Recovery letter VS. Rapid test

I currently am recovering from Covid and leave for Alaska in 26 days. I know I am able to get a letter from my doctor saying I have had Covid within the last 90 days, but is embarkation just easier with a negative test? I already have the positive PCR results, so it might be nice to save some $$ and not do another test in July. But wondering if anyone has any experience with the recovery letter process. Is it a hassle? Thanks!

I would agree that doing a rapid antigen test is the best approach, but I would also recommend getting the recovery documentation from your MD just in case the antigen test shows positive. The one thing I would not recommend is getting another PCR test, because they can show positive months after recovery.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jennianne said:

is embarkation just easier with a negative test?

yes.

14 days after developing symptoms and a super-duper positive antigen and PCR tests I tested negative on the antigen test. Since you are currently in recovery and you still have 26 days to go, I think you have a great chance of testing negative in 25 days.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

What specifically makes the letter more difficult?

Nothing other than the potential reluctance of an MD to actually write one. Our MD had no problem writing one for us. It becomes a bit more problematic once on a cruise, however, because several of the ports of call (like Bermuda and the ABC islands) will not let you off the ship with a recovery letter. Had we not also tested negative and used that when we boarded, we would have not been allowed of the ship in any of the ports on our cruise.

• Like 1

We are currently in the same situation. First, we called the TA to tell them what was going on last weekend (person started showing symptoms, took 2 home tests, and immediately isolated). We placed a hold on a cruise in October as a contingency plan.

Tuesday, 2 days before our cruise, we all got PCR'd and our suspicion was confirmed: suspected case turned confirmed. We immediately called our TA, told them the update, canceled our Thursday cruise, and booked the October cruise.

Our next step is to get the person recovered and get a COR from RC. RC has been informed, via our TA, and we're getting a refund. Our reservation has been moved to the October cruise.

We are all vaccinated and boosted except for 1 9 year old. If more boosters are available by the time we go, we'll take them. In the meantime, if anyone does so much as sneeze near me, I will run so fast in the opposite direction...I do NOT want to miss the October cruise!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Our next step is to get the person recovered and get a COR from RC. RC has been informed, via our TA, and we're getting a refund. Our reservation has been moved to the October cruise.

oh man, i'm glad you were able to get a refund and get yourself rebooked! October will be past the 90 day window you won't be able to use a doctor's note, correct? 

Embarkation is easier with a negative test, but the reason they have the 90 day recovery letter is because you may not be able to get a negative test. One of my family member's is in that situation and tests positive for a couple of months after having mild symptoms.

The only difference is that they need a supervisor to confirm the letter, so it took an extra 2 or 3 minutes at check in.

Unless you want to be left scrambling in the last couple of days before the cruise, I would line up a letter of recovery now. Even if you can test negative before the cruise, if for some reason you end up getting tested on board and test positive, having the letter of recovery may keep you out of quarantine.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jennianne said:

oh man, i'm glad you were able to get a refund and get yourself rebooked! October will be past the 90 day window you won't be able to use a doctor's note, correct? 

The odds of testing positive (regardless of test type) 90 days out have to be extremely low for that date to be selected as a cut-off date. 

16 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Our next step is to get the person recovered and get a COR from RC.

You get the recovery letter from your physician. RCL's only role in the process is to validate the document when you arrive at the port.