Ship Capacity

LCS54

It all depends on you definition of capacity. At the moment some decks or part thereof have been set aside for crew and passenger quarantine. With this in mind they won’t be sailing to full capacity. I understand that some routes it is pretty. Near full capacity. 

Our Grand Princess Alaska cruise, capacity 2600, had 1107 the first week and just under 1500 the second week.  Spoke to a lady on Oceana and she said they were under 50%.

On Discovery to Alaska last week it was 3400 out of 3600 or so capacity. That means big crowds in the buffet at peak times, huge crowds in all inside venues during bad weather and at night, and the biggest shock for me, not a single seat available for a 9:30 production show after it started. I was way too spoiled by 40% or so capacity on two earlier Majestic sailings. I at least learned one thing--going to a show a half-hour early to grab a seat meant over an hour surrounded close by people on all sides, which is the most likely place when I picked up Covid--I got an exposure notification on my phone that I had a positive contact that day, and my symptoms kicked in the day after I got off the ship. So on my upcoming 3 cruises until the end of the year I'm passing on any place where I can't social distance for extended times, and I'll go back to dining after 8 pm and saying "I got covid on my last cruise so I want a socially distanced table".  My other intentions for adapting to higher capacity is to spend more time on the ship on port days, skip excursions, and avoid the Pacific coastal cruises I used to love, since the cold weather means everyone is inside and it's more difficult to sit outside all day. I'll also avoid school break times and summer, as well as longer cruises, to minimize crowd stress and infection risks. 

• Like 1

Cruise lines in general are selling as full as they can (aside for rooms held aside for quarantine). Artificial occupancy caps have been eliminated.  Cruise lines want, and need, to sell as many rooms as they can in order to recoup the losses and pay down debts accrued during the shutdown.

Expect ships to be full going forward 

• Like 2

Hi,

and 100% capacity is defined as 2 people per cabin. During holiday season many families travel with kids and use cabins with more than two beds. Thus expect 100%+ utilization.

cheers

MouseBerry

• Like 3

2 hours ago, antsp said:

You've got Covid, so now you can't for a while, time to live again 

That’s not true of the 

latest 2 newest Variants here in California, from what I was just reading.  You can keep getting them over & over.    There is no vaccine yet for these latest Variants.  They are supposed to be working on it. Very easy to catch, but not too serious only a few deaths. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Ronnieslady said:

That’s not true of the 

latest 2 newest Variants here in California, from what I was just reading.  You can keep getting them over & over.    There is no vaccine yet for these latest Variants.  They are supposed to be working on it. Very easy to catch, but not too serious only a few deaths. 

That's correct. Just read yesterday that the 2 variants that have been spreading in Europe and are now dominant in the US, BA.4 and especially BA.5, are very good at overcoming immunity that may have been afforded from exposure to prior variants. I know 2 people who had Covid within the past 2 months and just recently contracted it again, one of whom is very sick (she had the J&J vaccine when it first came out, and no boosters because she'd gotten Covid and thought she was protected). 

Be careful out there.

On our Grand Princess Alaska cruise we wore masks at all times, including on shore, only went to two lectures and sat in the very back row with no one near us, had a table for 2 for meals and spent most of our time relaxing on our balcony.  A very relaxing trip.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rj59 said:

On Discovery to Alaska last week it was 3400 out of 3600 or so capacity. 

On Discovery Princess 6/26 -7/3 Alaska it was 3460 out of 3660. With rooms set aside for quarantine that's basically 100%. 2 weeks in a row

Did all shows masked but didn't mask at dinner, adult beverage at piazza music. As a result: just like rj59 (got an exposure notification on my phone that I had a positive contact that day) Me too!! I'm still negative. Wishing rj59 a rapid recovery

Edited by Ombud
2nd quote wn show up

On 7/9/2022 at 7:00 AM, LCS54 said:

Are Princess ships sailing at full capacity?

We sailedon the Royal Princess out of Vancouver on 6/25 and were told the ship was at app. 65% capacity. No crowds, lines anywhere except when we went into Glacier Bay and most of that was outdoors.

• Like 1