Stockholm Local Ferry (80) to Frihamnen?

We are taking RCL out of Frihamnen and arrive early at the airport 6AM so wanted a little more scenic way to burn time before our noon check-in. We are very mobile and only bringing one bag each so light travelers. If we take the express train to central station....perhaps a brief walk through Gamla Stan (old town)..... it looks like it is a 1KM (15min) walk to Nybroplan, where the local 80 ferry runs to Frihamnen (and beyond) with a 1-hour ride.  Should just be 39SEK ($4USD) each as a normal commuter ticket.

Anyone ever done this?

Ferry 80 Map

https://sl.se/globalassets/linje-80.pdf

Ferry 80 Timetable

https://mitt.sl.se/ficktid/vinter/V80.pdf

6 hours ago, Desdichado62 said:

Just for the record. The time table is only valid for another 4 days.

Use this one if you visit 4 June - 21 August

https://mitt.sl.se/ficktid/sommar/S80.pdf

Ok, I have an noon check -in time at Frihammen for a July 31,  2022 cruise.  It looks like I can take a fery to Djurgarden and then take the ferry to Frihammen.  Does that Work.  Otherwise I need to take a bus to Nybroplan and the take a ferry to Frihammen. 

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Hmmm great point @DragonOfTheSeas, I could walk from Central station through Gamla Stan as I wanted (2KM, 25 minutes).......but instead of a much longer walk back through Gamla stan and over to Nybroplan as I was considering, we could instead take the 82 commuter ferry from right at the end of Gamla stan @ Stockholm Slussen kajen (10 minutes) right over to Allmänna gränd (on Djurgarden), and switch to the 80 commuter ferry for the remaining 40ish minutes to Frihammen.

Both trips should still fall under a single 75-minute ticket.  I did notice that 82 doesn't start as early (9AM) on the weekends as 80 (7AM) so good to download and review both schedules.

https://mitt.sl.se/ficktid/sommar/S82.pdf

Thanks for the idea (and @Desdichado62 for the updated timetable)!

But to directly answer your question as I understand it, YES, you can catch the ferry at Nybroplan and stay on the same boat all the way to Frihammen......or if you have a need to catch it in Djurgarden, you could also catch it there. 

Edited by pghflyer

32 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Hmmm great point @DragonOfTheSeas, I could walk from Central station through Gamla Stan as I wanted (2KM, 25 minutes).......but instead of a much longer walk back through Gamla stan and over to Nybroplan as I was considering, we could instead take the 82 commuter ferry from right at the end of Gamla stan @ Stockholm Slussen kajen (10 minutes) right over to Allmänna gränd (on Djurgarden), and switch to the 80 commuter ferry for the remaining 40ish minutes to Frihammen.

Both trips should still fall under a single 75-minute ticket.  I did notice that 82 doesn't start as early (9AM) on the weekends as 80 (7AM) so good to download and review both schedules.

https://mitt.sl.se/ficktid/sommar/S82.pdf

Thanks for the idea (and @Desdichado62 for the updated timetable)!

But to directly answer your question as I understand it, YES, you can catch the ferry at Nybroplan and stay on the same boat all the way to Frihammen......or if you have a need to catch it in Djurgarden, you could also catch it there. 

We are only a couple of blocks from Slussen.  So  the ferry to Djurgarden seems like the logical choice. We would board to Frihammen from there.  I am not sure if there is a problem with this route.  

We will not be in a hurry.  We just want to get there. 

• Like 1

Also, what is interesting in the ports after Frihammen?  DH and I might enjoy just sailing along the route after our stop until it comes back.  Is there anything we should see in one of these stops?  We could do that on Monday, Also, we have not decided what to do that day.

9 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Also, what is interesting in the ports after Frihammen?  DH and I might enjoy just sailing along the route after our stop until it comes back.  Is there anything we should see in one of these stops?  We could do that on Monday, Also, we have not decided what to do that day.

Just one more stop after Frihamen and that is Ropsten, not that much to see IMO.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stockholm+Ropsten+brygga+temporary/@59.3529778,18.1123623,3152m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x4f5edfc5f36f5ca9!8m2!3d59.3580335!4d18.1066392

1 hour ago, pghflyer said:

Are you sure @Desdichado62?  I read they added a bunch more stops in the last couple of years and the official map shows many more stops also............

