QUESTIONS ABOUT ARRIVING DAYS ONLY ON HOTEL WITH PRINCESS

rabin1

On 7/6/2022 at 11:00 PM, rabin1 said:

Another question?

I am flying direct on Delta FLL to LAX. I am staying at the Hilton. I do not want to have to deal with any of the stuff you guys are discussing. Does anyone know of a car service that will help me with the luggage and take me to the hotel? I don't want to take the transfers from Princess even though I paid for them. Also will figure out a way to the pier not on Princess bus or whatever they use.

Thank you all for the great info.

Kathy

We've used PrimeTime (SuperShuttle does the same, but never used them) to get from our home to LAX & LAX to home. Don't book the multi-stop van, book the private cars. They're very nice (usually a Town Car). The driver loads your luggage & usually provides bottled water. Drops off at the appropriate terminal and picks you up at the appropriate terminal (altho' one time the driver couldn't find it and we had to find him - total FUBAR). They keep in touch with you by cell phone with ETA, get your description and where you're standing.

The best part is it usually only costs $20-30 more than the shuttle van.  Well worth it.

1 hour ago, rabin1 said:

Please everyone reading this if you possibly can answer my question about the hotel I would appreciate it.

We've stayed at Crowne Plaza. Didn't like it for multiple reasons.

Usually stay at DoubleTree. There's a shuttle that will take you around in a 6 mile radius (IIRC), a restaurant and the shuttle takes you to the port and picks you up again (if you're staying post cruise). Never had a problem at DT and often get an upgraded room at no charge.

10 hours ago, rabin1 said:

New question. I used the CC recommendation for the car service. Very nice company. I don't really like the buses etc I want my own help which they are doing. The reason I am going early is I want to do something in LA the Saturday before getting on ship. Maybe even Friday since I am getting in at 10.

Princess has me at the Hilton Long Beach. I have been reading a lot of bad reviews about old and dirty. Anyone know anything about that?? Crowne Plaza looks better. I am going to try to get tickets for a TV show or go to one of the parks. I have done that before so not sure what I will do. I just don't like old and dirty. I can get the car service to take me to the port on Sunday so please give me some suggestions. Not about the expense. I am more into easy. Should I stay downtown or near downtown. Last time I stayed there was at the I think it is a Marriott attached to the place where they have the Oscars. I was there for a week. I don't want to call the PVP yet to change transfers and hotels until I know what I am doing. I already am paid and the cruise isn't until December. Please help me find something.

Thanks

Ms Pickie

Kathy

Kathy, if you narrow your interest down, it might be easier to find you a city to stay in before the cruise.  I am not a Los Angeles kind of person, but there is the theater district.  Also a visit to the Shuttle Endeavor is always a fun exhibit.  A walk around Japan Town is a delight to the senses.  

Long Beach has the Aquarium of the Pacific.  Not as good as the Monterey Bay Aquarium or Georgia Aquarium.  But you can easily take the rail up to LA.

Staying near the port has its purpose (close to ship), but much harder to do anything outside of the area.  There's Cabrillo Museum/tide pools, Korean Bell, Sea Mammal rescue center, Fort something.

Good luck finalizing this part of your trip.

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

As for hotels I highly recommend the Queen Mary in Long Beach. If you’re interested in the history of ocean liners it won’t disappoint. 

I've stayed on the Queen Mary.  It was an excellent experience.  Unfortunately, she has fallen into disrepair and the city is working on her structural damage.  She is closed until further notice.  OP has mentioned that she doesn't like "old".

48 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Kathy, if you narrow your interest down, it might be easier to find you a city to stay in before the cruise.  I am not a Los Angeles kind of person, but there is the theater district.  Also a visit to the Shuttle Endeavor is always a fun exhibit.  A walk around Japan Town is a delight to the senses.  

Long Beach has the Aquarium of the Pacific.  Not as good as the Monterey Bay Aquarium or Georgia Aquarium.  But you can easily take the rail up to LA.

Staying near the port has its purpose (close to ship), but much harder to do anything outside of the area.  There's Cabrillo Museum/tide pools, Korean Bell, Sea Mammal rescue center, Fort something.

