britannia serenity area

vrodpaul

Given that P&O have removed so many of the things which were paid for and should have been included in cruises, because they haven’t recruited enough staff, perhaps an appropriate recompense for that might have been to remove some of the extra charges tacked on over recent years.

Somehow can’t see that happening though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, vrodpaul said:

just looking at the p & o web site and it now shows that there is " a little extra " for the use of this area, is this true

I assume the little extra refers to the retreat which is forward of the serenity pool area. There was certainly no charge for using this area last month.

I used The Retreat for a day on my Christmas cruise 2021.  I was charged £35 for the day if I recall correctly.  They would not at first allow bookings for a single day but pushed a whole voyage package.  As we were very low in passenger numbers they relented and offered day tickets. Your key card was necessary to enter.

If it was free last month that would appear to be a policy change.

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I used The Retreat for a day on my Christmas cruise 2021.  I was charged £35 for the day if I recall correctly.  They would not at first allow bookings for a single day but pushed a whole voyage package.  As we were very low in passenger numbers they relented and offered day tickets. Your key card was necessary to enter.

If it was free last month that would appear to be a policy change.

It was the serenity pool area that I was saying was free.

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Given that P&O have removed so many of the things which were paid for and should have been included in cruises, because they haven’t recruited enough staff, perhaps an appropriate recompense for that might have been to remove some of the extra charges tacked on over recent years.

Somehow can’t see that happening though.

Harry, you should know by now that we passengers are expected to ‘reset’ our expectations! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Harry, you should know by now that we passengers are expected to ‘reset’ our expectations! 

Sorry. Forgot about that. Silly, really - I’ve had my expectations reset so many times since 2010 they’re barely recognisable!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vrodpaul said:

just looking at the p & o web site and it now shows that there is " a little extra " for the use of this area, is this true

What does it actually say? There is the serenity area, for adults and which is just along from the lido pool. This is or was free to use. Then behind closed doors there is the retreat area which has a charge to use. 

it has three different areas stated, the retreat, the oasis and the serenity, all of which say "a little extra"

we have booked the cruise and also purchased the 2 week pass for the retreat at the same time, i was told that we will be able to use the serenity area as well as the spa included in the price of the retreat deal, the rep on the phoned was a bit vague as to whether if you did not have this deal you could use the serenity area free of charge, it will not matter to us as we have the deal, but having been on the britannia a few times before and always used this area foc, it would pxss us off if we only found that out when onboard

2 hours ago, emam said:

What does it actually say? There is the serenity area, for adults and which is just along from the lido pool. This is or was free to use. Then behind closed doors there is the retreat area which has a charge to use. 

Correct. Always use Serenity pool as it has some shady bits and comfy seating. Quiet too. Never tried Retreat as it is expensive and I cannot see the point of it for me.

2 hours ago, vrodpaul said:

it has three different areas stated, the retreat, the oasis and the serenity, all of which say "a little extra"

we have booked the cruise and also purchased the 2 week pass for the retreat at the same time, i was told that we will be able to use the serenity area as well as the spa included in the price of the retreat deal, the rep on the phoned was a bit vague as to whether if you did not have this deal you could use the serenity area free of charge, it will not matter to us as we have the deal, but having been on the britannia a few times before and always used this area foc, it would pxss us off if we only found that out when onboard

That's strange, charging to sit on the deck. When we were on the serenity area was always packed, it was easier finding somewhere else.

16 hours ago, loveheart said:

You don't pay any extra for Serenity. 

Hopefully will stay that way.  On Regal Princess which is the identical ship to Britannia all the canopied areas were made additions to the Retreat and were chargeable.  It looked a very odd mix but basically you were paying for the better placed beds in the area and had a pink mattress and towel.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, vrodpaul said:

just had it confirmed today that the serenity area is still free but the cabanas in that area are "a little extra" they do not know yet how much for how long

Jeepers, the Princess ones cost a fortune!! I think I recall a post somewhere by Wowzz on the Princess forum which mentioned in excess of $140. I'm sure he'll be able to recall it?

Just found the post he answered to:

Sanctuary update: we made it up there again and there are in deed cabanas inside the Sanctuary, but at a higher cost. A full day is $220 for two people or $140 for 1/2 day. With that you get a mini-bar with your choice of beer or wine and a high tea service. You also get the tea service at the cabanas by the Retreat pool, but no mini-bar. 

Edited by Megabear2
Additional text

39 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Jeepers, the Princess ones cost a fortune!! I think I recall a post somewhere by Wowzz on the Princess forum which mentioned in excess of $140. I'm sure he'll be able to recall it?

Just found the post he answered to:

Sanctuary update: we made it up there again and there are in deed cabanas inside the Sanctuary, but at a higher cost. A full day is $220 for two people or $140 for 1/2 day. With that you get a mini-bar with your choice of beer or wine and a high tea service. You also get the tea service at the cabanas by the Retreat pool, but no mini-bar. 

Blimey, the way it's going they'll be charging for seats in the buffet next!

Are you talking about Britannia? Cannot see how that is going to work out!   Not really cabanas there, just a wooden frame. No electricity for a minibar. P&O do not charge in dollars either! Think he might be referring to Celebrity who do have chargeable cabanas around the lawn area. There is no pool in the Retreat either. 

No having just come off Regal I can confirm that the wooden frames (which are in exactly the same place as on Britannia) have had some sort of light covering put over the top.  The beds now have thick pink mattresses on them and when o looked every one had a reserved sign on it.

The only sunbeds not reserved were in the open.