking grab more $$$ from you. That is total BS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CDR2001 said:

We called Viking Air Plus and got ticketed 110 days out. I was told it was too soon, but I persisted. The reason given for NOT ticketing early is due to flight changes. If the airline makes a change we don’t like, there is a change fee if we’re ticketed. I think they want flexibility of adjusting flights as airline changes are the norm. I said we like the flights, and wanted to upgrade seats online so I need it ticketed. They complied, with the warning if we change our minds, we’d need to pay a change fee. I know the airlines often change flights, but it was a chance we were willing to take, as that change won’t cost us anything but time. So far so good…..and we will live with any time changes by Delta. A very long layover at JFK is our buffer! 

In the present post-COVID world, frequent flight changes are the norm. To manage the new norm, Viking are delaying issuing tickets until about 60-days before departure,

As the customer, if you wish a special deal, specifically having tickets issued earlier, you must accept the inherent risks. Viking clearly state when they issue tickets. If you don't wish to accept this risk and any additional costs, I suggest booking flights independently using points.

Unless Viking provides business flights, we always book our own flights using points. No way we will book Viking Air, hoping the fare class can be upgraded to Business or First.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just requested and received "early ticketing", no extra fee, for our Dec 2nd flight. Viking Air Plus was great. They also offered an inexpensive paid upgrade which would have been much  higher if purchased through the airline. Doesn't hurt to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

We have “free” air on our October 2022 Hong Kong to Bangkok cruise. Since booking MVJ has said that our flights would appear there today. When they didn’t, I called and spoke to someone at Viking Air. He was able to tell me our flights have been booked and emailed me the itinerary. I was hopeful that would push them into MVJ but as of yet it has not. 

During a call just now from TellUs about another issue, I asked how long it usually took for flights to show up in MVJ and the representative said he could see it was in “Quality Control”. He wasn’t sure how long that usually took.  

Since this is the first time I’ve heard about this department, does anyone have any experience and/or can give me an idea of when the flights might show up in MVJ?

We want to select seats different than what was pre-selected. We were able to do so for the return flights as they are on Delta but for the outbound on Air Canada they say we need to call.  In both cases, we aren’t able to select (and pay for) exit rows which is what we want to do. I don’t want to call if I am able to do it in MVJ. 

TIA!

3 hours ago, travelbug11 said:

Please also consider if you book your own air that the airlines are raising their fares.  My   Business class fare LA to Rome has gone up $1,000! 
So book sooner rather than later.

Have periodically checked my flights.  One just went down by about 20%.  Go figure.

• Like 1