Help Choosing Alaska Cruise

On 6/21/2022 at 10:33 AM, smokeybandit said:

All those towns are tourist traps.

They put the Caribbean jewelry vendors to shame

For the most part, the entire Alaska cruise experience is a giant tourist trap.  One and done for me.  Even all the guides are just young people from the midwest working summer jobs.

4 minutes ago, BNBR said:

For the most part, the entire Alaska cruise experience is a giant tourist trap.  One and done for me.  Even all the guides are just young people from the midwest working summer jobs.

Did you visit any glaciers?  That was by far the highlight for me.

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Did you visit any glaciers?  That was by far the highlight for me.

Yeah. The tours were ok.  The glacier tour was the best one we did.  But in general it's just trees and mountains like anywhere else.  Seen one, seen them all.  I wish I did more research before booking.  It just wasn't for us and I really don't understand the draw of Alaskan cruises.  Tourist trap towns with an astonishing amount of ships, cold and enclosed ships, and just a couple days of actual exploration, that is borderline overly touristy also.  If we do Alaska again someday, it'll be flying there and maybe going to a lodge or something like that.  Though I personally think Norway is significantly more beautiful than what I've seen in Alaska, and far less touristy.

13 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Well the cruise industry relies on tourist traps.

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

Thanks!  That does look like an incredible trip, but I have to stick to a 7-night cruise.  I might be able to stretch it to 8 nights, but that's the limit for my wife being away from home!

May only get there once, make the most of it. Make arrangements to lengthen your vacation this time. Will be well worth it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

May only get there once, make the most of it. Make arrangements to lengthen your vacation this time. Will be well worth it.

You will need to call my wife and convince her.  Being gone for 9 days for a 7-night cruise is a hard enough sell!  Quite often we set out for a week at the beach and we stay only 5 days because she's homesick.  

2 minutes ago, rudeney said:

You will need to call my wife and convince her.  Being gone for 9 days for a 7-night cruise is a hard enough sell!  Quite often we set out for a week at the beach and we stay only 5 days because she's homesick.  

Does she drink?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I see what you are saying there!  🤣  Yeah, but not enough to be convinced that a two-week vacation only lasts for one week!

Book it and surprise her..........

• Haha 1