Live - Gem 10th July 2022 from Venice (Trieste).

ziggyuk

How was the Caesar? Meant to try this on last cruise but somehow didn't get round to it. 

Glad to see there were shuttle buses, it seems that NCL has either been ousted from the city centre cruise terminal or have opted for a cheaper spot.  In any case, I know we're not the only folk who chose our Trieste hotel based on its proximity to the terminal!

're drinks, I enjoyed the sustainable cocktails on the Jade, if the Gem is also doing these I'd recommend - they're generally less sweet than some of the regular cocktails.  If you don't have an aversion to bourbon cocktails I'd highly recommend the BlackBerry Bourbon Smash (Maltings). They tend to run out of blackberries so don't dally if you're interested.

7 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

OK so we are on the train to the port after a bad night.

It's history now but our flight was delayed and the hotel refused a late check in so we were left with no hotel and hotels.com were useless.

No harm, we managed to find a new hotel, not great but a bed for the night and all is fine today.

Just a bit of a panic yesterday, In the past I have found hotels.com very good but yesterday, I only needed a hotel and was happy to pay again but they did not want to help.

Oh well past history not to dwell on further, logged in the brain cells for further bookings.

About half an hour from the ports. 🍾🎉

Can you identify the hotel that refused to let you in?  I want to make sure we never get a reservation there.  On our first trip to Venice, the flight into Rome was several hours late, then there were delays with the train to Venice.  We finally arrived around 2:00 AM.  The hotel greeted us warmly and actually apologized to us for the lack of staff to assist us so late at night.

27 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Can you identify the hotel that refused to let you in?  I want to make sure we never get a reservation there.  On our first trip to Venice, the flight into Rome was several hours late, then there were delays with the train to Venice.  We finally arrived around 2:00 AM.  The hotel greeted us warmly and actually apologized to us for the lack of staff to assist us so late at night.

It was a hotel called the Rosa garden, it was an inexpensive hotel for an overnight.

4 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

How was the Caesar? Meant to try this on last cruise but somehow didn't get round to it. 

If it's anything like the Caeser's on the Joy and the Encore...meh 😞

Seriously, if they are not using Mott's Clamato and rimming the glass with celery salt, it's just not a Caeser...so any of you trying one on the ship and thinking "What's the fuss?", you need to come to Calgary (or any where in Canada)  and try the real deal 🥂

4 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

I know we're not the only folk who chose our Trieste hotel based on its proximity to the terminal!

It certainly played into our choice but it sounds like the shuttle bus picks you up right next to the main pier - perhaps the OP @ziggyukcan confirm? If so, a 5 minute walk in the morning 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brian V said:

Seriously, if they are not using Mott's Clamato and rimming the glass with celery salt...

i've certainly heard of this practice within other contexts, but i'm not entirely sure it would be, um, strictly necessary here. but i can appreciate the need for finishing with celery salt, for sure.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Brian V said:

If it's anything like the Caeser's on the Joy and the Encore...meh 😞

Seriously, if they are not using Mott's Clamato and rimming the glass with celery salt, it's just not a Caeser...so any of you trying one on the ship and thinking "What's the fuss?", you need to come to Calgary (or any where in Canada)  and try the real deal 🥂

It certainly played into our choice but it sounds like the shuttle bus picks you up right next to the main pier - perhaps the OP @ziggyukcan confirm? If so, a 5 minute walk in the morning 🙂

Yes, the pick up is the far left (facing water) of the pier.

• Thanks 1

A bit of a shock yesterday, out friends surprised us and showed up on the cruise, even in disguise with a wig 😂

I deserve it though, we did it to them on the last cruise 4 weeks ago 😂🤣 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

A bit of a shock yesterday, out friends surprised us and showed up on the cruise, even in disguise with a wig 😂

I deserve it though, we did it to them on the last cruise 4 weeks ago 😂🤣 

Had to be done! Payback time! 😂

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ItsWani said:

I hope you have a fantastic cruise! We will be taking the same one at the end of the month!

Would you be able to provide pictures of the Freestyle dailies? 😊

I have not been able to download them from the app and not saved any so far but will try to save some going forward.

• Like 1

How busy would you say the train was to Trieste? We will be flying to Trieste Airport and taking the train from there. Just a little concerned about finding seats and space for luggage, since most cruise passengers will have joined the train in Venice.

Edited by Muckyduckway

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I have not been able to download them from the app and not saved any so far but will try to save some going forward.

I’ve got them! I can post first couple of days of you like!

• Like 1