Viking British Isles Cruise - Tips for others going on this cruise

Milehighgrandma

The two times we were there Viking ran a shuttle from the pier to the railroad station.  The train to London from Tilbury station takes about 40 minutes - I think the round trip fare the last time I was there (2 years ago) was about US$ 8.  

Do be aware that there are TWO train stations in Tilbury.  Be sure you get off at the right one!   Of course, if you make a mistake, just wait for the next train.

One morning I wanted to get to London early in the morning, so I walked from the pier to Tilbury station - it was about a 20 minute walk (I walk pretty fast for an old poop!).

Edited by Johannaj
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The rail unions are in the middle of strikes at the moment. Likely not to last much longer, but best to have a plan B. Unions have to give 14 days notice of strike action, so hopefully everyone will have time to make other arrangements. Don't rely on replacement busses, they are usually dire

Thanks for the information on tours/excursions.  I'm expecting the DV5 cabin we have will see mostly sold out excursions when it's our turn to book.  This is our first Viking Ocean cruise.  I understand the priority booking protocols but Viking is literally creating steerage classes similar to the early 1900's and if this is "the experience" of Viking, we will go back to Regent Seven Seas you don't have to worry about excursions being sold out, buying upgraded beverage packages, tight restaurant reservations, or over crowded shows.  I'm getting more and more disillusioned with Viking as our cruise gets closer.  We are booked for the July 8 British Explorer and have added the Oslo to Bergen by train extension.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:01 AM, Mcrosby57 said:

creating steerage classes

No more so than any other cruise line that offers levels of service or access-restricted facilities to those who pay more.  The difference is that on Viking, there are no access restricted bars, lounges or pools, no butlers in white gloves and everybody is treated as if they were traveling in the Owner's Suite.  Imho, on board restrictions are more apt to create a steerage class effect than do a tiered access to tours and reservations that ends before pax even board the ship. 

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  Forget about the specialty restaurants for a minute, because the food just isn't THAT much better than the fabulous food in the main dining room.  Even when we have the option to book, we sometimes don't bother.  But you can get a reservation once you get on board.

If you don't find the tours you want online through MVJ,  just go to the excursion desk when you get on board and they will get it straightened out.  Every single time.  Once, I was put on a waiting list and had tickets by the next morning.  That's as bad as it gets.

Of course, the "included" tours may not be what you want, anyway.   So, if you are going to take an optional tour anyway, be sure to check out local guides or companies like Viator.

Regent Seven Seas may still end up being your preference, but their prices factor in a level of alcohol use and other amenities that Viking doesn't expect everyone to want or pay for.  And I hated having to pack more clothes for the fancy evening attire.   Meanwhile, I hope you have a great trip.

• Like 4

On 1/11/2023 at 11:01 AM, Mcrosby57 said:

Thanks for the information on tours/excursions.  I'm expecting the DV5 cabin we have will see mostly sold out excursions when it's our turn to book.  

All DV cabins book at the same time.  You have the same chances as any other DV cabin of getting the shorex you want.  

I went on this cruise in September. The highlights of London I was looking forward to when booking (2019) was no longer available. We did a 4 hour tour of London with “Tours by Locals” - Nicholas was our guide. He was amazing. It was limited because the queen had died and there was a procession that day,

Belfast -  Coastal ride and Glens of Antrum was amazing. We had a beautiful day and the scenery was exactly how I pictured Ireland. It was wonderful. It was not an included tour.

We did the included tour At Orkney islands. I had no idea how interesting it would be Another highlight of the cruise. The stone structures were wonderful.

We boarded in Greenwich to start.  When we sailed the first night we headed to Dover.  I just happened to wake up early due to jet lag and saw the cliffs of Dover in the distance. I ordered room service and thoroughly enjoyed the scenery as we got closer. This was something I really want to see and would have been disappointed if I missed it. This was about 6:30 am. 

Bergen was very pretty. We took the train to Oslo. It was very scenic even though it was cloudy. Oslo was beautiful. We did the included tour. The hotel was in a great location. We ate several times at a restaurant around the corner. Great city to walk in. The people there were so nice and everyone seemed happy. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tas353 said:

I went on this cruise in September. The highlights of London I was looking forward to when booking (2019) was no longer available. We did a 4 hour tour of London with “Tours by Locals” - Nicholas was our guide. He was amazing. It was limited because the queen had died and there was a procession that day,

Belfast -  Coastal ride and Glens of Antrum was amazing. We had a beautiful day and the scenery was exactly how I pictured Ireland. It was wonderful. It was not an included tour.

We did the included tour At Orkney islands. I had no idea how interesting it would be Another highlight of the cruise. The stone structures were wonderful.