Good luck finalizing this part of your trip.

I've stayed on the Queen Mary.  It was an excellent experience.  Unfortunately, she has fallen into disrepair and the city is working on her structural damage.  She is closed until further notice.  OP has mentioned that she doesn't like "old".

Thank you.  Yes I know Queen Mary is closed. If I could make up my mind as you said what I want to do it might be helpful. The last time I was there for over a week I did all the touristy things. That is why I am having so much trouble. I am going to look at the hotel attached to where they do the Oscars. I stayed there the last time. I think what you said is why I do not want to stay in San Pedto and I am not adversed to hiring a car service  from hotel to pier. 

Thank you for your kindness and advice.

Kathy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Oh that’s disappointing….hopefully they’ll finish her repairs soon.  I really enjoyed not only staying there but touring the engine room and the other inner workings of the ship. If memory serves you could even view the propeller during the tour.  As for the OP not liking “old” I guess I figured fans of cruising would make a concession for something historically significant to cruise ships. 

3 hours ago, dog said:

I have first- hand experience staying at these two hotels & highly recommend both:

Beverly Wilshire

Hotel Bel Aire

Thank you very much will check them out

Kathy

1 hour ago, rabin1 said:

Thank you very much will check them out

Kathy

I stayed 3 days at Long  Beach Hilton. Booked executive- no lounge there, 2 free drinks.

And earthquake damage to rooftop pool, not told until check in.

breakfast buffet was ok.

We had car, but not a good location to walk to main sites.

do not recommend this one.

Edited by dog
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Thank you.  Yes I know Queen Mary is closed. If I could make up my mind as you said what I want to do it might be helpful. The last time I was there for over a week I did all the touristy things. That is why I am having so much trouble. I am going to look at the hotel attached to where they do the Oscars. I stayed there the last time. I think what you said is why I do not want to stay in San Pedto and I am not adversed to hiring a car service  from hotel to pier. 

Thank you for your kindness and advice.

Kathy

The Oscars are at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood.If you really enjoy the Oscars and awards, I would recommend you go to the very new Motion Picture Academy Museum at mid-Wiltshire. It is supposed to be outstanding if you enjoy the Academy Awards and motion picture history and exhibits.

• Like 1

Does anyone know anything about the Westin in San Pedro? It looks pretty good and close anything I decide I want to do if I ever make up my mind.

Thanks

Kathy

5 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Does anyone know anything about the Westin in San Pedro? It looks pretty good and close anything I decide I want to do if I ever make up my mind.

Thanks

Kathy

I think the Westin is in Long Beach, not San Pedro. I looked into staying there, but did not.

6 hours ago, dog said:

I think the Westin is in Long Beach, not San Pedro. I looked into staying there, but did not.

GRRRRR I liked it and the Renaissance. I don't care if I have to get the car service I just want a nice hotel.

I can't  find ANY good reviews on the Hilton where Princess put me. Since I am going a few days  early I want to be happy.

Thank you for your advice

Kathy

A nice area is Santa Monica. Right in the beach by the Farris wheel. Nice walkable area. Lowe’s, Shutters on the Beach hotels , I have tried to stay there but usually sold out.

51 minutes ago, dog said:

My friend from Long Beach recommended the 2 Hyatts- close to shops& hotel Maya- a bit away from shops/ restaurants. Maya was a Hilton.

Your friend from what I can find out is 100% correct. I did research and they are both number 1 &2 ranked. I think I made my choice. Thank you and your friend very very much. Now if I can only figure out what I want to do after I arrive on Friday and all day Saturday I will be good to go. I have the whole cruise paid for, excursions booked, specialty restaurants booked so I am almost ready to get this party started.

Again thank you and your friend very much

Blessings

Kathy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rabin1 said:

Your friend from what I can find out is 100% correct. I did research and they are both number 1 &2 ranked. I think I made my choice. Thank you and your friend very very much. Now if I can only figure out what I want to do after I arrive on Friday and all day Saturday I will be good to go. I have the whole cruise paid for, excursions booked, specialty restaurants booked so I am almost ready to get this party started.

