Need Excursion recommendations

legalbeagle2

We will be on the Princess Ruby 10 night from San Francisco to Alaska on July 29. We are traveling with two teenagers, and are rather fit and can partake on some moderate to strenuous activities. Can anyone suggest any private excursions in Juneau, Ketchikan and Haines? Or have anyone done any of the Princess excursions and would recommend?

Edited by legalbeagle2

In order to recommend excursions, would need to know your interests.

Just note that for cruising on July 29, you might be too late in booking excursions. Many of the operators went under due to the pandemic so pickings are slim to begin with. Even the cruise lines are being forced to cancel their excursions due to lack of availability.

If you don't do the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour in Ketchikan, you are crazy.   BEST EXCURSION I've ever been a part of in 15 years cruising.  The teens will love it too!!   My review  Trip Report w/Pics HAL Alaska June 19-26, 2022 Seattle Roundtrip Westerdam - Holland America Line - Cruise Critic Community  has pictures and some info on it - I left some pretty cool stuff out because it should be a surprise for everyone.  It will put a dent in your pocketbook. 

Note - voted #1 Excursion on Disney, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Princess since it started.  Voted Top Ten WorldWide on HAL since it started. 

Edited by CupKayke
  • Like 5

Juneau - Whale Watch & Mendenhall Glacier Combo with Juneau Whale Watch. They do the whale watch first before going to the Glacier and give you flexible time to stay at the Glacier as long as you choose, with buses returning every 30 minutes. This gives you time to do the hike to nugget Falls or other hikes at the glacier. Just make sure you know when the last bus leaves and allow at least an hour to catch the bus and get back to your ship prior to the all aboard time.

Haines - Rent a car and go to the Kroschel Wildlife Center, have lunch at 33 Mile Road House on the Haines Hwy, go to Chilkoot Lake and Chilkat State Parks for a good chance to see bears, moose and eagles. 

Ketchikan - Either the Deadliest Catch tour or a kayak tour with Southeast Kayaks. Ketchikan is easily walkable. If you have additional time, pick up a walking tour map at the visitor center and see Creek Street, Married Man’s Trail, the Fish Ladder and more. 

We booked the Bering Sea Tour a long time ago for our September cruise. We've done this one twice before and booked directly with them...however...surprise...for this cruise booking through RCI was less expensive.

We're also trying to book Gold Rush Dog Tour in Juneau and have been since December..on a wait list can't believe how fast this company booked up.

Actually, the ships all offer different excursions to see the whales.  We booked through HAL (not Princess, however) and our boat was tiny.  The excursion was a small group excursion limited to 20 people and we barely fit on the tiny boat.  You could reach and touch the water if you wanted.  Saw plenty of whales 

IMG_1268.JPEG

IMG_E1306.JPG

We were at the back of the boat.  ALL the windows opened wide...

IMG_1167.JPEG

IMG_1240.JPEG

Edited by CupKayke

8 hours ago, CupKayke said:

If you don't do the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour in Ketchikan, you are crazy.   BEST EXCURSION I've ever been a part of in 15 years cruising.  The teens will love it too!!   My review  Trip Report w/Pics HAL Alaska June 19-26, 2022 Seattle Roundtrip Westerdam - Holland America Line - Cruise Critic Community  has pictures and some info on it - I left some pretty cool stuff out because it should be a surprise for everyone.  It will put a dent in your pocketbook. 

Note - voted #1 Excursion on Disney, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Princess since it started.  Voted Top Ten WorldWide on HAL since it started. 

Is the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour that you mention the same as Local Connections: Deadliest Catch Crab Fishermen's Tour Created By Captain David Lethin? Currently it is priced at $209.95 with Princess.

• Like 1

Another option that isn’t mentioned much but exceptional is hiking the West Glacier Trail in Juneau. Transportation is needed as the trailhead is across the lake from the Mendenhall Visitor Center. It gives some incredible views from above the glacier and if you hike up far enough, you can see the tour helicopters landing on the glacier from above. It would also be a cheap excursion as all you’d need is a cab ride there and back.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/alaska/west-glacier-trail

10 hours ago, CupKayke said:

Book directly through their website (Bering Sea Crab's website) was the exact same price as booking with HAL.  

I have noticed in the past that pricing is about the same as the ship's excursions for alot of tours.  We generally do the ship ones for the convenience and spending credits.  

For Haines, I like the Eagle Preserve Float Tour the best.   Might not be available through the ship.  

For Juneau, a combined Mendenhall+Whale Watching trip is basically the go-to tour.  If you've never been to Juneau & never done it before, just do that.   You can shop & there are other things to do, but for your first trip to Juneau I don't think it is really necessary to shop.

10 hours ago, legalbeagle2 said:

Is the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour that you mention the same as Local Connections: Deadliest Catch Crab Fishermen's Tour Created By Captain David Lethin? Currently it is priced at $209.95 with Princess.

Yes

• Thanks 1

We have teenagers and went on an Alaskan cruise in May.  In Juneau, we went to the dog sled camp.  Our teenagers really enjoyed it.  Our other ports were different from yours and some of our excursions were changed.  We like the active excursions so sitting by and watching for whales isn't something our kids would do.  We did take them zip lining in Skagway which was a blast.  We were supposed to go kayaking in Ketchikan but our itinerary changed and we didn't make it there.