Why do people carry on Luggage

ThaNectar

1 hour ago, Dthomas1 said:

I've done the same with the plastic bladders bought from Amazon. Works like a charm.

They hold 2000ml so 2 ltr. Fill it half way and add yellow food coloring just in case they say drop the pants. Stick the tube into your shorst. How far will they go? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, john91498 said:

We do it because it's easier to smuggle booze on board. Security has longer to look at checked luggage. For carry on, security has a few seconds to scan to keep the line moving. Much easier to get booze on board. 😀

You really can't smuggle too much on carry ons that wont be too obvious.

I've smuggled 2 litters worth of booze in fake lotion containers and it worked.

Not sure i could get those same larger containers with my carry on.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cableguynoe said:

You really can't smuggle too much on carry ons that wont be too obvious.

I've smuggled 2 litters worth of booze in fake lotion containers and it worked.

Not sure i could get those same larger containers with my carry on.

I used 2 of the 32oz plastic flasks on a few occasions. X-ray won't even pick them up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, john91498 said:

I used 2 of the 32oz plastic flasks on a few occasions. X-ray won't even pick them up. 

OK good to know.

Maybe it depends on type of flask. My understanding is that they're actually more likely to go through your carry on and find something, even if xray didn't catch it. In fact, all the sellers of Disguised Flasks online specifically say to NOT take on carry on, since on checked bags they're really looking for weapons and that kind of thing and will only open your luggage if it's totally obvious.

This is what I will be taking on my cruise tomorrow. Used something similar years ago.

Packed in ziplock bags with my wife's other similar looking containers.

flask.JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cableguynoe said:

OK good to know.

Maybe it depends on type of flask. My understanding is that they're actually more likely to go through your carry on and find something, even if xray didn't catch it. In fact, all the sellers of Disguised Flasks online specifically say to NOT take on carry on, since on checked bags they're really looking for weapons and that kind of thing and will only open your luggage if it's totally obvious.

This is what I will be taking on my cruise tomorrow. Used something similar years ago.

flask.JPG

How could you possibly wash them out completly? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dthomas1 said:

What I use are called Rum runners, not bladders. Slide it inside a pair of pants.

7 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

They hold 2000ml so 2 ltr. Fill it half way and add yellow food coloring just in case they say drop the pants. Stick the tube into your shorst. How far will they go? 

4 hours ago, cableguynoe said:

OK good to know.

flask.JPG

You guys are all WAAAAAY smarter than me. Bravo! Smuggle more. Don't let carnival win!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What I meant by packing inside of a pair of pants was inside the carry on

in the middle area. They have to do a very quick search with baggage

to load passengers. I've never encountered a problem. I used what's

shown above but prefer Rum runners to carry 750ml on at once. Hey

it sure is a money saver with the costs on board.

Edited by Dthomas1
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Dthomas1 said:

What I use are called Rum runners, not bladders. Slide it inside a pair of pants.

I mentioned using Rum runners. After reading an above post it is bladders that I use.

They are plastic and lay pretty flat tucked inside packed pants in the middle of my carry on. I've never

had an issue and worse case scenario is found they'll just take it.

Edited by Dthomas1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dthomas1 said:

I mentioned using Rum runners. After reading an above post it is bladders that I use.

They are plastic and lay pretty flat tucked inside packed pants in the middle of my carry on. I've never

had an issue and worse case scenario is found they'll just take it.

71BDj1hIP2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

I never carried on my own luggage until my last cruise (Alaska in May 2022). 

The Seattle porters were still taking luggage off the Spirit as it was late coming into port that morning. The port check-in employees kept telling those of us in line to give our luggage to the porters, and the porters kept saying that they weren't taking any luggage. No way were we just going to drop our luggage off to someone who was refusing to take it, so we carried on. It wasn't that bad (besides some of the elevators on the ship not being available), and we might continue to carry it on in the future.

• Like 1

All I can say to all you smugglers is  -  Why ya'll???  Know I am likely to get slammed for this, but got to say it and don't care.

I know drinks can be expensive on the ship, but really.  Either save a few bucks before you cruise and step up... or maybe drink a little less?  

