ArriveCAN question

ewildcat7

My understanding is that an ArriveCAN has to be completed within 72 hours of arrival in Canada and again within 72 hours of boarding the ship.  For those who are flying into Canada and then going to the ship, it only needs to be done once.  We are flying in the day before the cruise.  Does this mean that I need to fill out an ArriveCAN on back-to-back days to be within 72 hours of each activity?

2 minutes ago, ewildcat7 said:

My understanding is that an ArriveCAN has to be completed within 72 hours of arrival in Canada and again within 72 hours of boarding the ship.  For those who are flying into Canada and then going to the ship, it only needs to be done once.  We are flying in the day before the cruise.  Does this mean that I need to fill out an ArriveCAN on back-to-back days to be within 72 hours of each activity?

follow-up:  I just read the following on Canada's travel website:

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

Am I interpreting correctly that a) the pre-embarkation COVID test requirement will be satisfied when I fill out the ArriveCAN to fly into Vancouver the day before the cruise and that b) a second ArriveCAN will not be required because we are on the one-way cruise to Whittier?

2 hours ago, ewildcat7 said:

follow-up:  I just read the following on Canada's travel website:

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

Am I interpreting correctly that a) the pre-embarkation COVID test requirement will be satisfied when I fill out the ArriveCAN to fly into Vancouver the day before the cruise and that b) a second ArriveCAN will not be required because we are on the one-way cruise to Whittier?

This website may help with understanding ArriveCan: COVID-19: Use ArriveCAN to enter Canada - Canada.ca .

ArriveCan is simply a documentation app - it collects a pile of information that the Cdn government wants assembled and provides a 'receipt' that you have done so. From the website: "An ArriveCAN receipt shows that you've successfully provided your information."

You still need a pre-embarkation test - ArriveCan just helps document the results once you have them from the testing company. 🍺🥌

As you realize, you will need to make an ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours prior to your flight into Canada, but the receipt issued only applies to that entry.

Whether you will need to make a second submission prior to boarding your cruise will depend on its itinerary. If it's a cruise that exits Canada and does not re-enter - for example, a cruise from Vancouver that terminates in Hawaii - there is no need to make a second submission.

On the other hand, if it exits and then re-enters Canadian waters, and then visits a Canadian port, you must make a submission within 72 hours prior to boarding. So a Vancouver - Alaska - Vancouver cruise requires a second submission. 

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If it's a cruise that exits Canada and does not re-enter - for example, a cruise from Vancouver that terminates in Hawaii - there is no need to make a second submission.

this is exactly what we are doing (except it is Alaska instead of Hawaii)

From a previous post, it seems like, although Canada doesn't require a test to arrive by air, I can use ArriveCAN to store the test results that we will be taking for the cruise.  Do I have that correct?

9 hours ago, ewildcat7 said:

this is exactly what we are doing (except it is Alaska instead of Hawaii)

From a previous post, it seems like, although Canada doesn't require a test to arrive by air, I can use ArriveCAN to store the test results that we will be taking for the cruise.  Do I have that correct?

Unlike your COVID vaccination information, there is no field within the ArriveCAN app to input test results. You will just have to show those separately at check in.

BTW, there was a new version of the app released this week for both Apple and Android. You should download it if you haven't already. Any information that you have input will be saved and available in the new release. 

11 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

We needed to fill out the ArriveCan app on each of our recent Alaska B-Bs for entry into Canada.  HAL made quite a fuss about doing this. Things may change but in May, no one looked at the receipt.

The receipt is attached to your passport.  It would be similar to receiving an electronic visa, I got an electronic visa for Australia, no one ever saw that visa as it was attached to my passport.  If you have Arrivecan done for your trip, the Canadian border services don't have to see the QR code (your receipt) as they can tell by the passport number that you have done it, the cruise ship would like to see it before you embark so they know you have done it, they don't have access to the information that the border services have.  The border services has access to the passenger manifest, they would advise the ship which passengers have not completed Arrivecan.  Arrivecan is very simple, takes all of two minutes.  

14 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

We needed to fill out the ArriveCan app on each of our recent Alaska B-Bs for entry into Canada.  HAL made quite a fuss about doing this. Things may change but in May, no one looked at the receipt.

Glad to have that confirmed; we are doing a B2B in August and the ArriveCAN rep I spoke with by phone said yes, two entries.  Point is, if you make an entry on ArriveCAN to enter Canada for the first cruise, then you leave Canada, you have to make another ArriveCAN submission to go into Canada a second time on the second cruise.  One report on a thread I saw says that HAL gives passengers a form to manually write down the number issued by ArriveCAN and turn it into HAL on the ship.  Yes, the entry is tied to our passport info for ArriveCAN records. 

Edited by 12cruise2

We are sailing round trip Seattle with a brief stop at Victoria as the only Canada port. Victoria is at the tail end of a seven day cruise.

I have installed the app. Is there anything more I need to do before boarding the ship?

14 minutes ago, trk_koa said:

We are sailing round trip Seattle with a brief stop at Victoria as the only Canada port. Victoria is at the tail end of a seven day cruise.

I have installed the app. Is there anything more I need to do before boarding the ship?

You will need to input all of your personal and trip information and make your ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours prior to boarding. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

You will need to input all of your personal and trip information and make your ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours prior to boarding. 

What do we figure 72 hours to--say a noon embarkation Seattle time, or?  what about time difference from where we live (central time) to whatever time ArriveCan is in?  What has everyone done with that?

Someone on an earlier cruise, not the Eurodam, posted this letter from HAL that showed the highlights of how to fill out the ArriveCAN form.  Here are the highlights:

You're entering Canada for Discretionary/Optional Travel

Entering by Marine

Country of Original Departure: U.S.  Date:  XX/XX/2022 (I believe this is the departure date of the cruise).

