Apple Airtags

talljules1

12 hours ago, Kelownadon said:

The information below suggests to me that if I put an AirTag into my car or a piece of my luggage and somebody steals it, the AirTag will let the thief know that their privacy is being invaded at some point if they have an iPhone. Read “AirTag is designed to discourage tracking” Am I wrong in thinking this as it appears to go against what I thought the AirTag would be good for ie. finding my car or luggage after it was stolen. 

They only do that if the are following an individual (not the owner) over an extended period of time.    It is not an immediate notification. 

25 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

They only do that if the are following an individual (not the owner) over an extended period of time.    It is not an immediate notification. 

Thank you for the clarification. I will leave my AirTags in my car and luggage. I will just have to act fast if they are stolen haha. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was looking after our grandson, for a week,  I took a train to Ottawa, and was using my son  car, on about the 2-3 day I got notification that I was been tracked , it showed all the places i visited with his car 😁

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I was looking after our grandson, for a week,  I took a train to Ottawa, and was using my son  car, on about the 2-3 day I got notification that I was been tracked , it showed all the places i visited with his car 😁

So who owned the airtag? You or your son? Did you get the notification on your phone that you were being tracked because your son had an airtag in his car? Not clear at all what was going on here. 

1 hour ago, Kelownadon said:

So who owned the airtag? You or your son? Did you get the notification on your phone that you were being tracked because your son had an airtag in his car? Not clear at all what was going on here. 

My son has an AirTag in his car , I got notification from Apple that an AirTag was tracking me 

I wish I took a screenshot to get the correct wording 

13 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

My son has an AirTag in his car , I got notification from Apple that an AirTag was tracking me 

I wish I took a screenshot to get the correct wording 

Google is your friend!

image.thumb.png.86b217d5ed33796028fffba702ab728b.png

I was curious about this so googled...

How long before AirTag notifies you are being tracked?

At first, it used to take eight to 24 hours to get alerted about an unknown AirTag. Now it takes just 15 minutes for you to receive a notification that an AirTag/unknown device is moving with you and that the owner of it can see your location.Nov 29, 2022
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was curious about this so googled...

How long before AirTag notifies you are being tracked?

At first, it used to take eight to 24 hours to get alerted about an unknown AirTag. Now it takes just 15 minutes for you to receive a notification that an AirTag/unknown device is moving with you and that the owner of it can see your location.Nov 29, 2022

Apple hasn't listed a specific range, yet it's all Bluetooth based so the consensus is a max of 30' if unobstructed

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Google is your friend!

image.thumb.png.86b217d5ed33796028fffba702ab728b.png

A few weeks ago, my stepdaughter called in a panic that, while driving, that notification popped up on her phone.  She was (understandably) very freaked out.  She has two small children and was in a panic.  They scoured her car and found nothing.  Finally, they opened the baby stroller and found that my wife (her mom) had left her wallet in a pocket in the stroller earlier that day (she keeps one in her wallet).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Looks like I will leave the airtag in my car and hope that the thief has an android phone so I might still get lucky and be able to track it down if it gets stolen. Otherwise I will have to act really fast haha.

On 6/19/2024 at 2:37 AM, NMTraveller said:

Another Airtag idea.  I think that I will Airtag my golf cart.😁

Thanks for the reminder to get more. We will be doing a couple of Perry Golf cruises with my dad and brother next year. I think I’ll get tags for everyone’s golf bags. 

Edited by MamaFej
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Thanks for the reminder to get more. We will be doing a couple of Perry Golf cruises with my dad and brother next year. I think I’ll get tags for everyone’s golf bags. 

Amazon has them on a pre prime day sale right now. 20% off for a 4 pack. The single price is also discounted. 

• Like 1