Solo on Summit - Aqua Class or Retreat?

Wallys_World

I've read the posts comparing AQ to the Retreat, but haven't been able to find much information about solo travel in each category. I'm planning my first solo cruise (thank you @GenerationX and @JamieLogical for the inspiration!!) on Summit later this year and would welcome any advice in choosing a cabin/class. I'm trying to decide between cabin 9050 (Aqua) and 6119 (Retreat). The sky suite is $700 more. I enjoy spending time on the balcony and 6119 appears to be right above the lifeboats, which makes me lean toward 9050. Alternatively, I don't know if I'll get another opportunity to experience a suite on Celebrity at such a good price. Is there anything else I should consider as a solo traveler? Thanks in advance for any input!

Make sure you see what is over 9050. There can be noise from the Ocean View cafe and fitness center. I would hate noise more than life boats. The Aqua class benefits are not great on M class ships. The thermal suite is a bench not loungers. I have had both Blu and Luminae and I enjoyed Luminae more. The personal attention you get in a suite is nice but only you can decide if it is worth the extra money. 

I love celebrity suite class, Luminae is a excellent restaurant with great service and food, you also have a suite lounge called the retreat with drinks all day , concierge who is on the suite lounge can really help with any issues you may have. There also is a small outdoor area with a hot tub again called the retreat. 

I've done a couple of solo cruises in the Retreat (one on Summit and one on Millennium), and I loved it. Luminae, the lounge, and the Retreat "activities" such as sailaways and the officers meet-up are a good way to meet folks if you like that. It's also great to have a Personal Retreat Host. 

• Like 1

We have stayed in 6119 and the balconies are small and the lifeboats and davits obstruct some of the view. If you book 6125, 6126  or higher the balconies are a bit larger.  

We love Aqua particularly for Blu.  We go back and forth between AQ and the Retreat. Maybe just coincidence but we have met and became friendly with more people when dining in Blu than Luminae. 

I posted a lot about my B2B back in November where I was in a Sky Suite for 5 days and then an Aqua Class for 4 days. I think for a 700 difference, I *might* do the Retreat again, but only because that includes OBC, Premium Drinks, and Premium WiFi. I don't think the difference in rooms and Luminae vs. Blu would justify a $700 difference.

6 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I posted a lot about my B2B back in November where I was in a Sky Suite for 5 days and then an Aqua Class for 4 days. I think for a 700 difference, I *might* do the Retreat again, but only because that includes OBC, Premium Drinks, and Premium WiFi. I don't think the difference in rooms and Luminae vs. Blu would justify a $700 difference.

Thank you for reminding me about your review. It was one of the reasons I started thinking about a solo trip and I'm not sure why I didn't remember that you had been in both classes. Oddly enough, I did remember your description of the clingy shower curtain, probably because that is one of my pet peeves. I was leaning toward Aqua because of the sky suite's small balcony (thank you for the info jelayne) and your observations sealed the deal. Aqua it is!

1 hour ago, bnurick said:

The Retreat.  An easy one for me...

LOL - that wouldn't have anything to do with your awesome trip to Bermuda, would it? Maybe I'll be able to use some of the money I save by booking Aqua to do the Chef's Table or Veuve dinner. Both looked amazing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wallys_World said:

LOL - that wouldn't have anything to do with your awesome trip to Bermuda, would it? Maybe I'll be able to use some of the money I save by booking Aqua to do the Chef's Table or Veuve dinner. Both looked amazing!

That’s what you use your OBC for! 😂