OPINIONS NEEDED: Carnival fans who have tried "upgraded" lines. . . what is the advantage and is it worth it?

KmomChicago

@BlerkOne @UPNYGuy thanks for the MSC comments. I don’t see it rising to the top of our list, but just as none of the premium upgrades discussed in all these comments are must-haves for us, neither are any of the warnings absolute death knells including abrupt crew or too many PA announcements.

In my younger days I came close to booking a sail on the Nile on a felucca, and also considered copra boats and passenger cabins on freighters. We’re talking primitive conditions. 

I can’t truly imagine any modern cruise ship being too terrible for me. I have very simple needs and the worst ship I ever sailed, the old Scotia Prince ferry, was actually fine with me. Every actual cruise ship from Big Red Boat on up, has met my personal luxury threshold.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

. Especially when the masses are likely subsidizing to some extent, those areas.

Other way around, those suite guests are subsidizing the masses. Those suite guests are the most profitable passengers by far. In general, they spend more per square foot, and they spend more onboard, and with excursions, because on average, they have significantly more disposable income.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Well, there is some debate about that. Having part of the ship off limits for most of the passengers doesn't always sit well. Especially when the masses are likely subsidizing to some extent, those areas.

MSC also has several price points for a cabin, depending on the level of "experience" you want to pay for. You want free room service? There's a charge for that.

I suppose but I have seen the Havana areas and the price upcharge and it looks to me like they are paying for the exclusivity all by themselves. I see almost zero value, personally, to what they get for the price, but as always I defend their decision to pay it.  I felt the same about my recent Cloud9 room. I get why people like it but the perks are not things we enjoy at all. The only slight benefit was less young kiddies in the hallways.

I agree also and understand the difference in some cases is really not about class or luxury but rather more about included vs. a la carte expenses. Obviously if you want all that stuff it’s a lot easier to get it for one out-the-door package price rather than nickel and dimming your way along.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brownc424 said:

Other way around, those suite guests are subsidizing the masses. Those suite guests are the most profitable passengers by far. In general, they spend more per square foot, and they spend more onboard, and with excursions, because on average, they have significantly more disposable income.

I agree. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

With other lines, no rust on ships, no unruly passengers or kids, 100% staffed areas where they bring you a drink before you even knew you needed one. They clean your room every hour. The food in every venue would Beat Bobby Flay every time. Loungers are open by the pool at all hours of the day. Pizza lines are under a minute. And Covid is destroyed within seconds of being exposed to the rarified air on the ship.

24 times a day is a lot of room cleaning!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, brownc424 said:

Show me. Spending more per square foot does not mean they are covering the cost of dedicated square feet. But as MSC doesn't release cruise financials,???

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Show me. Spending more per square foot does not mean they are covering the cost of dedicated square feet. But as MSC doesn't release cruise financials,???

When I stayed in a suite last Christmas it was almost precisely the size of two balcony cabins but it cost more than two balcony cabins. Mom and I could have stayed as singles in two adjacent balconies and paid less. As you can probably imagine it seemed ludicrous to me and wasteful far beyond my normal maximum tolerance. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

When I stayed in a suite last Christmas it was almost precisely the size of two balcony cabins but it cost more than two balcony cabins. Mom and I could have stayed as singles in two adjacent balconies and paid less. As you can probably imagine it seemed ludicrous to me and wasteful far beyond my normal maximum tolerance. 

I can believe that, but with a ship in a ship concept there are other dedicated spaces - special restaurants for example, access to special pools, special room service, dedicated staff, etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

@BlerkOne @UPNYGuy thanks for the MSC comments. I don’t see it rising to the top of our list, but just as none of the premium upgrades discussed in all these comments are must-haves for us, neither are any of the warnings absolute death knells including abrupt crew or too many PA announcements.

In my younger days I came close to booking a sail on the Nile on a felucca, and also considered copra boats and passenger cabins on freighters. We’re talking primitive conditions. 

I can’t truly imagine any modern cruise ship being too terrible for me. I have very simple needs and the worst ship I ever sailed, the old Scotia Prince ferry, was actually fine with me. Every actual cruise ship from Big Red Boat on up, has met my personal luxury threshold.

@KmomChicago, you started this thread some #185 posts ago seeming to genuinely want information (which I have, gratefully, gotten a LOT of).  And I am not bothered or upset that you have not changed your mind that your "simple tastes" don't need or want anything but Carnival - good for you! -  but I have to wonder what of your insistence is all about.

Sure, we get that you are a 'simple gal with simple tastes'. And really proud of it.  I posted way early on that you seemed happy and you should stick with cruises you enjoy and go more often with the money you might save from "fancier" ones. I don't recall any response, or any sense that you have gotten more comfortable with what you like #185 posts later. Not enough information from many thoughtful posters to have answered your question??

