Norwegian cruise line (Norwegian Jewel)

We have cruised P&O Australia, Princess, Cunard, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, there is a cruise on Norwegian Jewel, never been with this cruise line, thoughts from people who have been on Norwegian vs. Princess cruise line.  It will be a 26 night cruise from Seattle to Japan.

We have cruised on Jewel & sister Pearl. Hard to compare directly, but I think the general vibe is closer to Royal than the others.

We cruised in mini-suites on both, and found them to be nice, but very compact for that grade of cabin. If you like fixed dining, NCL doesn't really cater for it. The various restaurants are good, and it works well to mix and match where you dine each night. If there is a restaurant you prefer, it is easy enough to lock in same table - same time for the following night.

Public areas are a bit more contemporary than Princess. The ship has a relaxed feel, and we used to love an afternoon drink each day at the aft bar. I can't recall much about the entertainment, good or bad.

Sounds like an awesome cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I looked at the possibility of an NCL cruise but the prices seemed astronomical. The fares do include beverages, specialty dining, shore excursion credits, and wifi but those are all things that we typically don’t use. So NCL doesn’t appear to offer great value for us. YMMV

We have cruised NCL numerous times and have another 4 booked, I agree about the style being more like Royal than others but I think that some of the entertainment  is much better. We have seen several  music stage shows on board, one was Prisilla Queen of the desert. Freestyle dining is great but if you prefer traditional  than just book the same time in the same restaurant each night.

I am sure you will love it if you decide to book.

Cheers

• Like 3

On 7/8/2022 at 10:30 PM, subaru94 said:

We have cruised P&O Australia, Princess, Cunard, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, there is a cruise on Norwegian Jewel, never been with this cruise line, thoughts from people who have been on Norwegian vs. Princess cruise line.  It will be a 26 night cruise from Seattle to Japan.

We have cruised four times with NCL, twice on Jade and same on Jewel.  Each time we've splurged on The Haven, and haven't regretted it one bit.  We were looked after wonderfully, without being pampered in a cloying way.  We loved the space, and the entertainment was superb.  Wouldn't hesitate to cruise again with Norwegian, but possibly not always in The Haven😜

• Like 1

We have mainly cruised Princess, think it and Celebrity (3 to date) are very similar, have done one on NCL Jewel and wouldn’t hesitate to do so again. Have done Cunard, P&O, RCCL too. We enjoyed some parts of Norwegian Freestyle (mainly the range of restaurants to choose from) not some others (mainly that sometimes if you decided on that nights restaurant Lateish there would be some lengthy waits).

NCL is probably a by mor modern that Princess, but then we prefer Wood and Brass to Chrome and Glass. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

NCL is probably a by mor modern that Princess, but then we prefer Wood and Brass to Chrome and Glass. 

That’s why we really love Oceania, Seabourn and Silversea, but The Haven on NCL offers that same tranquil, mellowed ambience.  It’s just not evident throughout the vessel, as enjoyed on these lines I’ve mentioned above.  We’ll be sailing with Cunard for the first time in October, so it will be interesting to compare.  

We travelled on NCL Jewel just prior to the great shutdown.  We stayed in a suite so had access to the Haven facilities.  We enjoyed eating in the suite restaurant for breakfast and lunch and received great service from the concierge.  I did not like the Haven pool area though.  I think there is a big difference between ships that are designed to include the Haven and those that have been retrofitted as this was.  The pool was small and the area around it feel very enclosed and claustrophobic.  We went to the Officer's cocktail party in the Haven and had an awful time.  When we have been to similar events on Celebrity, the crew circulated amongst the passengers and made conversation.  This lot gave the impression that the passengers were beneath their contempt and huddled in their own group (including the Captain).  We got out of their as fast as we could and didn't go back.

The cruise itself was pleasant but overall I prefer the food and service on Celebrity.  

On 7/8/2022 at 8:30 PM, subaru94 said:

I have cruised on most of the brands, and twice on Jewel.  Remember it is having a multi million dollar refit.  I prefer NCL to Princess, mainly because there is no variation to Princess ships.  Which is a plus for many cruisers.  Jewel used to be Star Ship Leo.  It is smaller than the average mass market ships and has a really nice layout.  Lots of terraces aft, going down several decks.  My friend and I were in an inside cabin on B2B cruises, but had a fantastic time.  Usually I would prefer ocean view or balcony.

