Viking British Isles Cruise - Tips for others going on this cruise

Milehighgrandma

Copied from FB Viking Cruises Travelers group.

BRITISH ISLES EXPLORER EXCURSIONS PRICES
Since there's interest in the costs for the optional excursions, here's a price list. We leave for this cruise tomorrow. If an excursion is NOT listed, then it is not being offered on our particular cruise. All prices are in American dollars. Hope this helps in your planning!

BERGEN:
Norwegian Gold & Silversmiths - $109 
19th Century Knitting Factory - $129
Bergen at War - $149
Ascent of Mt. Ulriken - $119
A Snapshot of Bergen - $119
A Taste of Norwegian Farm Life - $139
Flightseeing over Fjords & Glaciers - $479
Dale of Norway - $99
Nordic Walking in Bergen - $89
Mt. Floien Hike - $109
Griegs House & Recital & Fantoft Stave Church - $139

SHETLAND ISLANDS:
Ninian's Shetland Knitwear Experience - $299
Northmavine & Shetland Jewelry - $129
Walking the Nature Trails of Mouse Island - $119
Shetland Seabirds Experience by Boat - $299
The Shetland Pony Experience - $239
Crofting Shetland - $159
Lerwick by Foot & Shetland Museum - $79
THE HIGHLANDS:
Cawdor Castle & Culloden Battlefield - $179
Please note that our port stop for this was moved to Rosyth so we are overnighting there instead.
EDINBURGH: (Rosyth):
Royal Yacht Britannia & Ultimate Edinburgh - $239
Glenmorangle Distillery - $139
Magnificent History of Scone Palace - $159
Bagpipe Workshop & Whiskey Tasting - $239
Walking Tour of Edinburgh's Historic Royal Mile - $119
The Da Vinci's Code's Roselyn Chapel - $119
Broomhall Home of the Family Bruce - $319
ORKNEY ISLANDS:
Orkney's Stone Age - $139
Viking History & Ancient Pastimes - $199
Yesnaby to Skara Brae a Scenic Coastal Walk - $139
Orkney's Wartime Legacy - $149
THE HIGHLANDS (ULLAPOOL):
Castle Leod - $319
Inverewe Garden - $179
Scenic Assynt - $149
Knocken Crag Hike - $169
BELFAST:
A Day in St. Patrick's County - $179
Belfast Food Trail - $189
City Drive, Crumlin Road Jail & birthplace of the RMS Titanic - $199
Colebrooke Park, Sear of Viscount Brookeborough - $399
Mount Stewart House & Gardens - $109
Coastal Drive & Glens of Antrim - $99
Titanic Belfast Walk - $99
Irish Whiskey Walk & Tasting - $179
HOLYHEAD:
Flestiniog Railway & Lunch - $179
Castles of Wales - $219
Gwydir Castle - $129
Bodnant Garden - $129
Snowdonia Hike & the Ugly House - $299
Beaumaris on Foot - $149
Menai Strait by RIB - $219
South Stack Bird Reserve - $99
Caernarfon Castle - $99
LIVERPOOL:
Horseshoe Pass & Steam Railway - $229
Roman City of Chester - $179
Arley Hall - $199
The Beatles Experience - $129
Port Sunlight & Ness Botanic Gardens - $99
Maritime City of Liverpool - $79
The Athenaeum - $209
Western Approaches & Maritime Museum - $99
Knowsley Hall - $199
Afternoon Tea with Lord Mayor - $219
DUBLIN:
Ballyknocken Farmhouse Baking - $129
Guinness Connoisseur Experience - $239
Water of Life at Jameson Distillery - $129
Historic Dublin on Foot - $119
Experience Traditional Irish Entertainment - $119
DOVER:
Canterbury Cathedral & Leeds Castle - $199
Vintage Railway & Bodiam Castle - $209
Britain at War - $209
Vineyard & Wine Tasting with Lunch - $279
Sissinghurst Castle Gardens - $139
Walmer Castle & Sandwich - $119
LONDON (GREENWICH):
Thames River Cruise - $99
Ceremony of the Keys at London Tower - $219

I'll try to post our impressions of the actual excursions we take.