But it seems that although you may have started with a genuine question, it seems to have devolved for you into repeating why you like your "simple taste cruises" (your words)  and  deriding anyone who has a different idea or taste for whatever reason.  If your point is to convince those people that they are snobs (essentially) and wasting their money not cruising the way you do, that I think mission has been accomplished. Some of us need or want something different. Or if we are curious we will try Carnival. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Rude, snobbish, customer service is reason enough for me not to sail on MSC. I hate PA announcements and that much more when in multiple languages.

to each their own. I admittedly speak to people like that myself. I get asked if I am from New York on a regular basis (without people knowing beforehand) b/c of my intolerance to wait, the fact that I walk fast (and do walk around slow people), and the fact that I can be almost knife-edge direct. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brownc424 said:

correct

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zentraveler said:

@KmomChicago, you started this thread some #185 posts ago seeming to genuinely want information (which I have, gratefully, gotten a LOT of).  And I am not bothered or upset that you have not changed your mind that your "simple tastes" don't need or want anything but Carnival - good for you! -  but I have to wonder what of your insistence is all about.

Sure, we get that you are a 'simple gal with simple tastes'. And really proud of it.  I posted way early on that you seemed happy and you should stick with cruises you enjoy and go more often with the money you might save from "fancier" ones. I don't recall any response, or any sense that you have gotten more comfortable with what you like #185 posts later. Not enough information from many thoughtful posters to have answered your question??

But it seems that although you may have started with a genuine question, it seems to have devolved for you into repeating why you like your "simple taste cruises" (your words)  and  deriding anyone who has a different idea or taste for whatever reason.  If your point is to convince those people that they are snobs (essentially) and wasting their money not cruising the way you do, that I think mission has been accomplished. Some of us need or want something different. Or if we are curious we will try Carnival. 

and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this!!! I have posted repeatedly about why I enjoy other lines, but DW and I also repeatedly cruise on carnival. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

THIS!!!!! This is why it is important for DW and I to cruise in a ship-within-a-ship on a megaship. 

NCL's Haven can be pretty loud. Those reading this thread that haven't been should know that paying thousands extra might not get you a kids free zone. 

9 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

this is how I feel about Holland America. Almost 80 days at sea with them, and have had repeated problems with them. No desire to experience any more cruises with them

I HATE HAL. Nothing but problems with sailing with them. Just wondering what issues you had with them. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

THIS!!!!! This is why it is important for DW and I to cruise in a ship-within-a-ship on a megaship. 

Havana area on the three Carnival Vista ships will get it done at an economical rate and with nobody under 12.  The Haven on NCL and the Yacht Club on MSC are viable alternatives at a much higher price point, but children are still present in each area and platinum spoon rug rats are the worst.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

disagree here. DW and I sail on MSC frequently with *zero* problems. I have yet to figure out why anybody has issues with them.

Because unless you sail in the Yacht Club, it can be a mixed bag.  The entertainment is also geared towards the European market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zentraveler said:

Thank for this post. I apologize if I am coming off as deriding anyone’s opinion. That’s the opposite of my intent. I appreciate them all, and yes, they have answered my question and I am grateful for them for sharing with all of us. This is the kind of detail that goes beyond the marketing pieces and what I hoped for.

I also apologize that I am coming across as “proud” but I appreciate that perspective, so thank you. The last thing I want to do is encourage others to be like me or suggest I think less of anyone because of what they value in their travel (or life) preferences.

I am troubled that it’s “devolved” to that point. So I apologize, and again thank everyone for contributing. 

• Like 7

On 7/3/2022 at 10:58 PM, KmomChicago said:

I have to admit, of the big 3, NCL just doesn't grab me, overall, for some reason. I would still give it a whirl if all the stars aligned, and the Breakaway class ships looks like the kind of thing we like.

The Breakaway plus ships are nice.  Have been on the Escape three times as well as the Bliss.  The Escape has Howl at the Moon, which is dueling pianos that beats out any of the piano bars in the Carnival fleet.  3 different piano players swap out every 15 minutes so it doesn't get stale.  The only bad thing is that they only have it 4/7 nights, with the other 3 being used for comedy.  But, getting their drink package for only 20 a day to cover tips is nice.

Their new ship, the Prima will be a game changer for them similar to what the Mardi Gras has done for Carnival.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:10 PM, KmomChicago said:

Good to know. Would you call it an upgrade over Carnival, back to my original question? 

I do like me a good buffet and the teen and I both really enjoy different ethnic foods. I saw the Seaside pull right up next to me (on Carnival Sensation, January 2018) in Nassau when she was brand spankin' new and she looked fabulous.

