Viking British Isles Cruise - Tips for others going on this cruise

Milehighgrandma

If you have a Viking excursion in Shetland and they don’t dock there,

*do they refund your $ to onboard credits if you booked with money you had on account in on board credit (IE extra money left over from future cruise credits used to book this cruise) OR

* if you paid for the Viking excursion by credit card, do they refund your credit card or put it into on board credit you have to use on this cruise?

If you have to use on board credit on this cruise, what can you spend it on?

sorry you didn’t get to dock in Shetland - sounds like an interesting place and Viking lists some interesting excursions there. Did they give a reason why you couldn’t stop there? 

we do this cruise in April 2023. 

19 minutes ago, happyyaya said:

*do they refund your $ to onboard credits if you booked with money you had on account in on board credit (IE extra money left over from future cruise credits used to book this cruise) OR

* if you paid for the Viking excursion by credit card, do they refund your credit card or put it into on board credit you have to use on this cruise?

sorry you didn’t get to dock in Shetland - sounds like an interesting place and Viking lists some interesting excursions there. Did they give a reason why you couldn’t stop there? 

Our experience is that if it was paid for by voucher, you must spend it on something else before you debark.  If it was paid for by Viking obc or TA OBC, same situation.  If paid for by credit card, they refund to your credit card.

23 minutes ago, happyyaya said:

Yes, Viking will refund your excursions in the manner in which you paid for them. Ours were purchased with money from our voucher, so we were refunded as shipboard credit for this cruise. You have to spend it before the cruise ends. We have been making a few trips to the onboard shops, and DH has gotten a couple massages. Alternatively, you could roll the credit onto a new excursion. Or some fancy drinks or bottles of wine.

The weather at the Shetlands was given as the reason for cancellation. I assume high winds and rough seas.

Edited by Twitchly

Just now, PRH said:

Our experience is that if it was paid for by voucher, you must spend it on something else before you debark.  If it was paid for by Viking obc or TA OBC, same situation.  If paid for by credit card, they refund to your credit card.

PS, this unfortunately happened on the day before debarkation and though there was nothing to spend the $300 on at that point, Viking insisted “too bad.”  We continued to protest as we had paid for other excursions with credit card and given how late in the cruise this came up, we were not happy with their response.  Ultimately they agreed to do some swapping of how excursions were paid for so that we were refunded to our credit card a month or two later.

5 minutes ago, PRH said:

PS, this unfortunately happened on the day before debarkation and though there was nothing to spend the $300 on at that point, Viking insisted “too bad.”  We continued to protest as we had paid for other excursions with credit card and given how late in the cruise this came up, we were not happy with their response.  Ultimately they agreed to do some swapping of how excursions were paid for so that we were refunded to our credit card a month or two later.

I wondered how they would handle really late cancellations, since they close the shops a day or so before the end of the cruise. We squeaked in just under the wire and bought a couple of things before they closed. Glad they did the right thing and refunded your money.

On 9/23/2022 at 9:30 PM, safeman said:

Thanks so much for posting the pricelist Miche99!! We're also booked for August 2023. Bergen to London. August 15 to 29. Which booking are you on?

safeman, we are also booked on the August 15th sailing.  Feel free to join the cruisecritic roll call for our cruise.

• Like 1

Thanks for all these tips! We will be on the BIE cruise Bergen to Tilbury departing April 15, 2023 and although I started a roll call a while ago, only a few have responded. I am hoping others on that cruise may be reading this thread.

Three private tours (for 4 people each) have been reserved by me in Invergordon, Belfast, and Orkney Islands that are roughly $100-$125 (plus admissions, lunch, tips) per person.  All of them are payable at the tour and all are pick up and return to the port.  Orkney Islands is a little tentative on my part as they have not yet come up with their 2023 pricing, although they are holding a car for us.  There is a less expensive small bus tour option I am considering in Belfast but I think the smaller private tour is the way to go with flexibility to change the itinerary somewhat if preferred.

I am looking for another couple on this cruise, with no limited mobility issues, who may be interested in joining us for any of these excursions.  Please reply to this message if you are interested and/or join the roll call established on CC and reply through that forum!

• Like 1

We’re doing the April 29 London (Tilbury) to Bergen.
As of yesterday, all the shore excursions disappeared from My Viking Journey! We’d been looking at them, ordering them in preference for when we can reserve them, and then poof! They’re gone! Still this morning, there are no shore excursions on My Viking Journey when I log in to this cruise. Anyone else have that happening or know why? 

