Success with Uber/Lyft Request After Disembarking at Cape Liberty?

egurbi

Hi there,

Will be disembarking Oasis on August 21st.  Me and 6600 other people I suspect.  I am assuming I will need to book an uber/lyft in advance, but was wondering if anyone has had success at catching an uber/lyft within a reasonable time period after requesting when disembarking. 

I realize this can be ship/day specific, but if anyone has had any experience with making the request as they got off a cruise I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Finally, bonus points if you can tell me where uber/lyft pick up is at cape liberty.  Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egurbi said:

I am assuming I will need to book an uber/lyft in advance, but was wondering if anyone has had success at catching an uber/lyft within a reasonable time period after requesting when disembarking.

No problem disembarking Celebrity Summit. They actually got there quicker than I thought and were waiting. I thought it would take longer than the time it said (only like 7 minutes) and they were there sooner. Granted Summit is about half as many passengers but there are plenty of Ubers/Lyfts around-- there are a lot of people that drive their own car, get onto busses, and have car services arranged so you aren't fighting the whole ship for an Uber. 

Pickup is right in front of the terminal-- no specified pick up spot. Just follow the app and look for the driver. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, egurbi said:

Finally, bonus points if you can tell me where uber/lyft pick up is at cape liberty.  Thank you!

After clearing facial recognition, you will go left to exit the terminal. Once outside go to your right. There will be overhead hanging numbers to indicate which zone you are in for pick up. Zones 2-10 are for car services. There are limited benches in these waiting zones. Those using taxi would go to zone 10, cross two roadways marked with crosswalks to the lot/waiting area for taxi service.

• Like 2

Last month when i sailed on the Adventure of the seas out of cape liberty , it took the uber app forever to search for a driver and the wait was over 20+ minutes. this was around 8am

also due to everyone requesting a uber, uber automaticlly added in that annoying extra surge pricing

• Like 1

We had alighted from the Adventure of the Seas this past February. No arrangements were made in advance. After clearing immigration and customs, we walked outside and my wife arranged for local transportation, from Cape Liberty to the closest light rail station, through Uber. The pick-up address is 4 Port Terminal Bouelvard in Bayonne. The drop-off address is 534 Avenue E in Bayonne (which is immediately adjacent to the short walkway leading to the 34th Street station). There is no specific pick-up location at Cape Liberty, but the curb space is marked with several numbered zones to facilitate a specific rendezvous. If memory serves correctly, we specified our location at "Zone 10." A car and driver found us easily about fifteen minutes after having made the arrangement, and we were quickly on our way. The trip was about ten minutes in duration and the total fare was approximately ten dollars for both of us. So within half an hour of having cleared immigration and customs we were on the train heading back into New York City.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GTJ said:

We had alighted from the Adventure of the Seas this past February. No arrangements were made in advance. 

Would have been impossible to as Adventure of the Seas was not sailing from Bayonne in February. The ship repositioned from Galveston in May.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, gqboy1 said:

Do you call for a ride when you disembark?  or is this pickup prearranged?

We did not request a ride in Bayonne until after having disembarked, clearing immigration and customs, and standing outside at the curb. As noted, it required only a few minutes. I would not want to inconvenience drivers with the uncertainties involved, especially with immigration and customs (who knows if I get selected for complete inspection?), so usually I am most comfortable not requesting service until I am ready for it. Even in the opposite direction, while on the train to Bayonne, we will not request service to Cape Liberty Cruise Port while still on the train (it could get delayed enroute!), and we request service only once having arrived at the train station in Bayonne..

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GTJ said:

We did not request a ride in Bayonne until after having disembarked, clearing immigration and customs, and standing outside at the curb. As noted, it required only a few minutes. I would not want to inconvenience drivers with the uncertainties involved, especially with immigration and customs (who knows if I get selected for complete inspection?), so usually I am most comfortable not requesting service until I am ready for it. Even in the opposite direction, while on the train to Bayonne, we will not request service to Cape Liberty Cruise Port while still on the train (it could get delayed enroute!), and we request service only once having arrived at the train station in Bayonne..

Thanks.  That's what we are leaning towards but wasn't sure if it would be hectic with so many others disembarking on the same day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gqboy1 said:

[W]ould be hectic with so many others disembarking on the same day.

I think it will always be hectic, and the question really is whether it is manageable. There's lots of space in Bayonne, and I think it is manageable. Others, those less facile with travel or geography, or those overseeing children or adults who might wander off, might find it to be more distressing (especially if facing a time crunch, such as a short connection to a departing flight from the airport). So to some extent it depends a bit on one's ordinary comfort with travel and crowds: is travel through airports, railway stations, and bus terminals a source of distress . . . or a place to stand back, admire the architecture, and watch the people pass by?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We did this (Uber) today, successfully.  Admittedly though the ship (Anthem OTS) was only carrying around 2300 passengers, and we had cleared the US border in Boston.

We shared an Uber XL with 2 other passengers, with an intermediate stop at 1 hotel before going to the second.  I booked via the App while at the pickup spot, waited about 4-5 mins for a driver to accept, then about 10 mins for him to arrive.  Fare was about $75 (including tolls) + cash tip.  Shared between 2 couples, so no complaints at all…..

As this was our first disembarkation at Cape Liberty, and not being from the US, I was a bit unsure about how to get an economical transfer to Manhattan (I had been looking at booking a limo etc); but Uber delivered this time for us.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...