Yes, this is the map I was looking at.  I have read how beautiful it is to sail in the archipelago to Stockholm.  I thought this might be a leisurely trip on either Sunday afternoon after we board the ship and rest for a while--or on Monday before we sail.  

I was wondering if any of these cities/towns have sites that would be interesting to get off the ferry and visit.  Of course, I would need to check the schedule for a return to Frihammen. The map looks like the ferry makes a loop and comes back to the port. 

1 hour ago, pghflyer said:

Are you sure @Desdichado62?  I read they added a bunch more stops in the last couple of years and the official map shows many more stops also............

Yes. It doesn't go further then Ropsten if coming from Nybroplan/Djurgården. If you want to go further you need to change boat (also named ferry route 80) at Ropsten.

https://mitt.sl.se/ficktid/sommar/S80.pdf

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Yes, this is the map I was looking at.  I have read how beautiful it is to sail in the archipelago to Stockholm.  I thought this might be a leisurely trip on either Sunday afternoon after we board the ship and rest for a while--or on Monday before we sail.  

I was wondering if any of these cities/towns have sites that would be interesting to get off the ferry and visit.  Of course, I would need to check the schedule for a return to Frihammen. The map looks like the ferry makes a loop and comes back to the port. 

I'd say no ,mostly residential areas . Boat route 80 is basically a commuter boat for people to use to get into the central city.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

I'd say no ,mostly residential areas . Boat route 80 is basically a commuter boat for people to use to get into the central city.

Thank you--may I ask you about the schedule?1038460009_SundayferrytoFrihammen.thumb.png.adda984c6cce784272945b7730e15b79.png

This is the part of the schedule for a Sunday. I am scheduled to check in for my cruise from 12:00 to 12:30 on Sunday July 31.  Therefore, I would be traveling during the section labeled "samma minuttal." Does this mean the ferry stops every hour at 15, 30 45 and 00?  Also, it seems I would need to go to Nybroplan to catch the ferry. 

I could not use the stop at Allmanna grand to begin my ferry ride on # 80 unless I get off the ferry at Necka Strand and wait for another ferry.  Am I reading that correctly?  If so the 10:15 from Nybroplan would get me to Frihammen at 11:05.  that would be my best choice.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Thank you--may I ask you about the schedule?1038460009_SundayferrytoFrihammen.thumb.png.adda984c6cce784272945b7730e15b79.png

This is the part of the schedule for a Sunday. I am scheduled to check in for my cruise from 12:00 to 12:30 on Sunday July 31.  Therefore, I would be traveling during the section labeled "samma minuttal." Does this mean the ferry stops every hour at 15, 30 45 and 00?  Also, it seems I would need to go to Nybroplan to catch the ferry. 

I could not use the stop at Allmanna grand to begin my ferry ride on # 80 unless I get off the ferry at Necka Strand and wait for another ferry.  Am I reading that correctly?  If so the 10:15 from Nybroplan would get me to Frihammen at 11:05.  that would be my best choice.

Yes samma minuttal means leaves at those interval during the "gap" between 9 and 12.45
And it looks like you have to change boat at Nacka strand to # 80X, note sure though and not sure why.

Edited by Desdichado62
  • Like 1

Not understanding Swedish at all, my reading is that only the trips that leave Nybroplan at 15 and 45 minutes past the hour go to Frihammen. If would seem that if you want to be there for 12:00, you would need to catch the 11:15 from Nybroplan, which would get you to Frihammen at 11:57, just before your half hour window.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Not understanding Swedish at all, my reading is that only the trips that leave Nybroplan at 15 and 45 minutes past the hour go to Frihammen. If would seem that if you want to be there for 12:00, you would need to catch the 11:15 from Nybroplan, which would get you to Frihammen at 11:57, just before your half hour window.

Yes, this seems a better choice.  

3 hours ago, Desdichado62 said:

Yes samma minuttal means leaves at those interval during the "gap" between 9 and 12.45
And it looks like you have to change boat at Nacka strand to # 80X, note sure though and not sure why.

I am not sure why that is either.  But, I think I will take the 11:15 ferry from Nybroplan.   

Thank you both!  

Yes, this seems a better choice.  

I am not sure why that is either.  But, I think I will take the 11:15 ferry from Nybroplan.   

Thank you both!  

If you time it well, you can still use Djurgårdsfärjan (#82) to Allmänna gränd, switch to #80 from Allmänna gränd (departs at 11.01) to Nybroplan and then use the same boat to Frihamnen.