For those arriving or departing Greenwich, 

I totally enjoyed this tour:  

https://britmovietours.com/bookings/greenwich-tour-of-film-locations/

We walked area in Greenwich around the Royal Navy College, both sides of that creepy tunnel under the Thames, to see how it has provided a backdrop for an a stunning # of films.  The guide was excellent.  As we walked, he illustrated the tour via a notebook of movie scene printouts to show how the scene was created.   Plus he shared all sorts of interesting trivia. 

Ex: While Skyfall was filmed, the music students in the college engaged in devious hijinks by softly playing the classic Bond theme from inside the building while filming was being attempted outside, confusing the film crew who had to debug the 'situation'.

I created a list of movies to watch / re-watch that will all look different now that I walked the scenes.  

Four weddings and a Funeral,  the film that changed British filmmaking, made Hugh Grant a star

28 weeks Later -  Jeremy Renner,  Idris Elba 
One of the 'escape' scenes was filmed in that Greenwich foot tunnel under the thames

Layer Cake

The Dark Knight rises

Batman begins first then the dark knight

Pirates of the Caribbean on Stranger tides

Thor

The Duchess Keira Knightley

Gulliver’s travels

Skyfall

Four weddings and a funeral

The Mummy returns

Muppets most wanted

The Man from Uncle 

Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey the first one and Jude Law

Les Miserables

Now you’ve seen me - II

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1

Whilst making Pirates of the Caribbean, Johnny Depp, in full costume, plus others  made a surprise visit to the school just down the road from the Royal Naval College.   The kids were so delighted.

We had a second home in Greenwich until last year.   Filming there is constant because it is also used often in TV series as well as films.

I feel those that are docked in Tilbury really miss out on this wonderful place.

Having just returned from our Viking cruise we know that the usual docking place everywhere (we were in the Med)  is usually in an ugly industrial port.  In Greenwich you are in the heart of a wonderful World Heritage site.  So much to see and do within a short walking distance of the ship.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Whilst making Pirates of the Caribbean, Johnny Depp, in full costume, plus others  made a surprise visit to the school just down the road from the Royal Naval College.   The kids were so delighted.

My Brit Movie Tour guide mentioned that also.    He said that during the Thor? Filming that Chris Hemsworth did something similar and would just show up at local bars, etc.

What a cool place to live.  Greenwich seems to have layers of interesting things to do and see.

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 4

Yes we did the B2B this year in June and July, Greenwich to Greenwich, so little flying as we are from the UK.  We enjoyed having duplicate ports which allowed us to plan alternative excursions.  Unfortunately we missed Shetland in one part and Orkney  on the other because of weather.  We managed two stops in Edinburgh and did our own trip to the Royal Yacht Britannia on one leg and the included on the other.  We were able to walk to Britannia after tendering ashore.  Great cruise, however we caught Covid on board and were in isolation for 5 days.  We still love Viking and have 2 river and one ocean cruise booked for 2023.  
Happy cruising everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So does anyone know anything about these new ports for next year BIE leaving August 15?

Changing three ports. Kirkwall changed to Scrabster, Scotland. Ullapool changed to Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Scotland and Belfast to Douglas, Isle of Man.

I have seen postings in this thread that several of the BIE cruises couldn't get into Ullapool port because of frequent bad weather. But the others are puzzling as to why.

Edited by safeman

21 minutes ago, safeman said:

So does anyone know anything about these new ports for next year BIE leaving August 15?

Changing three ports. Kirkwall changed to Scrabster, Scotland. Ullapool changed to Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Scotland and Belfast to Douglas, Isle of Man.

I have seen postings in this thread that several of the BIE cruises couldn't get into Ullapool port because of frequent bad weather. But the others are puzzling as to why.

I have seen postings about bad weather in Ullapool and Orkney causing the ship not be able to dock or drop anchor but why are they changing the Belfast port?

I would be disappointed to miss Belfast, but fwiw, The Isle of Man is one of our favorite places we've visited.  We flew in from London several years ago - an experience in itself - and spent 4 days there.  We walked all over, drank in the pubs with the locals, had great food, and just an overall amazing time.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, aungrl said:

I would be disappointed to miss Belfast, but fwiw, The Isle of Man is one of our favorite places we've visited.  We flew in from London several years ago - an experience in itself - and spent 4 days there.  We walked all over, drank in the pubs with the locals, had great food, and just an overall amazing time.  

