Bottled water, policy change?

1 minute ago, ddean52 said:

Can we still pack bottle water in our luggage? Thanks

As of our March 27 cruise we could still carry it on. 
It cannot go into checked luggage. 

• Like 1

I always chuckle at these type of threads. Being a tech geek, I researched the systems that make the onboard tap water on any modern cruise ship. The difference between common bottled water and ship potable water is… The bottle.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Bxc53 said:

I always chuckle at these type of threads. Being a tech geek, I researched the systems that make the onboard tap water on any modern cruise ship. The difference between common bottled water and ship potable water is… The bottle.  

I've been on 5 cruises on two cruise lines, never once had bottled water.  I always brought my own bottles and either filled in my room or transferring from the dispensers in the common areas.  Never a problem.

• Thanks 1

We all carry various forms of hydroflasks.  We used to buy bottled water in bulk.  We now live on a well and combined with our filter have excellent water.   We havent bought bottles in a few years. I still do buy bottles when I travel even if I carry my flask, mainly in case the refill options are low.  My first cruise was a small vessel from fl to bimini, a day cruise on a no name cruise and the water was terrible. Also some of the early carnival cruises we took also had water issues.  At this point I agree, I drink ship tap water, but not having to carry my flask off the ship, and also not trusting water on the islands, I see the usfullness of some bottles.

22 hours ago, Bxc53 said:

then why do my ankles and lower legs swell if I drink too much ship water but not at all if I stick with the bottled water only? I did notice that the bottled water they use has a higher dissolved organic particle (forget the name) than what W.H.O. recommends. W.H.O. recommends under up to 150ppm but RCI's bottled water has 166.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

then why do my ankles and lower legs swell if I drink too much ship water but not at all if I stick with the bottled water only? I did notice that the bottled water they use has a higher dissolved organic particle (forget the name) than what W.H.O. recommends. W.H.O. recommends under up to 150ppm but RCI's bottled water has 166.

Funny you should say that. I started bringing bottled water because my feet and legs swelled so badly they were painful. Doesn’t happen since I began bringing the bottles. 
I don’t have a clue as to the reason. 

1 hour ago, wolfcathorse said:

55 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Funny you should say that. I started bringing bottled water because my feet and legs swelled so badly they were painful. Doesn’t happen since I began bringing the bottles. 
I don’t have a clue as to the reason. 

The reason is that the ships systems work too well. Everything is removed from the water, not just the salt. Some important minerals, mainly magnesium, is completely removed. Magnesium plays an important role in water retention. It affects everyone differently, but some people (as you know) can experience significant, even painful water retention when they don’t get enough magnesium.  

10 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The reason is that the ships systems work too well. Everything is removed from the water, not just the salt. Some important minerals, mainly magnesium, is completely removed. Magnesium plays an important role in water retention. It affects everyone differently, but some people (as you know) can experience significant, even painful water retention when they don’t get enough magnesium.  

Whatever the cause, I have also found that drinking too much ship water causes my ankles to swell as well.  I don’t mind drinking it. It tastes ok. I just try to drink bottled water also. 

14 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

ah, makes sense, I'll start adding a magnesium supplement to my packing

15 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This is true, but the modern, larger ships ( meaning most mainstream cruise ships) have a mineralization step after the desalination/ purification process. Without the mineralization, the water tastes very flat. Try a sip of distilled water for example. The actual amount and content of the mineralization can vary, but generally mirrors the ‘ generic’ bottled water products.  

4 minutes ago, Bxc53 said:

This is true, but the modern, larger ships ( meaning most mainstream cruise ships) have a mineralization step after the desalination/ purification process. Without the mineralization, the water tastes very flat. Try a sip of distilled water for example. The actual amount and content of the mineralization can vary, but generally mirrors the ‘ generic’ bottled water products.  

Its funny that i cant tell the difference between any water product. 

I guess i dont pay enough attention to it , as long as its wet im ok with it .

I have friends that hate Disani bottled water ,  why ?