Help Choosing Alaska Cruise

I'm torn between two different cruises next year, round-trip out of Seattle. One 7 night on the Quantum of the Seas leaving June 26th, visiting Sitka, Skagway, Dawes glacier, and Juneau. The other 7 night is several hundred dollars more on the Ovation of the Seas leaving July 14th visiting Ketchikan, Skagway, Dawes Glacier, and Juneau.  I'm thinking the second itinerary may have smoother sailing due to more inland waters and Ketchikan and Sitka are similar in their small town feel, so I'm not sure which to choose since I'm unsure of other differences. 

Edited by kevin1551

We have visited both Sitka and Ketchikan  on a HAL cruise.   Since the main difference is those two cities, I recommend the cruise going to  Sitka.  Both are small towns, but Sitka has historic significance plus is in a lovely setting.  Ketchikan is a tourist trap.  A lot of gift shops (overpriced and made in China), plus the locals were not as welcoming as in other parts of Alaska.  

If you do end up in Ketchikan, plan a shore excursion that takes you out of town.  We did a float plane trip inland for great scenery.  

If smooth sailing is a concern, choose a cruise out of Vancouver, not Seattle.

Seattle ships sail on the west side of Vancouver Island so it's very much like open seas with no views and the chance of rough water.  Vancouver ships sail between Vancouver and the BC mainland so it's more protected with scenic views and calmer water  .

But of your 2 choices, Sitka ! assuming you have good port times everywhere, 

17 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Vancouver ships sail between Vancouver and the BC mainland so it's more protected with scenic views and calmer water  .

Unless you sail a Q class ships (at the start and end of season), in which case they don't.

We've been 3 times and have found that the Vancouver to Vancouver (best port) with Hubbard, (by far the best glacier) and if you can find it Icy Straight Point, we loved that one! is the best itin... in September, we usually take the last cruise of the season.  Cheaper and Weather has been fantastic then.  The only place we had to wear heavy clothing was at the glacier.  You could wear shorts the other days in the afternoon.  So you are able to conserve on packing.  No having to co-ordinate an extra train or bus ride from Seattle to Vancouver either.   And you can also have lovely accomodations at Canada Place in the hotel, just ride the escalator down to the ship whilst your bags are sent ahead for you!  It's a snap boarding!  The only little hitch is the customs at Vancouver when you return, but we didn't mind that at all.  We did not like our Seattle departure at all.

Planning our next one exactly the same for 2024 as soon as the schedule is out next March.  I call the morning (early) its released in order to snag an aft.  We feel this location gives you more opportunity for critter viewing, it's heaven!  It'll probably be Radiance again, but we'd like to do a Quantum class if possible, but that's not as important as the point to point route.  It avoids so many extra expenses if you avoid the north bound south bound itins.  I'd also like to do Sitka which we haven't yet, but you can't have everything.  Then there's the cruise/land excursions, but we never have enough time for those.  That's our take, everybodies experience is always different.  Do check the destination threads and see what others advise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Both itins is are so similar that I would choose the lower price.  Personally I find Sitka more appealing as well.  Either would be a great cruise.  

Edited by Bxc53

Everyone seems to consider Stika and Ketchikan similar and I agree but it might depend on what you want to do in port.  

One plus for Ketchikan is it offers close to port in walking distance places you can watch the Salmon go up stream and the ladders. In July they will be running.    We went to the Raptor center, Bear place and park with all the totem poles in Stika which was nice.   

I will also agree the Hubbard Glacier out of Vancouver was great but Getting to VCR is a pain and if somehow you catch Covid the real pain begins.   

Edited by volk904

14 hours ago, kevin1551 said:

I'm torn between two different cruises next year, round-trip out of Seattle. One 7 night on the Quantum of the Seas leaving June 26th, visiting Sitka, Skagway, Dawes glacier, and Juneau. The other 7 night is several hundred dollars more on the Ovation of the Seas leaving July 14th visiting Ketchikan, Skagway, Dawes Glacier, and Juneau.  I'm thinking the second itinerary may have smoother sailing due to more inland waters and Ketchikan and Sitka are similar in their small town feel, so I'm not sure which to choose since I'm unsure of other differences. 

You are getting so many great answers that I think your only choice is to go on both cruises!!

• Haha 4

We did Ovation this year, with a bit of a different itinerary.  I agree with the others that say either would be an excellent cruise.  You can't go wrong with either.

Have a great cruise!

Definitely inside passage.  Makes a big difference in the "motion".  The entire West Coast of the North American Continent is not for sissies. I think San Diego is the only port I've sailed from that didn't have rocky seas.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kevin1551 said:

I have done Ovation in 2019 and will go in August for Quantum.

I truly liked Ketchikan, but since I just found out from another cc person who takes a lot of photos,

that in town of Sitka, you can walk along a path to a national park area that is just beautiful.

Been to Sitka twice and did not know about this. So my Quantum is doing this port.  I picked Quantum before I knew this as I wanted to try this ship and will be my 3rd in the class.

good luck in your choice and if you can, try a B2B between ships and stay in Seattle for a few days in between if need be.