Port of Entry:  Victoria  Date of Arrival:  xx/xx/2022

Enter your phone number

Scan your passport or manually add your passport details

You will be requested to enter your vaccination data (from what I understand using a computer, I will upload a PDF of my vaccination card; whatever you do for a smartphone)(I don't believe you can manually enter the data but have to enter a PDF/photo of the card instead)

Follow the steps until you come to the Quarantine plan, then add as follows:

Street name and number:  MS Eurodam (or whatever the name of your ship is)

Apt. or Unit #:  your stateroom number

City:  Victoria

Province:  British Columbia

Postal Code:  A1A1A1

Once completed, you will receive a QR code that needs to be printed out and brought with you--note the number given you.    Or I guess saved on your smartphone--we don't use smartphones so that isn't an option for us.  I believe they send an email as well with the info on it.

For B2B, we have to do this process for each cruise; apparently we can save the vax certificate upload and other data in our ArriveCAN account so that it can be used again, making the second entry for second cruise departure and trip into Canada easier.

Edited by 12cruise2

I confirm,  you need to submit a new arrive can for every segment of travel where you will be re entering Canada. 

What is confusing is that due to the delay.  You are sometimes already in Canada when you submit your request for re entry. 

But, it is simple , fast and free to do.

10 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Someone on an earlier cruise, not the Eurodam, posted this letter from HAL that showed the highlights of how to fill out the ArriveCAN form.  Here are the highlights:

You're entering Canada for Discretionary/Optional Travel

Entering by Marine

Country of Original Departure: U.S.  Date:  XX/XX/2022 (I believe this is the departure date of the cruise).

Port of Entry:  Victoria  Date of Arrival:  xx/xx/2022

Enter your phone number

Scan your passport or manually add your passport details

You will be requested to enter your vaccination data (from what I understand using a computer, I will upload a PDF of my vaccination card; whatever you do for a smartphone)(I don't believe you can manually enter the data but have to enter a PDF/photo of the card instead)

Follow the steps until you come to the Quarantine plan, then add as follows:

Street name and number:  MS Eurodam (or whatever the name of your ship is)

Apt. or Unit #:  your stateroom number

City:  Victoria

Province:  British Columbia

Postal Code:  A1A1A1

Once completed, you will receive a QR code that needs to be printed out and brought with you--note the number given you.    Or I guess saved on your smartphone--we don't use smartphones so that isn't an option for us.  I believe they send an email as well with the info on it.

For B2B, we have to do this process for each cruise; apparently we can save the vax certificate upload and other data in our ArriveCAN account so that it can be used again, making the second entry for second cruise departure and trip into Canada easier.

Unfortunately, this is a dated letter and doesn't reflect the current app requirements. For example, there is no longer a need. to provide a quarantine plan.

Additionally, a new version was released this week for both iOS and Android. I'd always use the current version as a submission made using an older version might not be accepted. Any information that you have already entered on the older release will be saved and carried over to your update.

Thanks for the update that no quarantine info is needed.

What do we figure 72 hours to--say a noon embarkation Seattle time, or?  what about time difference from where we live (central time) to whatever time ArriveCan is in?  What has everyone done with that?

Thank you for your help.

6 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

so can I setup my ArriveCan on my computer to get a printout and also setup on iphone for showing at the port if need be?

I do not put my email on iphone nor do I print from iphone

Yes, I have the app on my iPad and iPhone.  You will use the same password on both to see the same information.  You can also complete Advance Customs Declaration on ArriveCAN and get a receipt for that on your phone.

5 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

Glad to have that confirmed; we are doing a B2B in August and the ArriveCAN rep I spoke with by phone said yes, two entries.  Point is, if you make an entry on ArriveCAN to enter Canada for the first cruise, then you leave Canada, you have to make another ArriveCAN submission to go into Canada a second time on the second cruise.  One report on a thread I saw says that HAL gives passengers a form to manually write down the number issued by ArriveCAN and turn it into HAL on the ship.  Yes, the entry is tied to our passport info for ArriveCAN records. 

HAL started asking for the receipt number in mid-May on the Koningsdam.

2 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

Thanks for the update that no quarantine info is needed.

Thank you for your help.

You need to base it on the time zone of your port of embarkation, not the time zone of the ArriveCAN servers. So if you were boarding in Vancouver, for example, there'd be a 2 hour difference  to factor in.

Of course, ArriveCAN doesn't actually know your boarding time, other than the time that you tell it. So if you were to say that you are boarding at 11:00AM when you aren't actually planning on boarding until 3:00PM, no one's the wiser.

6 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

Yes, I have the app on my iPad and iPhone.  You will use the same password on both to see the same information.  You can also complete Advance Customs Declaration on ArriveCAN and get a receipt for that on your phone.

okay thanks I guess it is just like the ship app in that you can do stuff on either phone or computer.

I guess that the receipt on the phone is stored like a photo or whatever comes in the text. If it comes in an email, I for security reasons in case phone is stolen or lost, do not use my email.

The QR code comes within the email receipt, not as an attachment.

“ArriveCAN Confirmation Receipt

This ArriveCAN receipt is confirmation that you have successfully submitted your information in ArriveCAN. You can also view your E-Receipt in the ArriveCAN mobile app or by signing in online.”

The customs declaration is likewise

Your Canada Border Services Agency Declaration details

Date and time of submission (UTC): Sat Jul 02 01:09:36 UTC 2022
Acknowledgement reference: xxxx
Airport of Arrival: Vancouver Intl Airport 1

Traveller(s):