Edited by JerryInIL
Accuracy
  • Like 2

We just got home Sunday…still jet lagged…I’m wide awake at 3AM and writing on CC boards….here is what we did and our Impressions…we did London to Bergen…then we did the train to Oslo on our own…

London - churchill’s bunker…oh so good…Tower of London tour…maybe the best castle tour we ever have taken and we’ve done a bunch…very interactive with a lot of participation

Dover - Britain at War…very good guide…tea in an abandoned train tunnel…I enjoyed my first sample of English Fish and Chips (the real kind).

‘’Dublin - Water of Life…the guide at the distillery was over the top…definitely an actor…my husband really enjoyed the tasting…I did not so much…I’m a wine lover…it was interesting to see Dublin for the first time…they did give us a panoramic view 

Liverpool - Beatles Experience…I’m glad I did this…many interesting facts…got to see the childhood homes of John and Paul and the “Beatles Experience” museum…ok…now I’ve done it…I probably would not need to do it again, but I’m glad I did it once.

Holyhead - Ffestiniog Railway…one of my favorite excursions…every part of it was interesting and well presented…our guide was actually raised in Wales…I loved the language and the history

Belfast - coastal Drive and Glens of Antrim…once again…one of my favorites…I thought this would be kind of an unassuming excursion…it was anything but! The scenery was spectacular…we went to a public park to a “tea house” for tea and scones! We really loved this excursion and one of our traveling mates has mobility issues and he just loved it! Mostly driving around, but the surroundings and the guides narrative made this trip!

Ullapool - didn’t dock…the winds were too high

Orkney Islands - Viking History- Definitely one of my VERY favorite excursions…not described to be as good as it actually was…we were met by a college professor originally from Norway and with a degree in Norse History..she was dressed as a Viking…she was so knowledgeable and so cute! She told us stories and legends, she sang us songs…we had to do a line dance…it was really funny and cute…she and her co-guide made us a stew at a campfire on the beach…we learned to make rope…she gave each of us a rock with our name written runes…I could go on and on…this was a fantastic excursion! 

Edinburgh - did not do an excursion…there was a garbage workers strike and the city was filthy…I understand the strike has been settled, so it could be better now

Highlands - Colloden  field in the morning…very moving…I’m an Outlander Books fan, so it was particularly moving to me. Cowder Castle in the afternoon - this was an interesting castle with a gift shop and cafe

Shetland Islands - Really rainy day…we did the panoramic tour and pony overview…not too much to it…it was because of the cold rainy weather

Bergen - we had originally signed up for the Norwegian Farm Life and the ascent to Mt Ulrekin, but the day was predicted to be rainy…it wasn’t…the good weather fairy showed up and the day was beautiful! We exchanged our tickets to Dale of Norway…by the way it’s not “Dale” of Norway…it Dal-eh of Norway (who knew?)…anyway..I thought…I’m not spending that kind of money on a sweater! I live in the Southeast! Boy, was I wrong! When I saw the quality and effort made to make each of the sweaters…I was sold! Luckily, they make a very lightweight sweater…and it was even on-sale! Bought hats and headbands for relatives…yep..I bought into the Dale of Norway belief!

we took the train from Bergen to Oslo…the scenery was spectacular! The Viking extension was sold out, so we did it on our own.  I have been to Alaska a few times and I think the scenery is the best…Norway may be even better…it is definitely worth it! we stayed 2 nights in Oslo and enjoyed it very much…we did a “Viator” tour (the grand tour, which included several stops plus a fjiord cruise…fully enjoyed it! Long flight home, but we were glad we went!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, JerryInIL said:

Copied from FB Viking Cruises Travelers group.

BRITISH ISLES EXPLORER EXCURSIONS PRICES
Since there's interest in the costs for the optional excursions, here's a price list. We leave for this cruise tomorrow. If an excursion is NOT listed, then it is not being offered on our particular cruise. All prices are in American dollars. Hope this helps in your planning!

