Just off Radiance 7-11-15; Had a great time! Quick thoughts...

We arrived from San Diego at about 10:30, got on the ship by 11:15, muster then drink in hand by 11:35

First time on Radiance and given all the talk of cutbacks, low staff etc, we were cautiously optimistic. We were on Miracle in March that was rumored to be just 700 on board so we did not know what to expect.

We had a great time. I will briefly go over a couple points both good and bad but overall, I would rate it a 90\100.

Ship looks amazing. Both the interiors and exteriors looked exceptional. Love the decor.

Food:

Loved Shaqs chicken. I ate there for most lunches. I would say that I feel it surpasses Guys burgers on quality, taste and variation. Wife loved the tenders. Like the thin crispy steak fries. Guys was Guys. I still think it's a good burger. Fries nice and crispy. Line moved fast. Tried the new Funderstruck and was thoroughly disappointed. The bean spread does not work. The cheese is poured on killing any taste of the meat patty. I did like the fried jalapenos. Big miss for me.

MDR; excellent. Lots of reports of two hour dinners across the fleet but our food came out hot and fast. Appetizers were good and entrees all tasted okay. I thought the jambalaya and the pork spareribs could have been better. But I enjoyed my steak. Wife enjoyed her sea bass and salmon. MDR for breakfast was excellent as well.

*I also did enjoy Pig and Anchor. Wish it was open more than one day though.

Service:

Excellent. Everywhere we went staff greeted you with a good morning, good evening, "hello" etc. Dining staff were top notch and treated my wife lovely since it was her birthday. Room steward, excellent. And I am not usually a big CD guy (unless it's Kendall Fire) but Gabe did a great job and the Adult Game show was a blast.

Bands and musical acts were all excellent. Waiters in all locations were quick and easy to find.

Room:

Looked great. No issues what-so-ever.

Really, it was great cruise. We've been to Ensenada and Catalina so many times we don't get off any longer. Just chill by the pool pretty much until dinner.

If I had to have one criticism of the ship it would be with the layout and I realize that can't be addressed. With the piano bar and the Red Frog pub so close to each other, I would seem to me that the piano bar player had his audio volume up to 11 to perhaps cancel out the outside noise of the bands in Red Frog. The piano bar was simply too loud for us. And loud, high volume noise\music doesn't generally bother us. It was simply unbearable to my wife and I. And with Alchemy right there, don't go expecting a quiet drink in Alchemy either.

*Note on the Adult Game night - it is raunchy. If sex talk, sex acts, sex humor is not your bag of tea, avoid it. Wife and I had a great time though. Arrive VERY early.

**Pizza - on most nights from 11pm to 1am, it would seem that the pizza staff generally had their act together with pizza's coming out almost every minute or two. The pizza rack of uncooked crusts looked to be full every time we stopped in. I think I never waited more than five minutes for a pizza (sometimes even going back for a second)

***I really liked the Carnival 50th Golden Ale they had for sale.

That's it! Had a great time and happy to report no fights!

• Like 11

48 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Great review, looking to get one in on this ship in the near future. One question, is Big Chicken as good or better than the gold standard Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich?  

Never had Popeye's, but Shaq's is damn good. Gotta get the jalapeno slaw and some spicy bread and butter pickles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Great review, looking to get one in on this ship in the near future. One question, is Big Chicken as good or better than the gold standard Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich?  

While I love Popeyes fried chicken and chicken strips, I believe Shaq's is a better sandwich. Popeyes uses a flour dredge method while I believe Shaqs is more of a cornmeal crust.

I think it's personal preference, but I think the thinner chicken and crust on the Shaqs makes it a better sandwich.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, boufa said:

Headed to the Radiance Aug 1st, just did check in.  Thanks for the review.

Great! I would recommend heading to the back of the ship as soon as possible (if you want to sit by a pool). It's much quieter and a lot less kids running around, and crowd is subdue. The DJ music was getting annoying as well when the main pool area was busy.

During port days it's easy to get a chair but get their early on sea day as chairs are being hoarded by 7am.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Great! I would recommend heading to the back of the ship as soon as possible (if you want to sit by a pool). It's much quieter and a lot less kids running around, and crowd is subdue. The DJ music was getting annoying as well when the main pool area was busy.

During port days it's easy to get a chair but get their early on sea day as chairs are being hoarded by 7am.

Thank you very much. 

Personally, I am a frequent cruiser but my teens are not, it's only cruise #2 for them (and cruise #2 for us on Carnival).  I generally walk/explore all the public decks and orient myself when I get onboard, as well as eat and settle in.  Hope for some pool time, but don't know yet... gonna sit back and let the kids take the lead on this cruise.  Only nudge them along so we don't get stuck thinking about what is next, or steer them away from obvious mistakes.

My last few cruises have been significantly reduced capacity... kinda got spoiled! (though in some cases they reduced offerings more than capacity.  When you are at 60% occupancy, but cut 50% of the buffet, you actually make lines longer!)

