Canadian COVID tests

Sharita11

Hi everyone I am cruising in September and the Royal Caribbean site says it requires an FDA approved test. Everywhere I’ve seen says they don’t ship FDA test to Canada and I was hoping to do this via telehealth before the cruise.

how have fellow Canadians had their pre-boarding Covid test done and were they FDA approved? I have antigen tests here that are Canada health approved I’m wondering if we can use those or if I will be turned away at the port? Thank you for any help!

What province do you live in? Depending on location, you may be able to get tested at a local pharmacy for a reasonable price. Switch health sells proctored antigen tests that you can do at home. The government supplied home test kits can be used IF you do them in conjunction with an online proctoring service. Lots of info on these forums if you do a search.

• Like 1

Hi @Sharita11, welcome to Cruise Critic and the Canadian Cruisers board.

There's a wide range of possible answers to your question, so it would be helpful if you could provide a bit more information. For example, where does the cruise start? In Canada? The US? Europe? When are you arriving at the port, the day of embarkation, the day before or several days before? Also, as @mom says has already asked, in what province do you live. All of these factors have a bearing on what the possibilities and recommendations might be. 

I have read on other threads that the BTNX kits (green boxes) we all got from the government and using Azova proctored website is acceptable with other cruiselines. Thats the combo we're using to board in Vancouver in Sept hopefully RCL accepts it too. Both my husband and I have emailed Royal asking for clarification and neither of us have gotten replies.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sharita11 said:

Hi everyone I am cruising in September and the Royal Caribbean site says it requires an FDA approved test. Everywhere I’ve seen says they don’t ship FDA test to Canada and I was hoping to do this via telehealth before the cruise.

how have fellow Canadians had their pre-boarding Covid test done and were they FDA approved? I have antigen tests here that are Canada health approved I’m wondering if we can use those or if I will be turned away at the port? Thank you for any help!

You can find a test site and pre book/prepay at the pier beside your terminal. None of the Canadian test product are approved by the FDA. Even some of the accepted tests in the US are not approved by the FDA. That’s why the cruise lines offer them at the port. With loosening of testing on flights back and forth it’s wise to manage your risks before cruising. 

On 7/1/2022 at 2:51 PM, Fouremco said:

Hi @Sharita11, welcome to Cruise Critic and the Canadian Cruisers board.

There's a wide range of possible answers to your question, so it would be helpful if you could provide a bit more information. For example, where does the cruise start? In Canada? The US? Europe? When are you arriving at the port, the day of embarkation, the day before or several days before? Also, as @mom says has already asked, in what province do you live. All of these factors have a bearing on what the possibilities and recommendations might be. 

Hi Fouremco....I've been all over CVS and Walgreens sites in **** Florida for info. 

• We're driving down 4 days prior to cruise (hate the airport disasters so thinking a road trip this time). 
  • So....it seems the booking availability at Walgreens is day of...and CVS booking within 13 days. 
  • Both said results in 1 to 2 days. 
  • I suppose if we have roaming, we'll receive the results by text?  

If we need our tests done 2 days prior  to cruise at our stop off point before we arrive at Ft Lauderdale, and the pharmacy is booked up, that may jeopardize the cruise. 

I knew I'd find knowledgeable cruisers on CC who've been through this so here I am asking for help.  Sorry if this sounds confusing, because I AM confused...LOL.

57 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Hi Fouremco....I've been all over CVS and Walgreens sites in **** Florida for info. 

• We're driving down 4 days prior to cruise (hate the airport disasters so thinking a road trip this time). 
  • So....it seems the booking availability at Walgreens is day of...and CVS booking within 13 days. 
  • Both said results in 1 to 2 days. 
  • I suppose if we have roaming, we'll receive the results by text?  

If we need our tests done 2 days prior  to cruise at our stop off point before we arrive at Ft Lauderdale, and the pharmacy is booked up, that may jeopardize the cruise. 