Always got to be those that have to break the rules 🙄

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, wemjam said:

All I can say to all you smugglers is  -  Why ya'll???  Know I am likely to get slammed for this, but got to say it and don't care.

I know drinks can be expensive on the ship, but really.  Either save a few bucks before you cruise and step up... or maybe drink a little less?  

I confess. Did it once. Now I may have 3 or 4 drinks on a 7 day cruise. Not worth mesing around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

Just think how many more drinks Carnival could sell if they priced them reasonably? As the prices continue to increase, more will smuggle, drink in ports or skip drinking altogether. There is a point of diminishing returns on price increases. Keep prices reasonable and folks won't bother with smuggling or trying to figure out ways around blatant gouging and will probably spend more freely. The truth works both ways.  

*This message should not be construed as a pro smuggling message, just the facts.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Just think how many more drinks Carnival could sell if they priced them reasonably? As the prices continue to increase, more will smuggle, drink in ports or skip drinking altogether. There is a point of diminishing returns on price increases. Keep prices reasonable and folks won't bother with smuggling or trying to figure out ways around blatant gouging and will probably spend more freely. The truth works both ways.  

*This message should not be construed as a pro smuggling message, just the facts.  

Yes, I understand that.  But in the both ways column.  If everyone that smuggled indeed paid for drinks and those that share the cheers when they shouldn't indeed paid for drinks... maybe Carnival could lower the price of drinks/cheers.

Reminds me off an old adage my husband told me once.  A farmer from a large farming community wanted to paint his barn so he went to the hardware to get his paint, red was the cheapest so he bought the 20 gallons of paint he needed.  When he asked the owner of the hardware as he was checking out, "why is it the red paint is so much cheaper then the other colors?"  The owner responded and said, "it's cheaper cause I sell so much more of it around here and I get a bigger discount cause I buy more." 

Moral:

Farmers paint their barns red cause the paint is cheaper/Hardware sells the paint cheaper because they sell more 🤪

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, wemjam said:

Why?   Because the pricing of mixed drinks is nuts, as is the price to buy a bottle of liquor onboard.  As one of the others posed, maybe more down to earth prices ($90 for a $30 bottle of liquor????) would decrease the smuggling.  It's not always about being cheap or not having the money, but more about not getting fleeced/taken advantage of because you are a "captive audience".  

We will occasionally smuggle a small amount (like a 10oz flask) and once replaced wine with vodka (and a few drops of food coloring).  We aren't big drinkers so we would lose money with the Cheers program.  

Thing is, no matter how many people smuggle liquor, Carnival will still keep making money on it because the majority don't care.  It's like NFL teams that allow tailgating.  Thousands of fans eating and drinking up before a game, and the lines for food and drinks aren't any shorter.

To address the original topic, we carry on backpacks and usually a small bag with all of our electronics and important items (change of clothes for the evening) in case the luggage is late or "lost".

• Like 1

How does the OP know that someone struggling with their luggage is carrying on ALL they packed?  Maybe they gave the porters $20 for their oversized heavy bags and are just trying to get the rest of their overpacking on without putting out more $$$ ???

Many do overpack.  Personally, all I need is my 21" Delsey carryon and a shoulder bag and I'm good for a week long Caribbean cruise.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 2:29 PM, john91498 said:

We do it because it's easier to smuggle booze on board. Security has longer to look at checked luggage. For carry on, security has a few seconds to scan to keep the line moving. Much easier to get booze on board. 😀

Everything I’ve seen says to check your booze luggage because they have so many bags to go thru and are more likely to miss it… Let's pretend you are sneaking booze in a carry on.. What would be the best way to hide it? Not that I or any of my fellow cruisers would ever consider to do something so very bad… But, for research purposes….

• Like 1

I think part of it is how some of us feel both going and coming.  We get very excited leading up to cruise day, but we are even more excited about coming home to see our beloved pets.  Although there are other reasons (e.g., don't have to bother with the airport carousels) the main reason we pack everything in carry-on's and backpacks is 1) it allows us to get home to the pets which is no less exciting than going on a cruise, and 2) we learned from Rick Steves, Fodors and others it's so much more convenient when we compare the two options.

• Like 3