Edited by boufa
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, boufa said:

Thank you very much. 

Personally, I am a frequent cruiser but my teens are not, it's only cruise #2 for them (and cruise #2 for us on Carnival).  I generally walk/explore all the public decks and orient myself when I get onboard, as well as eat and settle in.  Hope for some pool time, but don't know yet... gonna sit back and let the kids take the lead on this cruise.  Only nudge them along so we don't get stuck thinking about what is next, or steer them away from obvious mistakes.

Lots of kids and teens on board. I believe the cruise director indicated 1100 "kids" on board. Not sure if that's everyone under 17 etc.

If you're kids are outgoing, they should have no problem meeting other teens to hang out with.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 4:03 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

On 7/15/2022 at 9:40 PM, pc_load_letter said:

While I love Popeyes fried chicken and chicken strips, I believe Shaq's is a better sandwich. Popeyes uses a flour dredge method while I believe Shaqs is more of a cornmeal crust.

I think it's personal preference, but I think the thinner chicken and crust on the Shaqs makes it a better sandwich.

I respectfully disagree. Shaq's chicken isn't going to compete with popeyes, KFC, or chik-fil-a. Shaq's is better than a lot of options on the ship though.

14 hours ago, victory2020 said:

What was the occupancy? I have a cruise on hold for Aug 15 - hoping kids will be back in school by then. any thoughts from parents?

Fewer kids on board than earlier in summer as many schools start back by or before mid August. I see prices drop that week which is also an indication that demand and capacity are going to be down from peak.  Hopefully this will reduce the number of 3rd and 4th berths occupied. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrSea said:

I respectfully disagree. Shaq's chicken isn't going to compete with popeyes, KFC, or chik-fil-a. Shaq's is better than a lot of options on the ship though.

Shaqs is an entirely new franchise and frankly, KFC is and has been garbage for years.

Shaq is expanding rapidly...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/shaquille-o-neal-plans-to-open-50-big-chicken-restaurants-in-texas-and-name-a-dish-after-charles-barkley/ar-AAZvX5X

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pc_load_letter said:

Shaqs is an entirely new franchise and frankly, KFC is and has been garbage for years.

Shaq is expanding rapidly...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/shaquille-o-neal-plans-to-open-50-big-chicken-restaurants-in-texas-and-name-a-dish-after-charles-barkley/ar-AAZvX5X

I didn't realize that it was on land too. Maybe the land restaurants will be better.

5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Fewer kids on board than earlier in summer as many schools start back by or before mid August. I see prices drop that week which is also an indication that demand and capacity are going to be down from peak.  Hopefully this will reduce the number of 3rd and 4th berths occupied. 

Thanks.  How far south of the Windy city? I'm originally from Urbana

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrSea said:

KFC and Chik-fil-a should not be mentioned in the same breath as Popeye's. Not even in the same league. Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich is king of the cluck! 😁 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's good to hear that the long lines and poor service that was regularly reported during the early summer seems to be a thing of the past. I can't wait to try this Big Chicken joint, probably next year on Celebration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

KFC and Chik-fil-a should not be mentioned in the same breath as Popeye's. Not even in the same league. Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich is king of the cluck! 😁 

Disrespecting Chik-fil-a...those are fighting words

I kid. It's all the same to me tbh. I just don't really appreciate the difference. The exception is Hattie B's Hot chicken. Have you tried? It's worth a flight just to try if you are a big chicken fan (I like steak more).

2 hours ago, DrSea said:

Disrespecting Chik-fil-a...those are fighting words

I kid. It's all the same to me tbh. I just don't really appreciate the difference. The exception is Hattie B's Hot chicken. Have you tried? It's worth a flight just to try if you are a big chicken fan (I like steak more).

I don't dislike Chik-fil-a, it's just overrated IMO (compared to Popeye's). It's a good sandwich no doubt but I wouldn't wait in a line for it like I would at In-n-Out for a double-double and some animal fries. 😁

Hattie B's is at Cosmo and I've meant to try it a few times I but never got around to it, usually stuck on Eggslut sandwiches (gaucho is fire). I will be sure to try it next time I'm in Vegas though. Heard good things. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I don't dislike Chik-fil-a, it's just overrated IMO (compared to Popeye's). It's a good sandwich no doubt but I wouldn't wait in a line for it like I would at In-n-Out for a double-double and some animal fries. 😁

Hattie B's is at Cosmo and I've meant to try it a few times I but never got around to it, usually stuck on Eggslut sandwiches (gaucho is fire). I will be sure to try it next time I'm in Vegas though. Heard good things. 

I heard Eggslut is so good. But I didn't have time to try it. I am regretting it, but I will have to visit next time I am close to one.

I will admit that Chik-fil-a is overrated. People treat it like the 2nd coming of Jesus. It isn't.

In n out though...worth the wait

• Like 2