Again thank you and your friend very much

Blessings

Kathy

Thank you all very very much. I booked the Hyatt Regency in Long Beach. Now I have to call my PVP and get my money back for what I paid them for the Hilton.

Blessings to all of you

Kathy

• Like 1

oops...sorry, I should have thought of this earlier.  I hope your cruise isn't around Easter.  There is a car race that closes down Long Beach shoreline.  Don't know your or their specific dates.  

What can you do?  

Aquarium

Belmont Shores

Terrace Theater/Center Theater

Long Beach Harbor (free) tour

Catalina Express Shuttle (best to do in the summer/early fall).  The island closes up after that.

And more....

13 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

oops...sorry, I should have thought of this earlier.  I hope your cruise isn't around Easter.  There is a car race that closes down Long Beach shoreline.  Don't know your or their specific dates.  

What can you do?  

Aquarium

Belmont Shores

Terrace Theater/Center Theater

Long Beach Harbor (free) tour

Catalina Express Shuttle (best to do in the summer/early fall).  The island closes up after that.

And more....

Hi

Cruise is December. I will be in Long Beach the 16th and 17th cruise leaves on the 18th. I want to check out the theater. I love the arts especially Broadway. I have season tickets down here in Ft. Lauderdale.

Since I live down here and most cruises leave from Port Everglades anything I can ever do for all of you let me know

Kathy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phabric said:

Rabin1  -  Did the car service say where they meet you - outside baggage area, or  curb side with a sign?

I asked them if they would come in and help me with the luggage and they said yes but charge a little more. They were very nice. It is a little over a $100 for them to come inside.

Kathy ( Rabin was my doggie.........lol)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rabin1 said:

I asked them if they would come in and help me with the luggage and they said yes but charge a little more. They were very nice. It is a little over a $100 for them to come inside.

Kathy ( Rabin was my doggie.........lol)

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 7:03 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Sorry to "hijack" the thread...but our group of 6 is about to do this in Seattle.  We've booked w/Princess a hotel 1 night before and after the cruise.  Do we *have* to set luggage out in the hallway pre-cruise?  Can we not just self-carry it down in the morning to meet the bus to the ship?

What hotel are you staying at?

Tom

On 7/8/2022 at 9:44 AM, Mflem1278 said:

Our experience has been you put your large luggage by your room door (inside, not out in the hall) and they come and pick it up mid-morning. The exact time is in the information packet they give you at check-in. They take it to one of the "ballroom/conference room" areas of the hotel and you later go down and identify it as yours so all luggage is accounted for and gets on the correct bus.  All the luggage (except what you choose to carry on the bus) is loaded under the bus.  You don't see your large luggage again until in your cabin.  Now if you have a carry-on that you can put on your lap (I personally have a backpack) or squeeze it into the tiny compartment above your bus seat then yes of course you can keep it with you.  I always keep my carry-on with me but again, my carry on is a backpack. 

I don't know why it is that way, but that is the way Princess has done it on all 14 cruises that I have been on.   So I guess I didn't really answer your question, just telling you what my experience has been.

At the hotels in Seattle, the bags are collected from inside the rooms by the hotel staff, taken down to the back of the hotel and after the Princess reps double check the bags, they are loaded onto a truck where they are taken to the pier and loaded onto the ship. They're transported separately from the passengers.

Tom

7 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Westin

"Do we *have* to set luggage out in the hallway pre-cruise?  Can we not just self-carry it down in the morning to meet the bus to the ship?" 

I don't believe that the procedures at the Westin have you set your bags outside your room. I believe that they process their bags the same way we do at the DoubleTree: have then inside the room close to the door and with your Princess tags already on them & the hotel staff will pick up the tagged bags and take them down to the truck that will take them to the pier and load them onto the ship. Make sure that you read the Princess letter that the hotel should give you when you check in. It will tell you where to be and what time to be there on debarkation day at the hotel. 

Yes, you can take your bags onto the bus with you, but to what advantage?  Let the bags be collected and transported by the staff and not have to worry about them! You are on a cruise.  Relax & enjoy yourselves! All you need to do is make sure that all of your travel & medical documents stay with you because you will need them at the pier to complete your processing!!

Tom