BERGEN:
Norwegian Gold & Silversmiths - $109 
19th Century Knitting Factory - $129
Bergen at War - $149
Ascent of Mt. Ulriken - $119
A Snapshot of Bergen - $119
A Taste of Norwegian Farm Life - $139
Flightseeing over Fjords & Glaciers - $479
Dale of Norway - $99
Nordic Walking in Bergen - $89
Mt. Floien Hike - $109
Griegs House & Recital & Fantoft Stave Church - $139

SHETLAND ISLANDS:
Ninian's Shetland Knitwear Experience - $299
Northmavine & Shetland Jewelry - $129
Walking the Nature Trails of Mouse Island - $119
Shetland Seabirds Experience by Boat - $299
The Shetland Pony Experience - $239
Crofting Shetland - $159
Lerwick by Foot & Shetland Museum - $79
THE HIGHLANDS:
Cawdor Castle & Culloden Battlefield - $179
Please note that our port stop for this was moved to Rosyth so we are overnighting there instead.
EDINBURGH: (Rosyth):
Royal Yacht Britannia & Ultimate Edinburgh - $239
Glenmorangle Distillery - $139
Magnificent History of Scone Palace - $159
Bagpipe Workshop & Whiskey Tasting - $239
Walking Tour of Edinburgh's Historic Royal Mile - $119
The Da Vinci's Code's Roselyn Chapel - $119
Broomhall Home of the Family Bruce - $319
ORKNEY ISLANDS:
Orkney's Stone Age - $139
Viking History & Ancient Pastimes - $199
Yesnaby to Skara Brae a Scenic Coastal Walk - $139
Orkney's Wartime Legacy - $149
THE HIGHLANDS (ULLAPOOL):
Castle Leod - $319
Inverewe Garden - $179
Scenic Assynt - $149
Knocken Crag Hike - $169
BELFAST:
A Day in St. Patrick's County - $179
Belfast Food Trail - $189
City Drive, Crumlin Road Jail & birthplace of the RMS Titanic - $199
Colebrooke Park, Sear of Viscount Brookeborough - $399
Mount Stewart House & Gardens - $109
Coastal Drive & Glens of Antrim - $99
Titanic Belfast Walk - $99
Irish Whiskey Walk & Tasting - $179
HOLYHEAD:
Flestiniog Railway & Lunch - $179
Castles of Wales - $219
Gwydir Castle - $129
Bodnant Garden - $129
Snowdonia Hike & the Ugly House - $299
Beaumaris on Foot - $149
Menai Strait by RIB - $219
South Stack Bird Reserve - $99
Caernarfon Castle - $99
LIVERPOOL:
Horseshoe Pass & Steam Railway - $229
Roman City of Chester - $179
Arley Hall - $199
The Beatles Experience - $129
Port Sunlight & Ness Botanic Gardens - $99
Maritime City of Liverpool - $79
The Athenaeum - $209
Western Approaches & Maritime Museum - $99
Knowsley Hall - $199
Afternoon Tea with Lord Mayor - $219
DUBLIN:
Ballyknocken Farmhouse Baking - $129
Guinness Connoisseur Experience - $239
Water of Life at Jameson Distillery - $129
Historic Dublin on Foot - $119
Experience Traditional Irish Entertainment - $119
DOVER:
Canterbury Cathedral & Leeds Castle - $199
Vintage Railway & Bodiam Castle - $209
Britain at War - $209
Vineyard & Wine Tasting with Lunch - $279
Sissinghurst Castle Gardens - $139
Walmer Castle & Sandwich - $119
LONDON (GREENWICH):
Thames River Cruise - $99
Ceremony of the Keys at London Tower - $219

I'll try to post our impressions of the actual excursions we take.

WOW!!! This is very nice of you. I can't wait to hear about your experience. I sure hope you share your thoughts. Bon Voyage!!!

• Like 1

There is a dock/pier in Oslo with many restaurants (kind of like pier 53? In Panama City, FL)…we where ready for some American food so we went to “Big Horn” the first night and “Olivia’s” (Italian) the second night…we were tired of fish after the cruise and were wanting something other than generally Norwegian fare.  Both were very good. When you are there, take a cab to the pier and walk it…there are many choices…even a TGI Friday’s (didn’t even know there were any left anymore!)

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 8:22 AM, Let Me Travel! said:

I’m sad because we will be in Edinburgh in August, during the Tattoo…leaving the port at 5:00PM…boohoo…would have loved to stay late in the evening for the Tattoo…has anyone ever been? I hear it is spectacular!