We boarded in Greenwich to start.  When we sailed the first night we headed to Dover.  I just happened to wake up early due to jet lag and saw the cliffs of Dover in the distance. I ordered room service and thoroughly enjoyed the scenery as we got closer. This was something I really want to see and would have been disappointed if I missed it. This was about 6:30 am. 

Bergen was very pretty. We took the train to Oslo. It was very scenic even though it was cloudy. Oslo was beautiful. We did the included tour. The hotel was in a great location. We ate several times at a restaurant around the corner. Great city to walk in. The people there were so nice and everyone seemed happy. 

Thank you so much for the information. We are also doing this cruise in June. Do you remember the name of the restaurant in Oslo?

1 hour ago, Ceegeefl said:

Thank you so much for the information. We are also doing this cruise in June. Do you remember the name of the restaurant in Oslo?

There is a train station around the corner from the hotel. One of the Viking ladies recommended the restaurant to us……Fjola Central Station Oslo. We liked the atmosphere and the food.  I had the fish soup and it was very good. We ate there twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. It looked like they also had outdoor seating but it was too cold when we were there in late September. There are other restaurants in the building. 

The hotel was very nice and had an amazing breakfast buffet. 

Tas353: 

We take the British Isles cruise and end up in Bergen. We plan to stay overnight there and take the train to Oslo. Am curious, how did you book your ticket on the train? Many warn not to use Ninja Railway. Did you book your seat in advance? In the Komfort car 1? Have any opinions of the train ride? Do you agree it's best to sit on the right side on the Bergen to Oslo route?

1 hour ago, happyyaya said:

Tas353: 

We take the British Isles cruise and end up in Bergen. We plan to stay overnight there and take the train to Oslo. Am curious, how did you book your ticket on the train? Many warn not to use Ninja Railway. Did you book your seat in advance? In the Komfort car 1? Have any opinions of the train ride? Do you agree it's best to sit on the right side on the Bergen to Oslo route?

We did it as a post extension through Viking. There were I think 3 groups of us and it was random which car we sat in but they were all the same. We sat on the right side heading to Oslo and I think we had the better scenery. The train had a cafe where you could purchase food and coffee. I think we had a voucher for coffee. 

2 hours ago, happyyaya said:

Tas353: 

Use the Norwegian rail site to book your tickets: vy.no. Very reliable.

Hi Everyone, Jay and Audrey here. Excited to finally take this cruise (April 29, 23) after 3 cancellations. Some great posts on this thread. Thank you.

We'd like to book some excursions with "Tours By Locals". Please let us know if interested. 9th Viking cruise, 6th ocean. 

Hello Felloe BIE Travelers,

For those on the 4/29/23 BIE cruise. I'm wondering if anyone is interested in a private tour from London with Tours By Locals to the Cotswolds/Oxford? This would be a 10-hour tour and with 8 travelers the cost is only $140.50 (USD).

Link to tour:

London-England Tour - Cotswolds & Oxford City Private Day Tour (toursbylocals.com)

23 minutes ago, jkreitz said:

Hello Felloe BIE Travelers,

For those on the 4/29/23 BIE cruise. I'm wondering if anyone is interested in a private tour from London with Tours By Locals to the Cotswolds/Oxford? This would be a 10-hour tour and with 8 travelers the cost is only $140.50 (USD).

Link to tour:

London-England Tour - Cotswolds & Oxford City Private Day Tour (toursbylocals.com)

I see that you have posted the private excursions on your roll call as well. That's the preferred spot to do so, reserving this board for more general topics. Enjoy the trip! 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

I see that you have posted the private excursions on your roll call as well. That's the preferred spot to do so, reserving this board for more general topics. Enjoy the trip! 🍺🥌

That said, please come back after your cruise and let us know how your tours with Tours by Locals went.  Those of us going in the future would love to hear about it.  

2 hours ago, PlainvilleGirl said:

My husband and I are hoping to take this cruise this summer.  We are currently on a "wait list".  One question we have is about the "included" tours.  What have experiences been with them rather than going on tours at additional expense?  Thank you.

The included tours are generally intended to provide an overview introduction to a port. They tend to be either a coach tour or a more local walking tour. Our experience is that they were a good overview if you did not know a port and did not care for the optional excursions. On most, you can elect to depart the tour and return to the ship on your own (just be sure to let the guide know).

If you have not already found it, the Viking purchase site shows sample included and optional excursions fir each port under the "Itinerary" tab. While there is no guarantee any of these will be offered, they provide a useful comparison between the included and optional choices, as well as a breadth of offerings. 🍺🥌

On 6/29/2022 at 6:22 AM, Let Me Travel! said:

I’m sad because we will be in Edinburgh in August, during the Tattoo…leaving the port at 5:00PM…boohoo…would have loved to stay late in the evening for the Tattoo…has anyone ever been? I hear it is spectacular!

Horrible planning!