However Djurgårdsfärjan is very popular in the morning (lots of people going to Gröna Lund, Skansen, and other sights at Djurgården so the queue  can be quite long (if the weather is nice).
However if you go early and the weather is nice you can go for a short stroll along water towards the Vasa area.
Also be aware that boat #80 doesn't share queue with boat #82 so at Allmänna gränd (if you go there) go to the right to get to the boat to Nybroplan.

https://www.google.se/maps/@59.324213,18.0951599,3a,48.9y,294.55h,87.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKk12F6yfEjWUTZrCSEql6w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

If you time it well, you can still use Djurgårdsfärjan (#82) to Allmänna gränd, switch to #80 from Allmänna gränd (departs at 11.01) to Nybroplan and then use the same boat to Frihamnen.

However Djurgårdsfärjan is very popular in the morning (lots of people going to Gröna Lund, Skansen, and other sights at Djurgården so the queue  can be quite long (if the weather is nice).
However if you go early and the weather is nice you can go for a short stroll along water towards the Vasa area.
Also be aware that boat #80 doesn't share queue with boat #82 so at Allmänna gränd (if you go there) go to the right to get to the boat to Nybroplan.

https://www.google.se/maps/@59.324213,18.0951599,3a,48.9y,294.55h,87.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKk12F6yfEjWUTZrCSEql6w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I think we will embark in Nybroplan to make sure we get on the ferry in case there are crowded conditions.

23 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

f you time it well, you can still use Djurgårdsfärjan (#82) to Allmänna gränd, switch to #80 from Allmänna gränd (departs at 11.01) to Nybroplan and then use the same boat to Frihamnen.

That's not the way that I read the schedule. First of all it is Allmänna gränd at 11:08, not 11:01. It arrives at Nacka strand at 11:35, but that ferry seems to end there. You would have to switch to the ferry that had come directly from Nybroplan that departs at 11:38 for Frihammen (the same one that you would have been on if you had departed from Nybroplan at 11:15) arriving at Frihammen at 11:57.

Edited by gnome12

Yeah confusing with the changing routes, but thanks all for sorting it out.

I'm with you @gnome12, looks like the last time you can catch the 80 at Allmänna gränd which goes direct to Frihammen is 8:38AM......and then it does not run the full route again until 13:08 for some reason....and in that time gap, the only connection from Slussen (via 82) would be at Nacka Strand by getting off and waiting for the subsequent 80 after 27 minutes.  So at that point 2 switches just becomes too much fuss, and I will probably just huff it back to Nybroplan as well. Shucks.

Thanks for the help with the photo on ferry direction @Desdichado62

Edited by pghflyer

8 hours ago, gnome12 said:

That's not the way that I read the schedule. First of all it is Allmänna gränd at 11:08, not 11:01. It arrives at Nacka strand at 11:35, but that ferry seems to end there. You would have to switch to the ferry that had come directly from Nybroplan that departs at 11:38 for Frihammen (the same one that you would have been on if you had departed from Nybroplan at 11:15) arriving at Frihammen at 11:57.

You read it correct, but reads the time table for the wrong direction.

In this case it was route from Ropsten towards Nybroplan which stops at Allmänna gränd at 01 past (on weekends) and reaches Nybroplan 9 minutes later where you can use the same boat to Frihamnen.

Another option from Djurgården is tram line #7 which stops at both Gröna Lund and Nybroplan.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Great point @Desdichado62.....I totally forgot to look at the other direction route....my goodness, I feel like I am playing the dumb person in a bad bar joke..."how many XYZ's does it take to read a single Swedish ferry timetable".....ha ha

The timetable shown in post #12 is definitely from Nyboplan. Look at the times on the left and right, they get bigger as you go down.

I see that, honestly I was more just making a general comment on my own thought process for what I wanted to do (Slussen to Frihammen with no more than 1 stop) and how every time one of you guys posts, another light bulb goes on (I swear they have let me leave the USA before this ha ha). Still bottom line for me is I can't do a one-stop ferry from Slussen in the 10-11AM timeframe on a weekend day so will just do my Gamla Stan stroll around the island and back to Nyboplan for the easy non-stop. Cheers all.

• 3 weeks later...

Also note that Slussen area is undergoing massive construction project and the location of Slussen-Djurgården  ferry has been moved bit north. (It will not be as shown on most guide book maps but not that difficult to find)

• Thanks 1