I was able to attend the Tattoo in 1971 while stationed in Scotland.  We had to get our tickets a long time in advance.  As I remember, the seating wouldn't have been able to accommodate the small number of people, 930, onboard a Viking Ocean ship, and the hordes of regulars that attend.  I'd estimate the capacity was 2,000.

It was a spectacular show and a lot of bagpipe music.  We had tickets for the 1972 event, but I was transferred back home, a year early, for a long-term school.

The Tattoo isn't the only event occurring during that period.  We were in Edinburgh for four nights to see a lot of other shows.  There were concerts, Shakespearean plays (got to see one in the round), and art shows.

Edited by TiiiSailor

I don't know your dates or why V has had to cancel this excursion Sempremare but do check the ceremony of the keys website. Very often there are cancellations and the tickets are then made re-available. Worth a try to do it solo!

• Like 2

Just a thought, if you have no luck with the above perhaps check out the Changing of the Guard website. Maybe you could do a DIY trip to see that? The bit at St James's Palace is a delight as the area is stunning, as is the Palace. You could maybe enjoy a walk around the area too as there's so much to see and enjoy. Check out the link.

https://changing-guard.com/dates-buckingham-palace.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For anyone booked on a cruise visiting UK in the next 10 - 14 days, due to the sad passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II yesterday evening, a number of Royal attractions will be closed. Some other businesses and event may also be closed, postponed, or cancelled.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

For anyone booked on a cruise visiting UK in the next 10 - 14 days, due to the sad passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II yesterday evening, a number of Royal attractions will be closed. Some other businesses and event may also be closed, postponed, or cancelled.

We arrived yesterday morning, and our hotel is just around the corner from Buckingham palace. The mood is surreal. Yesterday while we were standing with the crowds outside the gates, we watched as King Charles and Camilla entered the palace for the first time as king and queen. 

B07EE7B4-FA44-4820-A479-BEDCF306F308.jpeg

• Like 8

If you happen  to be at  Borough Market  & in the mood for something to go with wine in your hotel room before departure,  find a shop called Brindisa.

Brindisa specializes in a variety of meats and cheeses from Spain, including this one which is some of the best charcuterie I’ve ever had.  One of the most knowledgeable experts behind the counter I’ve ever talked with me about five minutes about the chatcuterie you see in the picture. 

803160AC-80C6-4903-8F25-822AEAADD770.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous information here - thank you all!

we’re sailing London (Tilbury) to Bergen April 29 - May 13. Cruise ends with two days in Bergen. We are contemplating taking the train from Bergen to Oslo. A few questions - if anyone can answer:

1) how early can we disembark in Bergen on that second and last day? Contemplating a train that leaves about 8:30 AM. Could we make it?

2) one site about train warns to get window with full view, I believe on right side? In business/1st class train seat, you get an assigned seat? Anyway to insure we get a “good” seat? Anyone that’s done this train ride who can give info? 

thanks in advance! 

29 minutes ago, happyyaya said:

Fabulous information here - thank you all!

we’re sailing London (Tilbury) to Bergen April 29 - May 13. Cruise ends with two days in Bergen. We are contemplating taking the train from Bergen to Oslo. A few questions - if anyone can answer:

1) how early can we disembark in Bergen on that second and last day? Contemplating a train that leaves about 8:30 AM. Could we make it?

2) one site about train warns to get window with full view, I believe on right side? In business/1st class train seat, you get an assigned seat? Anyway to insure we get a “good” seat? Anyone that’s done this train ride who can give info? 

thanks in advance! 

The ship will be docked in Bergen overnight, so getting off early to make your train shouldn’t be an issue.

We took the train from Bergen to Oslo a few years ago. I don’t think one side is better than the other. Early on, the scenery on the left was spectacular. Later, we had better views on the right. (We sat on the right.) You really can’t go wrong. 

I didn’t know there was a business class on the train. We did the Viking extension, and Viking rented two of the cars for us; a very good tour guide talked to us a bit as we traveled. It helped the time pass; it’s a very long ride. But I’m glad we did it.

• Like 1