I knew I'd find knowledgeable cruisers on CC who've been through this so here I am asking for help.  Sorry if this sounds confusing, because I AM confused...LOL.

Given the situation with flying, driving down does seem to be the best idea currently.

If you know which city you'll be staying in for the night two days prior to embarkation, try doing a search such as "covid antigen testing [name of city]". That may turn up some options with local facilities.  

As you presumably will be staying your last night in Fort Lauderdale, include it in a separate search. I believe that there has been a significant reduction in testing facilities over the last nine months or so, but there may still be some with whom you can book.

And most will send you an email with the results, so a US SIM card or daily roaming with Bell, Rogers, etc., will enable you to get your results.

In your shoes, I'd seriously consider doing a proctored self-test. There are numerous threads here (post #3 names a few) discussing different possibilities. As you can get free test kits from your local Shoppers Drug Mart or multiple other locations, you only need to book the inexpensive proctoring available through Lifecenters or Azova. You could also go with a company like Switch Health that provides both the kit and the proctoring, but at a higher cost.

I hope that helps. Don't hesitate to ask should you have further questions.

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

n your shoes, I'd seriously consider doing a proctored self-test. There are numerous threads here (post #3 names a few) discussing different possibilities. As you can get free test kits from your local Shoppers Drug Mart

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Given the situation with flying, driving down does seem to be the best idea currently.

If you know which city you'll be staying in for the night two days prior to embarkation, try doing a search such as "covid antigen testing [name of city]". That may turn up some options with local facilities.  

As you presumably will be staying your last night in Fort Lauderdale, include it in a separate search. I believe that there has been a significant reduction in testing facilities over the last nine months or so, but there may still be some with whom you can book.

And most will send you an email with the results, so a US SIM card or daily roaming with Bell, Rogers, etc., will enable you to get your results.

In your shoes, I'd seriously consider doing a proctored self-test. There are numerous threads here (post #3 names a few) discussing different possibilities. As you can get free test kits from your local Shoppers Drug Mart or multiple other locations, you only need to book the inexpensive proctoring available through Lifecenters or Azova. You could also go with a company like Switch Health that provides both the kit and the proctoring, but at a higher cost.

I hope that helps. Don't hesitate to ask should you have further questions.

Thanks....we'll be staying about 6 hours away from Ft L 2 days prior to the cruise.  Looked into the pharmacies in that area but booking only allowed that day;  our concern is that the appts may all be booked.  Also looking at Ft L as we'll be there day prior to cruise.  Same situation.  If all else failed, X has a 'port' test offered for international travellers and I think that is day of.  Wouldn't that contravene their 2 day prior rule?  The proctor test is being considered....but...if we purchase at SDM before leaving would we still be able to use it in Florida?  I'll look at post #3 for their experiences.  The entire thing is becoming a headache. 

Edited by Oceangoer2

7 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

The proctor test is being considered....but...if we purchase at SDM before leaving would we still be able to use it in Florida?  I'll look at post #3 for their experiences. 

In Ontario (and I believe in other provinces) what SDM gives out are the free government-provided rapid antigen tests. Then you only need to arrange for proctoring.

7 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

In Ontario (and I believe in other provinces) what SDM gives out are the free government-provided rapid antigen tests. Then you only need to arrange for proctoring.

Would SDM do that arranging or is that something the user looks into?  My concern is buying in Canada and proctoring in the US.  And I'm pretty sure I have a few of the 'free' tests and I didn't think they were eligible for use on X?

Edited by Oceangoer2

7 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Thanks....we'll be staying about 6 hours away from Ft L 2 days prior to the cruise.  Looked into the pharmacies in that area but booking only allowed that day;  our concern is that the appts may all be booked.  Also looking at Ft L as we'll be there day prior to cruise.  Same situation.  If all else failed, X has a 'port' test offered for international travellers and I think that is day of.  Wouldn't that contravene their 2 day prior rule?  The proctor test is being considered....but...if we purchase at SDM before leaving would we still be able to use it in Florida?  I'll look at post #3 for their experiences.  The entire thing is becoming a headache. 