NCL Jewel is a well-loved ship, which is why NCL hasn't sold it off.  Very popular due to the layout.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I have cruised on most of the brands, and twice on Jewel.  Remember it is having a multi million dollar refit.  I prefer NCL to Princess, mainly because there is no variation to Princess ships.  Which is a plus for many cruisers.  Jewel used to be Star Ship Leo.  It is smaller than the average mass market ships and has a really nice layout.  Lots of terraces aft, going down several decks.  My friend and I were in an inside cabin on B2B cruises, but had a fantastic time.  Usually I would prefer ocean view or balcony.

NCL Jewel is a well-loved ship, which is why NCL hasn't sold it off.  Very popular due to the layout.

Ignore everything.  I had the wrong ship - it is Norwegian Spirit that I was talking about in my post.  Too late to edit and delete.

I have been on Jewel twice though, and enjoyed the NCL experience.  Liked the ship.  Ocean view cabin on the same deck as the sports bar/casual restaurant. Great to pop along to for a drink at any hour.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Port Power said:

Ignore everything.  I had the wrong ship - it is Norwegian Spirit that I was talking about in my post.  Too late to edit and delete.

I have been on Jewel twice though, and enjoyed the NCL experience.  Liked the ship.  Ocean view cabin on the same deck as the sports bar/casual restaurant. Great to pop along to for a drink at any hour.

I’m so relieved.  Jewel is indeed a handsome ship, easy to navigate (not literally) and the spaces in The Haven are beautiful.  We also loved the private dining room for breakfast, and the enclosed outdoor terrace for breakfast or lunch, which a waiter would bring you freshly prepared from a delightful menu.  The other wonderful perk is the reserved box seating in the theatre, with your Concierge waiting to greet you as you arrive after dinner.  It all comes at a cost, of course, but little more than a balcony suite on Seabourn, etc.  Jewel’s other areas may not be quite as plush and secluded, but they are also comfortable and lovely.  The bars are relaxing social venues, and the alternate eating venues are welcoming and enjoyable.  Teppanyaki experience a must.  Not long before Covid drained the seas if cruise ships, we sailed to Iceland and the remote Scottish islands on Jewel.  She handled the odd heavy seas beautifully.  I’m tempted now to investigate where Jewel is heading next year😉

5 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I’m so relieved.  Jewel is indeed a handsome ship, easy to navigate (not literally) and the spaces in The Haven are beautiful.  We also loved the private dining room for breakfast, and the enclosed outdoor terrace for breakfast or lunch, which a waiter would bring you freshly prepared from a delightful menu.  The other wonderful perk is the reserved box seating in the theatre, with your Concierge waiting to greet you as you arrive after dinner.  It all comes at a cost, of course, but little more than a balcony suite on Seabourn, etc.  Jewel’s other areas may not be quite as plush and secluded, but they are also comfortable and lovely.  The bars are relaxing social venues, and the alternate eating venues are welcoming and enjoyable.  Teppanyaki experience a must.  Not long before Covid drained the seas if cruise ships, we sailed to Iceland and the remote Scottish islands on Jewel.  She handled the odd heavy seas beautifully.  I’m tempted now to investigate where Jewel is heading next year😉

It's all coming back now!  My son and I also enjoyed breakfast in Moderno.  We did occasionally go to O'Sheehan's for a change, but the choice in Moderno was excellent, as well as being fewer guests there.  When we cruised through the Sounds, we were up on Haven's top deck for a wonderful view.  The crew set up a drinks station for the duration: coffee and hot chocolate as well as soft drinks, sparkling wine and beer. Having the reserved area in the theatre was really good.  Very good seats.  Yes, we really enjoyed the Jewel.

Even without the suite experience, Jewel was a lovely ship with plenty of activities.  Staff were excellent.  @subaru94, enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

It's all coming back now!  My son and I also enjoyed breakfast in Moderno.  We did occasionally go to O'Sheehan's for a change, but the choice in Moderno was excellent, as well as being fewer guests there.  When we cruised through the Sounds, we were up on Haven's top deck for a wonderful view.  The crew set up a drinks station for the duration: coffee and hot chocolate as well as soft drinks, sparkling wine and beer. Having the reserved area in the theatre was really good.  Very good seats.  Yes, we really enjoyed the Jewel.

Even without the suite experience, Jewel was a lovely ship with plenty of activities.  Staff were excellent.  @subaru94, enjoy your cruise.

Ditto to that @subaru94