We were on the Seaside when she was new and it was in January of 2018, possibly when you saw her.  We stayed in an inside cabin the the Yacht Club, which was still relatively unknown and we got a great rate.  Now, the price has exploded and I would not pay it.  MSC is a European based line and the food was OK in the Yacht Club, but was a mixed bag elsewhere.  We're going to give them a try again next summer in July when the Meraviglia starts embarking out of Brooklyn.  Got a inside Fantastica cabin including their drink package and taxes for about 800 pp.

MSC is truly a cruise line with a tiered caste system.  First Class is the Yacht Club, second class is Aurea, third class is Fantastica and fourth class is Bella.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2022 at 10:56 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

We live in Manhattan, NYC...and only cruise out of NYC.

We are "buffet people" and nobody tops NCL. 

Carnival is strictly for convenience and value.   Entertainment also leaves a lot to be desired.

With all the above being said, like @KmomChicagoI'd like to know why I should spend a lot more for "the same product".  

Since you only cruise out of NYC, you're missing out on some better options.  The buffet on the Edge Class ships of Celebrity blow the doors off of NCL.  I've sailed on the Escape three times, and the Bliss and have future bookings on the Encore as well as 3 bookings on the Prima.  The Prima will be doing two sailings out of NYC in October, a 5 day to Bermuda on the 10th and a 12 day repo cruise to Galveston on the 15th going to Cozumel, Great Stirrup Cay and the ABC's, in case you might be interested.

The entertainment on the Excel Class on Carnival raises the bar as well, but since they will be embarking from Port Canaveral, Miami and Galveston you'll never get the chance to cruise on them unless you hop on a plane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

We were on the Seaside when she was new and it was in January of 2018, possibly when you saw her.  We stayed in an inside cabin the the Yacht Club, which was still relatively unknown and we got a great rate.  Now, the price has exploded and I would not pay it.  MSC is a European based line and the food was OK in the Yacht Club, but was a mixed bag elsewhere.  We're going to give them a try again next summer in July when the Meraviglia starts embarking out of Brooklyn.  Got a inside Fantastica cabin including their drink package and taxes for about 800 pp.

MSC is truly a cruise line with a tiered caste system.  First Class is the Yacht Club, second class is Aurea, third class is Fantastica and fourth class is Bella.

Lol caste system! I’m going to make it a point to start reading more reviews of MSC, which I started doing when they were ramping up here in the US market, but there wasn’t yet much posted and I haven’t followed up in a while to see what the passengers make of them. 

Yes I see the coming Prima looks amazing!! 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 11:29 AM, firefly333 said:

Princess and celebrity fine but nothing special. I dont like celebrity went to all inclusive and feel like I'm paying tips and drinks etc for 2. 

Celebrity now offers the non all inclusive bare bones rates on their ships.  They also have single staterooms on the Edge and Apex (16), the future builds Beyond & Ascent (32) and the older Silhouette (4).   I have to infer that your Princess sailing was many years ago out of Galveston on an older ship.  Sailed on the Discovery Princess recently and it was fabulous. And for only 40 bucks a day, which is now 50, you get their drinks package, tips and wifi included.  It of course is optional for those that like to pay bare bones rates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Since you only cruise out of NYC, you're missing out on some better options.  The buffet on the Edge Class ships of Celebrity blow the doors off of NCL.  I've sailed on the Escape three times, and the Bliss and have future bookings on the Encore as well as 3 bookings on the Prima.  The Prima will be doing two sailings out of NYC in October, a 5 day to Bermuda on the 10th and a 12 day repo cruise to Galveston on the 15th going to Cozumel, Great Stirrup Cay and the ABC's, in case you might be interested.

The entertainment on the Excel Class on Carnival raises the bar as well, but since they will be embarking from Port Canaveral, Miami and Galveston you'll never get the chance to cruise on them unless you hop on a plane.

@CruizinSusan70 you’re hitting on a huge point here regarding port of departure. 

One of my biggest “problems” with my current cruise pattern is my frustration in getting to port. It adds so much expense and stress that it impacts every other aspect of the vacation. I am just completely fed up with flying and with driving longer than about 4 hours. Seems like I’m exhausted and crabby at least the first full day of the cruise and then I get home exhausted and crabby from traveling back.

I have work colleagues in Philadelphia and I can’t understand why they fly to Florida for vacations when they could cruise practically from their backyard!!  I know, they do it because they’re not me and they want something different!! 😂

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 11:39 PM, Badfinger said:

But I guess we could consider Carnival the "muni" of the cruise industry.  At least based upon our cruise last month.  Worst.  Cruise. Ever.

Why are you wasting your time posting on the Carnival boards if your cruise last month was the worst one you ever took?   But, since you opened the can of worms, which ship was it and what exactly happened to make it the worst you ever took?

• Like 1