Your test must be conducted within two days of boarding. So if you are sailing on a Sunday, the test can be taken on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

The home test kits handed out by SDM and others are free, no need to purchase. All you have to do is arrange for and pay for the proctoring. And yes, they are good to use in Florida. You really should read the Azova and Lifecenters threads that have all the details on how to set up the proctoring. 

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Your test must be conducted within two days of boarding. So if you are sailing on a Sunday, the test can be taken on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

The home test kits handed out by SDM and others are free, no need to purchase. All you have to do is arrange for and pay for the proctoring. And yes, they are good to use in Florida. You really should read the Azova and Lifecenters threads that have all the details on how to set up the proctoring. 

Thanks for your help...and from others on this thread.......much appreciated.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

We used our Ontario freebie “green box” tests with Azova proctoring from our hotel room in Seattle for boarding our NCL cruise in May, no problems at all.   You can book far ahead or at shorter notice, and it was really easy.  https://www.azova.com/travelvideo/

We ordered our Covid tests a couple months prior to our cruise in June on the Mariner of the Seas, at the Vancouver CVM medical at YVR. The evening before flying to Orlando, we stayed in an airport hotel and had a 4:00 appointment. The results were emailed to us in 1 hour. 

Royal Caribbean accepted this rapid test. Now we have booked more tests for our next cruise ( leaving from Vancouver) in October. I don't expect any problems for this next cruise. Cost is $80.00, and worth it for us as we are not that tech savvy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Minnitub said:

We ordered our Covid tests a couple months prior to our cruise in June on the Mariner of the Seas, at the Vancouver CVM medical at YVR. The evening before flying to Orlando, we stayed in an airport hotel and had a 4:00 appointment. The results were emailed to us in 1 hour. 

Royal Caribbean accepted this rapid test. Now we have booked more tests for our next cruise ( leaving from Vancouver) in October. I don't expect any problems for this next cruise. Cost is $80.00, and worth it for us as we are not that tech savvy.

Not sure how convenient it would be, but have you considered booking your test at the Switch Health clinic in Richmond? If you're an Aeroplan member it's $39+tax pp. We'll be doing the proctored test but will be booking them as our backup. 

It's easy to Stay and park our car in a secured lot at an airport hotel that also gives a free shuttle to and from the airport that we have our tests booked. Our returning flight after our next b2b cruises will be at YVR also, where we will be shuttled back to our hotel and vehicle. The hotel will also shuttle us to the cruise Port in Vancouver for a reasonable price. 

There is currently no "random" testing at YVR, so the line-up for booked test appointments should still be quick and easy, as was in Feb.

Is it okay to use one’s iPad to do the proctored Covid test instead of the small cell phone?  I just find it easier to see images on my iPad a whole lot easier than on the small screen of my cell phone.  Also, the iPad can stand ‘up’ alot easier than the phone. TIA

11 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

Is it okay to use one’s iPad to do the proctored Covid test instead of the small cell phone?  I just find it easier to see images on my iPad a whole lot easier than on the small screen of my cell phone.  Also, the iPad can stand ‘up’ alot easier than the phone. TIA

We’ve used our iPads with Azova without any issues.  Not sure about other companies

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

We’ve used our iPads with Azova without any issues.  Not sure about other companies

Thank you! I plan to use Azova with the green test boxes if required in Nov. i should also ask, are the green test boxes okay to use in England?  Would you know?  TIA

18 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Thank you! I plan to use Azova with the green test boxes if required in Nov. i should also ask, are the green test boxes okay to use in England?  Would you know?  TIA

No idea, but I’d assume so.  Most cruise lines accept whatever test is authorized in your home country.  They’d definitely work to get back into Canada, though.