Sounds like your first AK cruise?  Then you shouldn’t be let down by either cruise.  Both will give you the standard experience. What you chose to do for excursions will make the biggest difference.  

I am not a fan of Ketchikan, but enjoyed doing a float plane trip to a glacial lake in the Tongass Forest with Island Air.  

Sitka is on my To Visit list; it’s the last of the most-visited AK ports that I have not seen.  

I consider AK to be an itinerary focused on scenery and getting outside and doing something (not necessarily high intensity, but often unique).  Helicopter rides, glacier walks or viewing, whale watching cruises, rafting, biking, animal observing, or zip lining.  Or just watching from the deck (I have always gotten off the ship while in every AK port - but routinely stay onboard in Nassau; didn’t leave the fenced port area in Falmouth).  This is different than the Caribbean where people get off to swim in the ocean, relax, or have some drinks.

I would pick the lower-cost cruise, then apply the savings to shore excursions.

I sailed NCL Encore Sep 2021 from Seattle and have sailed from Seattle and Vancouver and have been fortunate to have no significant weather on the seas.  So I wouldn’t base my decision on that.

Check out excursions for Sitka and Ketchikan.  Compare Specialty dining options on the two ships.  I think Ovation holds more people - does that matter to you?  Otherwise, throw a dart at a decision poster or read some tea leaves - it’s pretty much even if you don’t have specific wants - it’s Alaska and either would be great.

Have a great visit to the Last Frontier.  

Edited by alohayall
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, volk904 said:

Getting to VCR is a pain

Only if you fly into Seattle.  If you fly into Vancouver and out of Vancouver, it's a snap, grab a taxi and voila!  And the Vancouver airport is absolutely beautiful!  You are right if you have to get transportation from Seattle to Vancouver and back.  We will not ever include Seattle in our Alaska plans again.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

We cruised Alaska on Ovation last month.   We stopped at Sitka.   I did a live review.   I am going to try to paste a link to page 13 where you can see the Sitka experience.   Once on page 13, scroll down to post #325.  That should be where the Sitka pics start.  I believe Sitka is through page 16.  We really enjoyed Sitka.   Visiting the National Park is free.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2851824-live-…-ovation-of-the-seas-…alaska-…-may-13-may-20-2022/page/13/

• Like 1

Our next cruise will likely be Alaska.  I would like to think we'd do this next year, but it's more likely to be 2024.  Looking at itineraries, Enchantment has the best port options, but I'd rather sail on a larger ship.  We really like Voyager/Freedom class, but also would like to try a larger ship.  Should we look into a Quantum-class ship, or are the smaller ships a good choice?  

10 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Only do an Alaskan cruise if it goes to Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. 

Agree, going to Alaska is all about the Glaciers. Royal wouldn't be my choice no matter which of their ships sail there because they don't go to Glacier Bay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rudeney said:

Our next cruise will likely be Alaska.  I would like to think we'd do this next year, but it's more likely to be 2024.  Looking at itineraries, Enchantment has the best port options, but I'd rather sail on a larger ship.  We really like Voyager/Freedom class, but also would like to try a larger ship.  Should we look into a Quantum-class ship, or are the smaller ships a good choice?  

Look for a cruise like this for 2023......or one like it for 2024 if that is the year you decide to go to Alaska.

Sapphire Princess  2023

Saturday, April 29 Vancouver, BC, Canada   4:30pm
Sunday, April 30 At Sea    
Monday, May 1 At Sea    
Tuesday, May 2 Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising)    
Wednesday, May 3 Icy Strait Point, AK 8:00am 6:00pm
Thursday, May 4 Juneau, AK 8:00am 10:00pm
Friday, May 5 Skagway, AK 7:00am 8:30pm
Saturday, May 6 Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve, AK (Cruising)    
Sunday, May 7 Sitka, AK 8:00am 5:00pm
Monday, May 8 Ketchikan, AK 9:00am 6:00pm
Tuesday, May 9 At Sea    
Wednesday, May 10 Vancouver, BC, Canada 7:30am
Edited by Jimbo

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Look for a cruise like this for 2023......or one like it for 2024 if that is the year you decide to go to Alaska.

Sapphire Princess  2023

Sunday, April 30 At Sea    
Monday, May 1 At Sea    
Tuesday, May 9 At Sea    

Now that looks like a great itinerary! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Sapphire Princess  2023

Sunday, April 30 At Sea    
Monday, May 1 At Sea    
Tuesday, May 9 At Sea    

Thanks!  That does look like an incredible trip, but I have to stick to a 7-night cruise.  I might be able to stretch it to 8 nights, but that's the limit for my wife being away from home!

8 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Thanks!  That does look like an incredible trip, but I have to stick to a 7-night cruise.  I might be able to stretch it to 8 nights, but that's the limit for my wife being away from home!

There's also this 7 nighter, on Majestic Princess:

DAY  PORT
1       Whittier
2       Hubbard Glacier
3       Glacier Bay
4       Skagway
5       Juneau
6       Ketchikan
7       Cruising
8       Vancouver

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1