Yeah we are disappointed Aungrl. But the Isle of Man sounds like a great experience. We are anxiously awaiting for the excursions they have planned on the Isle of Man. Did you visit any historical sites while you were there? Did you go to other cities other than Douglas?

1 hour ago, safeman said:

Yeah we are disappointed Aungrl. But the Isle of Man sounds like a great experience. We are anxiously awaiting for the excursions they have planned on the Isle of Man. Did you visit any historical sites while you were there? Did you go to other cities other than Douglas?

We stayed in the Douglas area.  The Manx museum is there, which is good for several hours.  (Viking history and artifacts, and Isle of Man history.)  There's a park-type area that I think has an official name, but everyone calls it the Fairy Glen.  It's great to walk through - they decorate it for the Christmas holiday with different lights, etc., if you happen to be there at that time of year.  There's a cemetery, really old, within walking distance of the main downtown area.  And several nature-type walks.  My husband used to ride - not professionally! - and has always been very interested in the TT, so we did a lot of things related to that...walked all through the paddock area, walked some of the route, stopped in one of the main TT pub/bar/restaurant places, etc.  We had no trouble at all filling up our few days.  Would go back in a heartbeat if the opportunity arises.

• Thanks 1

My main worry about that itinerary change would be the risk of the Isle of Man being completely dropped from the itinerary due.  It seems like that happens to the smaller ports like Ullapool and Shetland Islands on the British Isles Explorer I just completed.  

Plus Belfast was a favorite port.   

Cruises before and after the August 15 BIE cruises are keeping to the original itinerary for the most part. I saw only one other with our new (worse) itinerary.

The Isle of Man may be great, but it's pretty shabby to have Belfast removed from the itinerary. I called Viking to register my displeasure at this change. I got no real answer, of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SempreMare said:

My main worry about that itinerary change would be the risk of the Isle of Man being completely dropped from the itinerary due.  It seems like that happens to the smaller ports like Ullapool and Shetland Islands on the British Isles Explorer I just completed.  

Ports are missed due to prevailing wind and/or weather conditions that preclude safe docking, not due to the size of the port.

I expect in the Isle of Man, you will dock/tender at Douglas, which is used by a number of good size ferries to multiple UK ports and Dublin.

4 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Yes changing one small port for another doesn't make any sense to me at all. And Belfast certainly doesn't fit that category. Belfast certainly is certainly on our bucket list as well. DW has ancestry from Scotland and Ireland. 

2 hours ago, LAFB said:

Cruises before and after the August 15 BIE cruises are keeping to the original itinerary for the most part. I saw only one other with our new (worse) itinerary.

The Isle of Man may be great, but it's pretty shabby to have Belfast removed from the itinerary. I called Viking to register my displeasure at this change. I got no real answer, of course.

I also contacted the agent at Viking that handled our booking. He didn't know about the change until I called. He has no idea why the change was made either. At least they know about our displeasure.

On 9/28/2022 at 8:32 AM, GoNavyFamily said:

Thanks for all these tips! We will be on the BIE cruise Bergen to Tilbury departing April 15, 2023 and although I started a roll call a while ago, only a few have responded. I am hoping others on that cruise may be reading this thread.

Three private tours (for 4 people each) have been reserved by me in Invergordon, Belfast, and Orkney Islands that are roughly $100-$125 (plus admissions, lunch, tips) per person.  All of them are payable at the tour and all are pick up and return to the port.  Orkney Islands is a little tentative on my part as they have not yet come up with their 2023 pricing, although they are holding a car for us.  There is a less expensive small bus tour option I am considering in Belfast but I think the smaller private tour is the way to go with flexibility to change the itinerary somewhat if preferred.

I am looking for another couple on this cruise, with no limited mobility issues, who may be interested in joining us for any of these excursions.  Please reply to this message if you are interested and/or join the roll call established on CC and reply through that forum!

GoNavyFamily, we are interested in the excursions you mentioned and would like to discuss. This will be our third Viking cruise and we have previously taken the included excursions except in St. Petersburg. 

10 hours ago, Jambajuice57 said:

GoNavyFamily, we are interested in the excursions you mentioned and would like to discuss. This will be our third Viking cruise and we have previously taken the included excursions except in St. Petersburg. 

Absolutely! Please send me an email fysimon at Gmail dot com. (I've seen others post their emails this way so I'm thinking maybe these forums don't allow the traditional email address format.)

I also suggest you check out our roll call on cruise critic. We are slowly starting to get responses from fellow cruisers there!