January vs. May crossing

kshannon5

Hello again all,

My husband and I are grappling with when to make our first crossing. Our choices are the Jan 3rd 2023 or the May 26 one. (Both NY - Southampton)

We were leaning towards January - 8 nights instead of 7, less crowds during our week of travel afterwards, cheaper due to not being "high season", etc.

Yet May would have nicer crossing weather (or maybe not?), definitely warmer for land travel, but a more expensive travel month too and more crowds.

I also wonder, via recent mask requirement changes, if the May trip will have a lesser chance of requiring masks aboard. (Which we want, but prefer to avoid discussion on that topic, we fully realize there are two sides to it). If we choose Jan but don't make final payment, we have flexibility in case masking rules are in flux to switch to May.

I guess my question has two parts: 1 - Jan and May pros/cons as choices Irregardless of covid,  and 2 - the ability to switch easily to a later cruise if masking issues arise - is it easy.

Thank you all,

Kris

Edited by kshannon5

If you really ask about mask rules in particular, any guess is as fine. Just today we had a post reporting of QV  introducing masks like we had others before. Especially easy to implement rules might change any time in any direction.

Looking at the past the chance of other Covid related restrictions, eg. flights, Immigration rules, are more likely in cold Winter.

About you changing your mind: Cancellation fees are currently charged if not cancelling a long time before.

Edited by carlmm

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

About you changing your mind: Cancellation fees are currently charged if not cancelling a long time before.

Do you happen to know the time window for this? And even if it's just a switch instead of a cancellation, especially during covid times?

46 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The Atlantic in May is just starting to recover from winter - probably not much warmer than in January - but the sun will be higher - and above the horizon longer - so if you go for a balcony, make sure it's on starboard side.   

Great suggestion! I also assume a regular balcony vs. sheltered will give better light also?

Definitely May. Better weather on the ship. More importantly, Northern Europe is quite nice in May with long bright evenings, but I would never choose to visit the UK in January, and I live here. Nothing to be said for it, and May won't be that expensive except for the Bank Holiday week at the end.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Definitely May. Better weather on the ship. More importantly, Northern Europe is quite nice in May with long bright evenings, but I would never choose to visit the UK in January, and I live here. Nothing to be said for it, and May won't be that expensive except for the Bank Holiday week at the end.

Food for thought, much appreciated. I've been to the UK many other times, but never in January.

The bank holiday is the final weekend, yes?

2 minutes ago, kshannon5 said:

Food for thought, much appreciated. I've been to the UK many other times, but never in January.

Yes, the Bank Holdiay is at the end of May, 29 next year, 27 2024.

Sorry, hadn't quite finished.

The other thing about January is that, if it snows, or rains a lot, or there are very strong winds, all of which have happened in the last few years, all transport options can be thrown in to utter confusion. May is so much nicer.

13 minutes ago, kshannon5 said:

There's a Bank Holiday at the beginning of May as well but that's only 1 off school, not the whole week 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kshannon5 said:

I guess my question has two parts: 1 - Jan and May pros/cons as choices Irregardless of covid,  and 2 - the ability to switch easily to a later cruise if masking issues arise - is it easy.

Thank you all,

Kris

Kris,

We have made 2 Crossings in May (2017 & 2022), on both we had generally very good weather. However, on most Cunard bookings, final payment is due 90 days before sailing so you are correct in your though that booking in January would give you a fall-back position but you would have to do so by October. As carlmm pointed out, predicting what COVID, the cruise lines and the CDC will throw at us 90 days out is going to be difficult. 

For us, one of the draws of the QM2 is it's great promenade deck. We walk laps almost every day as well as relax on the beautiful teak deck chairs and watch the North Atlantic Ocean go by. There we have seen whales (actually just one whale), sea turtles and porpoises. We also have had many enjoyable conversations with new found friends.   And yes, there has been the unanticipated naps following an evening of being over served. My point is, you might have a better chance of enjoying this part of the QM2 Crossing experience in May than in January.  Either month, I'm sure you will have a grand time.

Jack

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Kris,

We have made 2 Crossings in May (2017 & 2022), on both we had generally very good weather. However, on most Cunard bookings, final payment is due 90 days before sailing so you are correct in your though that booking in January would give you a fall-back position but you would have to do so by October. As carlmm pointed out, predicting what COVID, the cruise lines and the CDC will throw at us 90 days out is going to be difficult. 

For us, one of the draws of the QM2 is it's great promenade deck. We walk laps almost every day as well as relax on the beautiful teak deck chairs and watch the North Atlantic Ocean go by. There we have seen whales (actually just one whale), sea turtles and porpoises. We also have had many enjoyable conversations with new found friends.   And yes, there has been the unanticipated naps following an evening of being over served. My point is, you might have a better chance of enjoying this part of the QM2 Crossing experience in May than in January.  Either month, I'm sure you will have a grand time.

Jack

Thank you for your wonderful, thorough post. 

We have reasons for wanting January AND May, so we're trying to do pros and cons to see which one works out. So info such as yours really helps.

And you're 100% correct about covid predictions. I feel like from now on out that will not be part of our considerations.

3 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

I will predict that January is more likely to be a bad month for Covid, TSV, flu and any other virus than May. Viruses are seasonal and after the holidays there is always a spike.

And they flourish in the colder weather. I really can't see much advantage to coming to the UK in January if you have a choice.

• Like 1

People have discussed Covid so will not enter that discussion but NY and UK in winter may have snow / ice and bad travelling weather.  The UK is lousy in dealing with snow so be aware, personally I have a 4x4 car with snow tyres so I am ok, (I had to get to work regardless of the weather).  I have been in NYC, Cardiff  and London in January with snow (no 4x4 car) and not fun as I was working and conferencing.   

January in UK is quiet post Christmas and New Year celebrations, most people just hunkering down waiting for spring. Good time of year to be out walking and getting fit for the spring and summer.  Personally I would go for May - warmer, lighter nights, spring has sprung and just a better feeling.  

• Like 2